The Emi Buendia Thread | Page 56 | Vital Football

The Emi Buendia Thread

No not really. Main point was that we started the season with quite a few in and around their international set up and ended with considerably less. That hasn’t been the manager improving players which is a worry.
Perhaps the international managers have sussed they aren't really that good

Yup. Which is why I said in my original post that it is a big season (for many players and the manager) . Excuses have been exhausted this season. No room or time for any next season. 4 season back . Walk the walk time.

yep Buendia Luiz Mings and Watkins all need to buck up their ideas to make the Villa side, never mind their world cup squads

Well yeah. Couple of flashy 10 min cameos then he played well against championship Burnley away. Then we failed to register a win in the next 4 games when he played.. He was as bang average as the rest of them. Not sure it was that good form .

Last edited:
Well yeah. Couple of flashy 10 min cameos then he played well against championship Burnley away. Then we failed to register a win in the next 4 games when he played.. He was a bang average as the rest of them. Not sure it was that good form .

Yes we as a team were shocking on the run in

His first season was a little disappointing but he has shown signs of improvement as the season progressed, and was actually better than Countinho in the final month or so in my opinion. I remember when new signings were allowed time to settle in and would be judged more on their second season, so I think it's positive that Buendia has been gradually getting better rather than some of these guys who hit the ground running and then get worse!

Even though it hasn't been a huge success, if you look at his stats his key passes per 90 minutes is right up there with the most creative players in the league, so there are positive signs there and I think Gerrard's biggest challenge is working out how to get Buendia and Coutinho to operate on the same page as both offer a lot of creativity

A bit harsh on a player who took time to settle, yet when he did he was arguably our best player (when allowed on the pitch).
In a team full of individuals making mistakes trying to adapt to a system contradictory to what had gone before (and for which they were bought) I wouldn't be focusing on Buendia's mistakes especially (as was the case) plenty of mistakes were being made by SG and his coaching team.
If they're prepared to make allowances for Phil (BTW I like Phil), then they should also be making allowances for Emi and to try and fashion a team that makes use of both their strengths instead of sacrificing one (that's assuming they have the capability to do so).

I am just saying for Emi to proceed to the next level he has to cut out losing the ball. Whataboutism doesn't matter here, Emi isn't ousting Phil without fixing the issues in his game. I love both players, I prefer Phil because he is better however I'd love to see both in the team. I do think it'll be difficult to play both unless we change our system or get a top CF in.

The only area Emi2 really excels in is defensively, you can rarely say he's a luxury and you're carrying him. In either case I think our other players need to do more because both players have had things not come off because the players around them aren't on their levels. Emi2 could have had double figures in assists if players took their chances and Phil is in Grealish territory some players seem in awe of him and don't help him.

I keep reading this but I can't actually remember any chances we've missed that he's set up by that I mean real clear cut/sitter types of decent chances. Nothing I think wow how did he miss that sort of thing

Nope. Me neither. But it was said for a long time this season. Think it was just desperation to make good from what the reality was, which was a very disappointing season from him.

Players who play for a team finishing 14th in the PL will struggle for international recognition. Bowen from WH would have struggled if he was playing for Villa last season.

Lets not write anyone off, see how preseason goes and make some judgements after the first 5 games. Happy to sell Trez, Anwar, Davis, for the right price, but want us to keep the first team together and add to them. We have no guarantees that our new signings are up to the task…..yet.

I keep reading this but I can't actually remember any chances we've missed that he's set up by that I mean real clear cut/sitter types of decent chances. Nothing I think wow how did he miss that sort of thing
Nope. Me neither. But it was said for a long time this season. Think it was just desperation to make good from what the reality was, which was a very disappointing season from him.

If you were to trust statistics he has achieved exactly what the stats would say he should have got. I definitely remember a couple of through balls that were wasted by both Ings and Watkins, I want to say one of them was even in the Watford game at home.

I am firmly Coutinho > Emi2 however there are areas

With that said he is sloppy, statistically you can see it and I see it with my own eyes too. Coutinho just doesnt lose the ball but Emi does, I think Emi is always trying to make something happen whereas Coutinho is much more selective which makes him more effective but thats just my opinion.

Emi Stats
Phil Stats

Neither Coutinho or Emi2 played well last season and I think a lot of that is tactical. They had nothing in front of them to play balls through for. Our strikers kept dropping deep, recieving the ball and giving it back to Phil/Emi or losing it.

Hopefully this new elite coach has some tactics on him.

If you were to trust statistics he has achieved exactly what the stats would say he should have got. I definitely remember a couple of through balls that were wasted by both Ings and Watkins, I want to say one of them was even in the Watford game at home.

I am firmly Coutinho > Emi2 however there are areas

With that said he is sloppy, statistically you can see it and I see it with my own eyes too. Coutinho just doesnt lose the ball but Emi does, I think Emi is always trying to make something happen whereas Coutinho is much more selective which makes him more effective but thats just my opinion.

Emi Stats
Phil Stats

I just think Coutinho is one of the best footballers I've seen in a Villa Shirt and Buendia is a player we have had many of over the years.
I don't think he's a bad player but he is nowhere near Coutinho.
We are not comparing Ronaldo and Messi here. More Messi and Grealish are both good players but one is world-class the other could be.

Stats can't measure the same metrics as all matches and situations are different, so many variables.

To me he's been a big let down basically because of all the hype about him being better than Jack when we signed him , the bravado that we wouldn't miss Jack because this bloke was some sort of super star.
It's turned out that Jacob Ramsey is a far better player and we already had him.

I hope he sorts his head and temperament out this season, the skill is there for sure

Think we'll see the best of him and Coutinho next season with a dedicated DM in place and players around him who play quick one and two touch passes instead of the usual aimless punts/ Hollywood balls we've been seeing- very similar to how we actually played in Gerrard's 1st few games in charge

Emi is a good honest professional with plenty of talent. He could so easily have thrown a strop when dropped, but he didn't as his attitude is spot on. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Emi in Villa colours, whilst ignoring his detractors, who unsurprisingly like to be negative about a number of our players.