The Emi Martinez Thread | Page 39 | Vital Football

The Emi Martinez Thread

Doesn't strike me as someone who'll just up sticks, after all we gave him the chance to prove himself in his own right and look where that's got him . Saying that tho money always talks so we'd be talking mega bucks.

You have to much faith my friend. If we don't provide what Emi wants either football, financially or both then he will happily wave us goodbye. Have no doubt . He won't even think about the fact that we somewhat resurrected his career. He is our only genuine world class player and if we don't pull our finger out and start competing consistently in the top 6 he will be off.

You have to much faith my friend. If we don't provide what Emi wants either football, financially or both then he will happily wave us goodbye. Have no doubt . He won't even think about the fact that we somewhat resurrected his career. He is our only genuine world class player and if we don't pull our finger out and start competing consistently in the top 6 he will be off.
That's a fair point, maybe include a lifetime pass to Drayton Manor in any new contract negotiations?

Think Emi is part of the good feel factor around BMH. He's openly stated he's fallen in love with football again and a lot of that will be down to the team dynamic. So while I agree with you longer term, I think while he's enjoying things, we have a little bit of wiggle room. I think we'll need CL football to keep him long term.

It will only take Real Madrid to find £100m from somewhere and he'll be off. We can talk about how much he loves the club etc but this is football at the end of the day. I'm with you on this, we'd be naive to expect anything else, especially after what happened in the summer.

Genuinely. Facing the truth . Based on Grealish events. We are going to have to fight to keep him . There will be huge interest.

I started posting similar yesterday but I thought it would be inflammatory to a few so I didn’t post. We have to be proactive and ambitious to keep Emi. He’ll be in demand for any top European club needing a number 1, and could be an improvement on a few number 1’s such as De Gea or Mendy.

If he became the highest paid player at the club next summer that would be a sign of intent from a financial perspective for him.

I started posting similar yesterday but I thought it would be inflammatory to a few so I didn’t post. We have to be proactive and ambitious to keep Emi. He’ll be in demand for any top European club needing a number 1, and could be an improvement on a few number 1’s such as De Gea or Mendy.

If he became the highest paid player at the club next summer that would be a sign of intent from a financial perspective for him.
All we can do is throw money at him. I also think he's better captain material than Mings and we could consider that. But unless we're pushing right up the table anytime soon his head will be turned.

You're talking about someone who is already one of the best in the business and his rep will grow now he's Argentina's number one, the best number one they've had since at least the days of Pumpido and Goycochea and he's IMO better than them. I think we'll be doing very well to be keeping Martinez next season.

All we can do is throw money at him. I also think he's better captain material than Mings and we could consider that. But unless we're pushing right up the table anytime soon his head will be turned.

You're talking about someone who is already one of the best in the business and his rep will grow now he's Argentina's number one, the best number one they've had since at least the days of Pumpido and Goycochea and he's IMO better than them. I think we'll be doing very well to be keeping Martinez next season.

The biggest threat would be one of the top Spanish teams, but Real, Barca and Atletico already have quality number ones themselves, so not sure they would want to be throwing £70m+ at a new Keeper. Unless Newcastle start making silly bids I think we should be safe for at least a couple more years

Yes it would.
And even highest paid might not be enough. See Mr Grealish.

Absolute world class keeper. And could well be the best ever bit of business we have done if the value goes to what it should in line with the others mentioned. 20 million to about 70 million.
Holy shit !.

It is unbelievable really that he and Jed are the same age and until he got his break at Arsenal they had both been permanent understudies or out on loan all their careers. Fair play for sticking at it when most would have given up

Yup. Kepa was £72 million so if anyone came sniffing it wouldn't be silly if we quoted £90 million for Emi. Hypothetical at the moment , but I wouldn't be selling him for any money.

I guess he'll go as soon as someone shows up with the right money. We thought Greasy was different because he claimed to be one of us. If he can be so easily lured away by the guarantee of medals and filthy lucre at Citeh, I don't think we can expect more of any of the others.

I guess he'll go as soon as someone shows up with the right money. We thought Greasy was different because he claimed to be one of us. If he can be so easily lured away by the guarantee of medals and filthy lucre at Citeh, I don't think we can expect more of any of the others.
Everyone has a price and at 29 he's only got , what 5 more seasons before he becomes a veteran for even for a keeper. Yes some go on until they're 40 but most don't not at the top level

Everyone has a price and at 29 he's only got , what 5 more seasons before he becomes a veteran for even for a keeper. Yes some go on until they're 40 but most don't not at the top level
Well Messi has been talking him up plus he has been nominated for the award. Messi gets back to PSG and tells Pocc who is also an Argie just how great Emi is.. This is what happens when the go away and get tapped up by their team mates.

Don't tar all players with the same brush. Greasy is basically a chav and acts and thinks like one. Other players think differently. All want to play top football, but that's not necessarily the same as playing for the one and only "top club with a top manager".

We need to lose the Villa inferiority complex. We're probably the best PL club to be at outside the top 4, and can improve on that.

Until we're playing Champions League football we can forget about ever holding on to any top class players for very long. It's where they all want to be.