The Emi Buendia Thread | Page 57 | Vital Football

The Emi Buendia Thread

i thought he looked poor for the first two thirds of the season but the final third he started to flourish. I'm expecting a big season from him in 22/23

I just think Coutinho is one of the best footballers I've seen in a Villa Shirt and Buendia is a player we have had many of over the years.
I don't think he's a bad player but he is nowhere near Coutinho.
We are not comparing Ronaldo and Messi here. More Messi and Grealish are both good players but one is world-class the other could be.

Stats can't measure the same metrics as all matches and situations are different, so many variables.

To me he's been a big let down basically because of all the hype about him being better than Jack when we signed him , the bravado that we wouldn't miss Jack because this bloke was some sort of super star.
It's turned out that Jacob Ramsey is a far better player and we already had him.

I hope he sorts his head and temperament out this season, the skill is there for sure

I am 100% with you, I will say on stats on the whole you can see Coutinho is an elite player because most of his stuff is top 10 and 20% of Europe. I always thought Emi was coming in to play with Jack and its a pity we didnt see it and its honestly a pity we didnt see him play with Ramsey too.

I fully agree with you on Ramsey, I think Ramsey will be better than Jack at least in the sense that Ramsey is playing in the position and doing what Jack wanted to do and doing it at a higher level. Jack wanted to be a #8 who could lead from midfield. Ramsey is actually doing that and doing it at an earlier age and higher level.

One thing I'll say for Emi2 is he will start hitting his peak when Coutinho is starting to decline so I just hope SG gets us to a level where we actually do see the best of Emi. There is a player in there but he has a few things to tighten up.

Talented boy right enough but needs to play in a more consistent way. Giving the ball away too often is likely to be punished in the big boys league. Competition for midfield places will be intense next season and a his best, Emi is a delight but football is a team game and he needs to accept the discipline at this level.

Talked up more than any signing I can remember and very much failed to live up to the billing. Very disappointing overall but let’s be honest it was a shit head of a season for most.

Another one who needs a big season next season. There is quite a few of them when you think about it. Players, recruitment to prove they can get it right and of course Stevie G.

I thought he was shambolic save the final few weeks of the season. Lightweight, petulant, a liability giving the ball away cheaply. He did finally start to bed down though. Big season ahead , I expect him to hit the ground running

Think Emi was very unfortunate beginning with an injury and in the most shambolic start to a Villa season I can remember. He also seems to be expected to be judged against the completely OTT delusional predictions made by one specific forum member who seems to have slinked off in embarrassment.

I'd summarise as: moments showing real quality; unfortunate with Coutinho coming in as automatic starter just as he was finding his rhythm; sub appearances and couple of starts towards the end of the season hopefully showing we'll see the best of him next year.

Think Emi was very unfortunate beginning with an injury and in the most shambolic start to a Villa season I can remember. He also seems to be expected to be judged against the completely OTT delusional predictions made by one specific forum member who seems to have slinked off in embarrassment.

I'd summarise as: moments showing real quality; unfortunate with Coutinho coming in as automatic starter just as he was finding his rhythm; sub appearances and couple of starts towards the end of the season hopefully showing we'll see the best of him next year.

Fair point . Not Emi2's fault that some were ridiculously over the top when he arrived and tbh still are in one case . Things like saying that it's baffling signing PC and starting PC over Emi2. Really is bizarre and seems desperate to say I was right, told you so. Although its so OTT I suspect a bit of winding up is going on.

Personally don't really give a toss if he is successful or not. Long past loyalty to footballers in a Villa shirt.

Personally don't really give a toss if he is successful or not. Long past loyalty to footballers in a Villa shirt.

I'd take us winning 15 home games next season, that would be far more important than any player's success.
I really don't care as they clearly just see it as a well-paid job and are very quick to move along if they aren't getting a game.

I think they are both good enough players to work out a way of playing together successfully. I think Gerrards preferred way is with two No. 10's so I'm sure they will be working hard on that partnership in pre season.

I like him, he's a little warrior with lots of talent and great in tight spots. Not all his passes come off but that's largely because he's trying to unlock defences, not just fluffing basic passes.
How come we find it such a stretch to envisage playing with two creative 10 types when top sides are awash with them.