The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 81 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

two thirds of those 100 games was for a side who finished 17th and 14th. No doubt this will also be seen as a "myth"

The pace of the EPL is still way higher than Italy and Spain

two thirds of those 100 games was for a side who finished 17th and 14th. No doubt this will also be seen as a "myth"

The pace of the EPL is still way higher than Italy and Spain

And 11th. Oops...selective narrative memory there.

No myth about the facts you state , strange to suggest otherwise. Any facts you can regale us with regarding speeds of players and the game in general across the Premier league and European league ?. No. Didn't think so.

No football in the world is played at the same relentless pace than the Premier League. Therefore, it is unsurprising that players clock up some blistering top speeds as they try and keep up with the action. It is impossible to compete in the Premier League without having at least a little bit of pace.

also

John Obi Mikel has claimed that Romelu Lukaku is struggling to adapt to the pace of the Premier League after rejoining Chelsea from 'slow' Serie A.

Lukaku was crap at Man Utd as well yet did well for Albion and Everton. Nothing to do with him being used to a slower pace and everything to do with him being better in teams that get the ball forward quicker and supply him with crosses. He's actually worse in slower, more technical teams. But if vaunted crab midfielder Jon obi mikel says otherwise then it must be true.

Never felt Dougie had a real connection with the club, the I want to stay here sort of connection; if true then I think he's off.

Eh?. Who else is it we have that has a want to stay 'connection' to the club. Boyhood, my club, cut me in half and I will be Claret and blue Jack Grealish...oh..hang on....

You do know this is football in 2022. Connections and love for a club are well and truly over mate .

Eh?. Who else is it we have that has a want to stay 'connection' to the club. Boyhood, my club, cut me in half and I will be Claret and blue Jack Grealish...oh..hang on....

You do know this is football in 2022. Connections and love for a club are well and truly over mate .
Nope. There are players who form connections with fans, who enjoy being here and show it. Doesn't mean that they'll stay or that they don't think of where else they might be. but while they're here they'll support the club . Emi and Tammy are a couple of examples.

Will be gutted to see him go to be fair.. for me a valuable squad player to have. Another player we'll need to replace if he goes and fork out big money for. Only positive I can think of is if this happens then surely bringing someone like Gallagher in is a must right?

Will be gutted to see him go to be fair.. for me a valuable squad player to have. Another player we'll need to replace if he goes and fork out big money for. Only positive I can think of is if this happens then surely bringing someone like Gallagher in is a must right?
i think Kamara is the replacement so its done already

Luiz is a decent player and may improve. However he lacks a little bit of pace and is poor in the tackle. We need better to move to the top half PL level. Italy would / will be right up his street.

I’d add to that I don’t believe he has ever quite got up to the pace of the league, and at 24 years old with 3+ years playing in the country, I feel a bit underwhelmed by him as he hasn’t pushed on.

I’ve always said the same, the continent will suit him and I’ve no doubt I’ll read comments on here saying “why did we sell him?” when he’s playing in the UCL. But it just feels like one of those transfers which is right for both parties to me.

I’d add to that I don’t believe he has ever quite got up to the pace of the league, and at 24 years old with 3+ years playing in the country, I feel a bit underwhelmed by him as he hasn’t pushed on.

I’ve always said the same, the continent will suit him and I’ve no doubt I’ll read comments on here saying “why did we sell him?” when he’s playing in the UCL. But it just feels like one of those transfers which is right for both parties to me.

One of the Malaysian Villans commented that he plays within himself. I think he is right.

He often looks like he has just shot his bolt before he stepped on to the pitch.

I can’t really agree with the above, but the only criticism I would agree with is about him pushing on. When the league restarted post lockdown he was amazing and emerged as one of the best in the league in his position.

He never hit those heights again for us but nevertheless for me at least, has still been a good player for us.

Ironically think he'd thrive as the second no.8 in place of McGinn in the system we're now trying to play but looks like he'll not get the chance.
I think he's a bit of a half and half, not quite an "8" not quite a "6"; somewhere in between, ironically not a "7" though as apparently that's completely different. Who made up these silly numbers?

Anyway, I think Luiz will thrive somewhere, but needs to be in the right system. I never thought he was too bad under Smith, although he was obviously not the most defensive player I felt he always fitted the system well being nice and composed in the middle to keep the ball moving in possession between defensive/midfield and attack. But under Gerrard there seems to be more of a requirement to do more of the dirty work in the middle and it left his weaknesses a little exposed. Possibly not the worst thing to move him on if we can make a profit, and maybe there's someone a bit more dynamic who can do a better job for us as an out-and-out "number 8".