The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 93 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Very young.RIP.

Yes saw this last night and can’t help but think what might have been, it’s very sad. Remember seeing in the news that he broke the marathon world record in Chicago last year and that he was gonna break the 2 hour barrier this April in Rotterdam. When you look at his mile splits for Chicago it’s mine blowing how good he was, absolutely no let up for 26.2mi and probably makes it look easy.

Yes saw this last night and can’t help but think what might have been, it’s very sad. Remember seeing in the news that he broke the marathon world record in Chicago last year and that he was gonna break the 2 hour barrier this April in Rotterdam. When you look at his mile splits for Chicago it’s mine blowing how good he was, absolutely no let up for 26.2mi and probably makes it look easy.
Yes, very sad. Just at the beginning of his peak 25-35 best years.

Another rambling log on my fitness programme to help keep myself engaged:

Starting with the ‘low’ - I’m still not particularly happy with the weight-loss side of things - only losing 17lbs since 2nd Jan but I’m trying my best not to dwell on it.

As far as exercise goes I’ve now done 3 weights sessions a week for 3 weeks and it’s feeling more comfortable. My wife commented this morning how my biceps looked a bit bigger (I think she’s trying to gee me up over the weight thing) which I scoffed at but I’ve since looked in a mirror myself and oddly, they do seem fuller. I’m sure it can’t be the weights yet so maybe I lost weight off the top of my arms or doing a session yesterday temporarily plumped them up a bit. In reality it’s more likely just some mental boost I’ve got from feeling happy with how it’s all going and I’m in fact ‘seeing’ something that’s not really there!

Running-wise I’m still on my C25K plan and am about halfway through. I missed 2 sessions last week because I could feel my calf was a touch tight (think from the weights) and I am terrible for pulling leg muscles. I’ve caught back up this week though by not having rest days on the running. The last run on my plan was supposed to be 20 minutes but I went for 24mins. That only got me 3.74km but I think a few more weeks should see me to 5k. I can then start running in the daytime rather than after dark which will be more convenient. At that point I’ll be looking to go further/faster.

I’m still off the Diet Coke and am only drinking water and the odd black coffee. I’ve upped the calories to about 1100 a day and not eating processed foods. The freezer is full of self-prepped meals.

If I keep going how I am the long covid will soon be long gone. Feeling positive.

Starting with the ‘low’ - I’m still not particularly happy with the weight-loss side of things - only losing 17lbs since 2nd Jan but I’m trying my best not to dwell on it.

As far as exercise goes I’ve now done 3 weights sessions a week for 3 weeks and it’s feeling more comfortable. My wife commented this morning how my biceps looked a bit bigger (I think she’s trying to gee me up over the weight thing) which I scoffed at but I’ve since looked in a mirror myself and oddly, they do seem fuller. I’m sure it can’t be the weights yet so maybe I lost weight off the top of my arms or doing a session yesterday temporarily plumped them up a bit. In reality it’s more likely just some mental boost I’ve got from feeling happy with how it’s all going and I’m in fact ‘seeing’ something that’s not really there!

Running-wise I’m still on my C25K plan and am about halfway through. I missed 2 sessions last week because I could feel my calf was a touch tight (think from the weights) and I am terrible for pulling leg muscles. I’ve caught back up this week though by not having rest days on the running. The last run on my plan was supposed to be 20 minutes but I went for 24mins. That only got me 3.74km but I think a few more weeks should see me to 5k. I can then start running in the daytime rather than after dark which will be more convenient. At that point I’ll be looking to go further/faster.

I’m still off the Diet Coke and am only drinking water and the odd black coffee. I’ve upped the calories to about 1100 a day and not eating processed foods. The freezer is full of self-prepped meals.

If I keep going how I am the long covid will soon be long gone. Feeling positive.
17lbs since January is very good. Weight loss and body transformation does not happen over night. It takes time. It's probably going to be 2 years until you get to your desired target.

But every workout and healthy meal you eat is extending your life.

None of us are perfect. I fluctuate in weight a lot. Mainly due to injuries. But keep grafting.

Watch David Goggins on YouTube.

Brilliant . Well done. Try lifting something that's 17 lbs and see how heavy it is. That's a fair amount to lose and done in a sustainable way is much better than a quick loss.

When It's time to do the 5k non stop , try and do a Park Run if possible. It really is a great thing.

Park Run cancelled today which was a shame as it would have been my first one in a new age category so all my gradings etc would have been better.

Still we did a steady 4 miler instead , but it was a bit treacherous in places.

The Looe 10 Miler is today. It's a very tough, extremely hilly course at the best of times but today it is absolutely hammering it down. Not stopped for hours. The mini miler kids fun run has been cancelled because of the conditions and well done to anyone who actually completes today's challenge.

So my big challenge for the first half of the year is the Birmingham half marathon ( Villa permitting ). Decided I'm going to train properly hard for it and see how much under 2 hours I can get. Before then , I've booked the Wolverhampton 10k which is a very decent event despite starting and finishing at the Custard Bowl.

So my big challenge for the first half of the year is the Birmingham half marathon ( Villa permitting ). Decided I'm going to train properly hard for it and see how much under 2 hours I can get. Before then , I've booked the Wolverhampton 10k which is a very decent event despite starting and finishing at the Custard Bowl.
It would be good if it started at the Moulinex and went to Villa Park. Put it in the suggestion box

My BMI is 31.1, but getting it down is one of my main aims.

Went for a 5k run today, got soaked, saw a naked bloke stood in the middle of the road (no idea, police were present) and although it was tough I managed a time of 30m 45s, which is probably the fastest I've managed in a good 10 years.

It's a shame my jeans care more about the BMI than the running!

My BMI is 31.1, but getting it down is one of my main aims.

Went for a 5k run today, got soaked, saw a naked bloke stood in the middle of the road (no idea, police were present) and although it was tough I managed a time of 30m 45s, which is probably the fastest I've managed in a good 10 years.

It's a shame my jeans care more about the BMI than the running!
Very decent time.

I did Park Run today and took it steady as I gave blood in the week.

26.40 so I was quite pleased with that.

Very decent time.

I did Park Run today and took it steady as I gave blood in the week.

26.40 so I was quite pleased with that.

I imagine shifting my excess 3st will take another minute or two off my times but I can't ever seeing me get down to 26/27mins - and you said that was taking it easy! I'm impressed.

I imagine shifting my excess 3st will take another minute or two off my times but I can't ever seeing me get down to 26/27mins - and you said that was taking it easy! I'm impressed.
Keep going. You'll be surprised.

I'm usually about 24 mins or so , but I'm going to train hard for the Birmingham Half Marathon so it may affect my Park Run times short term.