The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday? | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday?

where do you think our peak is?
I think they can get us into the Championship although I think, hope, they'd want to see where they can get us to in L1 in any event.

I don't expect them to be with us in 2021/22, so if they've not done it by then, they'll probably go up without us.

It’ll be contractually agreed already.

I know it wiill be... but contracts can be mutually changed. If higher clubs are as stated offering salaries around 1.5m for them and they respect our club it seems reasonable.

I reckon the cowleys' dream would be to get us into the prem. Only one other manager has got a club from non league to the top tier, and he was shit.

I don’t think for a second that’s what his dream is. He’ll take us to the Championship or leave before he’s even done that.

I'm going to make an educated guess at Mike Bassett. I will now check Wiki and if I'm wrong try and edit this post before anyone notices.

Edit - Dave Bassett:slap:
Edit 2 - Nope they were in Div. 4 when he took over.

I assumed that was who it was going to be suggested. As you correctly point out he joined when they were already in Div 4.

I wasn't going to comment on a football thread, until the Ashes had finished.

The way I see it is this.

Lincoln City existed for 132 years before the Cowleys came, a few of the supporters then can still be spotted in the St Andrews' Stand (The Senility Stand for those of whom weren't around Before Cowley (BC) ). It will continue to exist when they have gone.

For me, I say go for it. An once great club in Sheffield Wednesday, a chance to rebuild it, easy commute and a chance to earn a fair whack.....no brainer.

It's either that, or they will be replacing Trevor Bayliss to introduce some grit and determination in the England Cricket Team and their batting ability.

But seriously, there is no point in holding them back and to me if the family arrangements match with the job, then it makes sense.

We have had successful managers before; Bill Anderson, Graham Taylor, Colin Murphy, John Beck, Keith Alexander and now the Cowley bros. We will have successful managers again.

Go for it fellas and if you get it thanks for everything.

Well, they will go, we know that. They have said repeatedly that they are ambitious and want to challenge themselves at every level.
They have moved on from previous clubs when that ambition could no longer be fulfilled and when the right opportunity had come along.
Three years ago or so we were the right opportunity for them. At some point, another club will be the next right opportunity.
And yes, Wednesday may very well be that club. It would be a move that does not disrupt their children's education, or their home lives. They did after all commute from Essex for some time to manage us, so a far shorter commute to our neighbours in Sheffield is ideal for them.
Wednesday are certainly one of the biggest clubs in the country and in need of revival, and are definitely contenders to get back into the Premier League.
They will have the funds behind them (as much as any other Championship team anyway) and of course could pay Danny and Nicky ten times and more what we ever could.
So, with all that in mind, will they go??
No idea. My own view is they'll stay with us - this time. But, who knows? Yes, more offers will come along for them, but if they keep saying no, will they miss out on the best offer? And is this the best offer so far ?
(If there even is an offer!)
All we do know for certain, is that Danny and Nicky are the best decision makers any of us have seen in football for a long long time. And they will make the right call for them.

And whatever they decide, they will always, always, take our very best wishes with them and our eternal gratitude for the best years our club has ever seen.

Well, they will go, we know that. They have said repeatedly that they are ambitious and want to challenge themselves at every level.
They have moved on from previous clubs when that ambition could no longer be fulfilled and when the right opportunity had come along.
Three years ago or so we were the right opportunity for them. At some point, another club will be the next right opportunity.
And yes, Wednesday may very well be that club. It would be a move that does not disrupt their children's education, or their home lives. They did after all commute from Essex for some time to manage us, so a far shorter commute to our neighbours in Sheffield is ideal for them.
Wednesday are certainly one of the biggest clubs in the country and in need of revival, and are definitely contenders to get back into the Premier League.
They will have the funds behind them (as much as any other Championship team anyway) and of course could pay Danny and Nicky ten times and more what we ever could.
So, with all that in mind, will they go??
No idea. My own view is they'll stay with us - this time. But, who knows? Yes, more offers will come along for them, but if they keep saying no, will they miss out on the best offer? And is this the best offer so far ?
(If there even is an offer!)
All we do know for certain, is that Danny and Nicky are the best decision makers any of us have seen in football for a long long time. And they will make the right call for them.

And whatever they decide, they will always, always, take our very best wishes with them and our eternal gratitude for the best years our club has ever seen.
Good post , agree with everything you've put. When the inevitable does happen , I just hope we get a chance to say goodbye and show our appreciation. I'd hate for them to be whisked away without that opportunity.

I suspect we will know what is happening by the end of today. Just a hunch but I suspect they will go and I wouldn't think any less of them. They are ambitious and human and we cannot hold them back. Plus, we will get a big chunk of compensation to appoint our next manager. I will be gutted but life goes on.

I suspect we will know what is happening by the end of today. Just a hunch but I suspect they will go and I wouldn't think any less of them. They are ambitious and human and we cannot hold them back. Plus, we will get a big chunk of compensation to appoint our next manager. I will be gutted but life goes on.
Championship club, big support, lots of potential, wouldn't need to uproot their families, looking very close to their 'perfect opportunity'. Wednesday fans and a lot of pundits think they are going, and like you I think they will. As you say the next 24hrs will be very interesting.

Can people stop with the "it's not the end of the world if they leave" bravado? Yeah, I know it's not the end of the world, but it might bring a premature end to one of the greatest periods in our club's history, and that would be a real shame. Just because there are worse things going on in the world doesn't mean we can't be sad about this one, if it happens.

I still don't think they will go, but 48 hours after our game and in international week... if anything's going to happen now's the time.

I We have had successful managers before; Bill Anderson, Graham Taylor, Colin Murphy, John Beck, Keith Alexander and now the Cowley bros. We will have successful managers again.

Go for it fellas and if you get it thanks for everything.

That’s all very well, but I’ll argue that the impact of them leaving will be felt far greater and deeper than those mentioned above.

The only comparable for me would be Murph being snapped up after Fulham away in 82’ .... this (impeding) departure will feel like a death in the family.