The Emi Martinez Thread | Page 110 | Vital Football

The Emi Martinez Thread

Love him, I knew once it went to pens the king would step up......well done Emi.
I knew Emi would, didn’t know whether the takers would. Ollie slipped, Leon saved, Youri’s wasn’t great and wasn’t happy when Matty stepped up. Was sure when WCD stepped up.

Growing up I looked up to keepers like Buffon and Kahn and although I admired Villas keepers none of then ever really stood out as elite. This guy is the real deal. Absolutely world class and a winner. We are so lucky to have him!

Last edited:
Absolutely world class. A sandwich short of a picnic but a master of shithousery and a born winner. Definitely the difference tonight as on many occasions since he signed

Growing up I looked up to keeps like Buffon and Kahn and although I admired Villas keepers none of then ever really stood out as elite. This guy is the real deal. Absolutely world class and a winner. We are so lucky to have him!
Glad you mentioned Kahn especially as Martinez had that "weight" or "aura" you just don't see so much anymore. He affects a game so much even when he's not making saves but through just being on the pitch.

Simply the difference between winning and losing a shootout, don’t care about the shit housing and long may it continue. Villa have missed this sort of character for years, the one everyone loves to hate!

I think he is the best keeper we have ever had.
He's a generational player and might be among the top 10 keepers ever because someone like Buffon never won the Chumps Lge.

I've made this argument about every keeper every current Premier Lge. keeper. Nobody will remember Ederson or Alisson in 10, 15, 20 years but they will remember Emi.

They're all like De Gea they won't be remembered and they've done nothing for their countries.

I’ve been watching football since the mid 90s so nearly 30 years. Martinez is one of the best keepers I’ve ever seen in that time period.