The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread | Page 280 | Vital Football

The great big short Summer Transfer and "What the hell do we do now" Thread

I rate Cash very highly, but come on, you can’t start putting Yates in the same bracket as Lolley or Grabban - he’s done absolutely nothing to merit being put in a bracket with those two.

I’m not dismissive of anybody but he’s been okay... long way to go before I’m convinced he’s our best option in the middle.

I am not putting him in the bracket at all. I am putting fans in the bracket.

Nobodies on his back - I just raised concerns about how comparable he was to our best midfield last season. It’s a forum and discussing opinion on a player is part of what makes it a forum.

I hope he becomes brilliant for us, but in my opinion, he’s a long way off that at the moment based on where we want to go as a club.

If you care to go back a pip, I think you will find that HE is yet again on his back

I don’t see Yates as a defensive midfield player, in the Watson or Colback role but as a combative, tackling box to box midfielder, similar to Sow. His job is to win the ball as early as possible and turnover play, preferably in oppositions half. Failing that to drop back and form a wall in front of back four. If he gets the ball, to move it on quickly. Because he has plenty of energy doing this he probably makes a half chance per game for himself. At present he either snatches at it or is half a second too late, as he was with header yesterday. This will come, with confidence and experience. He will get 10 a season. His tackling is becoming an art timing and force.

With Colback out, possibly for a couple of weeks, who fills the holding position. Fred injured so Cafu. Or does CH trust Yates and Arter to rotate. I felt they did it very well second half and feel that will be enough v Rotherham. Rely on two fullbacks moving up and filling midfield. Is it time And right game for two strikers. Or start with one with that as option if no lead after an hour.

It’s time one of our strikers scored but Yates is just as likely.

Walker is also 30 so time isn’t on his side particularly as his only real asset is his pace.

Walker has suffered a little of late as Guardiola has not been playing him as an orthodox full back, sometimes in a more central role.

He was outstanding against Arsenal on Saturday by all accounts; all of the pundits on MOD seem to think he is in the form of his life

Yates is a fantastic player and if we develop him right will be the next one we sell for big money.

He will get even better alongside better players.

Some people only focus on when Grabban misses a chance; no doubt they would rate a striker higher if he wasn't good enough to get in position to miss in the first place. Perhaps the sort of people who would believe Trump's idea that if America didn't test so much they wouldn't have as many Covid cases.

Likewise, some only seem to focus on the times Yates misses a pass or the things he can't do (often stuff he's not even meant to be doing).

Yates has bad games and can be ineffective in some. Even I was hoping to see someone else in his spot at the end of last season because we needed people with a bit more attacking impact.

But he has come on even in these last three months and we look a better side with him in it

Totally agree.

He has played in four of our five league games and has been arguably out best player in three of them.

I don’t see Yates as a defensive midfield player, in the Watson or Colback role but as a combative, tackling box to box midfielder, similar to Sow. His job is to win the ball as early as possible and turnover play, preferably in oppositions half. Failing that to drop back and form a wall in front of back four. If he gets the ball, to move it on quickly. Because he has plenty of energy doing this he probably makes a half chance per game for himself. At present he either snatches at it or is half a second too late, as he was with header yesterday. This will come, with confidence and experience. He will get 10 a season. His tackling is becoming an art timing and force.

With Colback out, possibly for a couple of weeks, who fills the holding position. Fred injured so Cafu. Or does CH trust Yates and Arter to rotate. I felt they did it very well second half and feel that will be enough v Rotherham. Rely on two fullbacks moving up and filling midfield. Is it time And right game for two strikers. Or start with one with that as option if no lead after an hour.

It’s time one of our strikers scored but Yates is just as likely.

I did not really see us playing with a defensive midfield player sat in front of the defence on Saturday.

The most noticeable thing about our defensive shape was the two solid row's of players defending as a unit.

Both full backs defended more than they have as late and did not get forward as much as they have been doing; this was interesting to watch as the strengths of both Christie and Ioannou are in bombing forwards.

Another noticeable thing was the amount of players getting into the box when we attack; the wide players now have targets to hit.

It looks like Hughton is not changing too much, but the subtle changes he has effected will hopefully make us a difficult side to beat again, with probably more threat going forwards.

The work rate is definitely there, which is always a good base to build from.

Last edited:
TAA is the only one ahead of him on his recent showing.

Class player and some of the residents experts said he was shit CP, just as they do Yates, Grabban, Joe etc etc

Not a chance
Best full back in EPL is the Lad at Chelski - Reece James

According to Paul Taylor via an Athletic chat, the 25 player squad was merely a suggestion by the EFL, and won't be enforced...so all players in our Megatron squad are available.

Good - because I think we are going to need them
Games coming thick and fast -means injuries & suspensions
Just look over the river @ Notts - played over the weekend without 4 players tested positive for COVID - that can happen at any time to any team.

Good - because I think we are going to need them
Games coming thick and fast -means injuries & suspensions
Just look over the river @ Notts - played over the weekend without 4 players tested positive for COVID - that can happen at any time to any team.

Squad of 25 (plus under 21’s) is in EFL rule book, 43.9. On scanning am unsure of date for submission. As transfer window is closed, assume now??? Before next game. If we play someone not on squad list, automatic 3 point deduction.