The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 71 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still disgusted that England won yesterday. How dare they do that.

Me too. DIsgusting. Southgate hasn't got a clue. How dare he play the match winning forward, or the 2 best defensive midfielders in the premier league in central midfield. Disgraceful.

(Trippier at left back was confusing though)

Me too. DIsgusting. Southgate hasn't got a clue. How dare he play the match winning forward, or the 2 best defensive midfielders in the premier league in central midfield. Disgraceful.

(Trippier at left back was confusing though)

As Shearer said, it wasn;'t the team that he would have chosen, bet you could put 100 of us in a room and very few would match exactly what others choose.

BUT that it is the results that matter and Southgate got the result.

And it might just prove (we don't know yet) wise to have not used Jack yet, he might be better unleashed against the teams in the next stage after we progress.

Fair enough ripping it all apart if we'd lost, that would be fine, that is football. It is a results game, he got the result.

And agree on Trippier, said the same yesterday.

The way the England (I hesitate to use the word) team played after the first 20 minutes yesterday, I know of a few Sunday league pub teams that would have got results against them.
Prediction is they'll struggle to get out of the group stage and then go out in the first knockout game.

The way the England (I hesitate to use the word) team played after the first 20 minutes yesterday, I know of a few Sunday league pub teams that would have got results against them.
Prediction is they'll struggle to get out of the group stage and then go out in the first knockout game.

So you know a few Sunday League pub teams that are far better than Croatia who are ranked 14th in the world?

Amazing.

I don't understand how dismissive people arfe being about Croatia.

They may be a few years older and wiser, but essentially it's still the same team that reached the World Cup Semi final at our expense 3 years ago.

They have some great players, but we put them on the back foot from the 1st minute and they never really got into the game. Surely we deserve some credit for that rather than just saying "Oh Croatia are useless".

So you know a few Sunday League pub teams that are far better than Croatia who are ranked 14th in the world?

Amazing.

A few that would have over-run that team that "performed" yesterday.
And yes Croatia were just as bad.
There have been some very good, one might even say great, performances in the tournament so far. I'm specifically thinking of the Italian and Belgian games there.

The Italy game was very similar to the England game for large parts of it. i.e. the opposition were tight and only trying to nick a point.

Both Italy and England kept plugging away and eventually made their breakthrough. Only difference is when italy scored Turkey crumbled whereas Croatia remained resiliant.

A few that would have over-run that team that "performed" yesterday.
And yes Croatia were just as bad.
There have been some very good, one might even say great, performances in the tournament so far. I'm specifically thinking of the Italian and Belgian games there.

England v Italy would be a totally different game. You can't predict the performance from the Croatia match.

Italy in all honesty were vastly superior against a team as good as Croatia.

I'm sorry but Turkey are not as good as Croatia. No way in the world.

Italy were very good but fact remains for the first 50 minutes they were frustrated and limited to a few half chances.

England on the other hand came flying out of the blocks and could have been 3 up inside 20 minutes... at that point Croatia finally got their act together and tightened things up, and until we scored they played like Turkey played in the 1st half of their match.

End of the day big credit to Italy and England for doing enough to break down their opponents, but lets not start being silly and saying Turkey are as good as Croatia.

I don't understand how dismissive people arfe being about Croatia.

They may be a few years older and wiser, but essentially it's still the same team that reached the World Cup Semi final at our expense 3 years ago.

They have some great players, but we put them on the back foot from the 1st minute and they never really got into the game. Surely we deserve some credit for that rather than just saying "Oh Croatia are useless".

Dont think people are being dismissive of Croatia mate. I just think people are looking at it from how they played yesterday. The Croats were shocking, offered nothing going forward. We should have buried the game but instead created very little chances against a very poor team. (They have good players no doubt about it, just didnt perform).

But we beat them. They offered nothing going forward coz they were intent on frustrating us and getting a point, but we found a way through and beat them.

Think we deserve credit, not moaning. We're not going to blow everyone away 6-0

But we beat them. They offered nothing going forward coz they were intent on frustrating us and getting a point, but we found a way through and beat them.

Think we deserve credit, not moaning. We're not going to blow everyone away 6-0

I'm not moaning, I'll take the win. Just would have preferred us to play with more intent. Kane was poor, Foden was poor, Mount offered little, Sterling scored but other than that was average. Its not a moan, we can do better and we have to do better if we want to progress further.

I think they're similar. If they played each other it would be a close game. Croatia aren't what they were 3 years ago due to retirements and other remaining key players getting old.

It was a relatively conservative team picked by GS, but it did the job. The only critisism could be that England didn't win the way you wanted them too, which I'd share.

Not much of a criticism though is it? I suspect French fans were saying the exact same thing 3 years ago. They were pretty conservative that whole tournament and won the bloody thing.

Well done lads, solid win. Hope there's more to come though, and I think there is.

Croatia were underwhelming that’s for sure. No Mandzukic or Rakitic who have now retired, Modric 35 and probably doesn’t have the legs anymore, a few decent players in Italy but I don’t think they will do as well as the World Cup where they rightfully deserved a great run to the final (at our expense)

Through an Ancestry DNA test, I only found out this year that I have around 15% Scottish blood flowing through my veins (+ around 85% Irish) which to be fair the Scottish result shocked me!

Good luck to Scotland today and especially to SJM.

NEW
Posted at 14:0514:05
LINE-UPS at Hampden Park
Scotland v Czech Republic (14:00)
Scotland: Marshall, O'Donnell, Hendry, Hanley, Cooper, Robertson, McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Dykes, Christie.

Czech Republic: Vaclik, Coufal, Boril, Celustka, Kalas, Soucek, Kral, Mosopust, Darida, Jankto, Schick

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50940774

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.