The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday? | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday?

Not for me it won't, having experienced far too many. For me it would be like packing them off to University, as a proud parent, knowing that they can always come back again...should they ever want to.

It's time for them to be smaller fishes, that would undoubtedly grow fast, in a bigger pond.

Not for me - last para anyway. No real experience at L1 level yet. They pay close attention to the league above and below in addition to the league they’re in - probably the first season they’ve really focused on the Championship and we’re only 6 games in.

I’m sure they’ll succeed at a higher level but then plenty of others have looked nailed on success stories and are struggling.

At least 1 season in L1 feels like the Cowley method to me. Time will tell.

Not for me - last para anyway. No real experience at L1 level yet. They pay close attention to the league above and below in addition to the league they’re in - probably the first season they’ve really focused on the Championship and we’re only 6 games in.

I’m sure they’ll succeed at a higher level but then plenty of others have looked nailed on success stories and are struggling.

I tend to agree. Staying with us is as much about their own football development as anything else. When they step up, they want to succeed and be absolutely prepared to do so.

L1 is playing with the big boys (or at least, one or two of them). The Championship is an even bigger step up. They're not going to take that step until they know as much as humanly possible about what it entails.

If they go who do we bring in. Do the 'dirty' and poach from another club?. Get another young eager manager would be for the beat. Did not Clive invest because we got the Cowleys?.
I would suggest Sol Campbell. Did a very good job at Macclesfield but left due to the money problems and broken promises.

Clive invested before the Cowley’s and his money brought them in.

Of course would love Nicky to lead if Danny to leave. But as most on here, I think he’ll probably go too.

It usually does......

You are correct but let's put it another way.

We are all on here (this message board) because we are passionate about our club Lincoln City. There is no logical reason to support a football club it's an emotional attachment. Is not your loving your family an emotional attachment? I am not saying it's the same level but it's still an emotional attachment at the end of the day though isn't it?

Therefore if things are going great that emotional attachment makes you feel happy. If it's going bad it makes emotionally feel unhappy. We have had the greatest period of success in our clubs history and we could be on the verge of promotion to the second tier for the first time since 1960. I along with the vast majority of Imps wasn't even alive last time we were in the second tier. The reason we are in this situation is because of the Cowleys.

You may be able to say it with a dismissive manner that "It's just a game of football" and in it's raw sense you are correct. However it's just a game of football to those that have no interest in the game. For me and I suspect virtually everyone else on here it is more than just a game of football, it's about passion, it's about identity, it's about friendship and it's about wanting the best for your club and the Cowleys are undoubtedly the best, the likes of which we will probably never see again.

So "It's just a game of football" not on this message board it's not!

Once I've ripped me Danny Cowley poster off my bedroom wall I'll probably be numb for a few days. Probably ring in sick at work. But I'll get over it......eventually.

Can people stop with the "it's not the end of the world if they leave" bravado? Yeah, I know it's not the end of the world, but it might bring a premature end to one of the greatest periods in our club's history, and that would be a real shame. Just because there are worse things going on in the world doesn't mean we can't be sad about this one, if it happens.

Totally agree.
They will be a bigger miss than any that have left previously. And on all levels...the interaction with fans...relationship with players...brilliant media image...and i guess biggest of all - financially.
Even a million + compensation is only a small fraction of their financial worth to the club. They are worth that much and a lot lot more every season they are with us.

Seeing quite about Wednesday breaking the FFP rules, this could put off any potential manager never mind the Cowleys.
A potential points deduction and transfer embargo, nice.

I don’t think for a second that’s what his dream is. He’ll take us to the Championship or leave before he’s even done that.

I think you're wrong. Why wouldn't it be a dream?

Note: a dream is not the same as reality.

I'm going to make an educated guess at Mike Bassett. I will now check Wiki and if I'm wrong try and edit this post before anyone notices.

Edit - Dave Bassett:slap:
Edit 2 - Nope they were in Div. 4 when he took over.

Ah well Cowley would be the first, then.

Good news Folks! I have just submitted my application to Mr Nates .This is merely precautionary you all understand but should they leave ,rest assured the Club would be in safe hands!

Totally agree.
They will be a bigger miss than any that have left previously. And on all levels...the interaction with fans...relationship with players...brilliant media image...and i guess biggest of all - financially.
Even a million + compensation is only a small fraction of their financial worth to the club. They are worth that much and a lot lot more every season they are with us.

And our succession planning when any other manager who has been remotely successful has left has been, frankly, abject. Clive is different gravy I'm sure when thinking about this but anyone looking at the history of our club can see that we have simply failed to capitalise on any success we have had previously.

Seeing quite about Wednesday breaking the FFP rules, this could put off any potential manager never mind the Cowleys.
A potential points deduction and transfer embargo, nice.

That should be put in place for all the Championship clubs so Danny is put off going to any of them ?

I think Sheff Wed will be extremely tempting - the commute is a doddle ( I did it daily for 10 years), the salary increase - massive. The first step on the next ladder, but... we are still very much on the up, and the next offer might come from the premiership if we continue to grow. He’s a very competitive young football manager, and I hope this offer has come to soon, but the situation for their families couldn’t be better... I think it’s 50/50 for us at the very best.

This is NOT just football, if they leave prematurely (before we reach our full potential) I will be gutted about what might have been - already in denial....

On a selfish note, I don't want them leave - ever!

However, I'm so grateful for what they've done for our club, they deserve to hit the big time with a big pay packet and I would like to see them achieve that goal.

We all know they're going to move on sooner or later, but I don't think now is the right time. Although obviously it's not my choice - it's theirs!

If they get us into the Championship at the end of this season, then I think that is our "journey" complete and they'll move on. We'll always be a small club and realistically I think that is the highest level in which we can compete. If we don't achieve promotion will they stick around and have another stab at it? I'm not sure

Also, I think they need to complete this season with the Imps to prove to the rest of the football world that they can compete at this level. Although we've had a great start we've actually just lost 4 of the last 5 games. They've just strengthened the squad to help see us through - this season is still very much a work in progress

We've got a great board of directors and I'm sure they're preparing for the day when Danny & Nicky leave and I wouldn't be surprised if the boys are part of that contingency planning. The trouble with bringing in someone new is they tend to tear things up and start again, so I wonder if they'll appoint from within to try and maintain consistency? McCombe & Frecks perhaps??

Whichever way this goes I think there is a strong possibility that this could be their last season with us. One more at the most