The Championship Thread | Page 108 | Vital Football

The Championship Thread

I was told that all clubs will get dispensation for existing contracts - All contracts above 10k per week will be set at a nominal 10k per week, with all new contracts counting at their full value towards the cap.

That is the only way they can implement the cap immediately; they expect the situation to level out within three years
I think that is very fair in year one and extremely unfair every year after in regard to clubs coming down from the PL. Existing championship clubs will start season close to their limit while relegated sides will effectively be given a pass

I would hope PL contracts would count for a % of their true value rather than just as 10k. Otherwise those clubs have a huge incentive and scope to splurge.

As would a wealthy L1 club having had a £2.5m wage cap

I think that is very fair in year one and extremely unfair every year after in regard to clubs coming down from the PL. Existing championship clubs will start season close to their limit while relegated sides will effectively be given a pass

I would hope PL contracts would count for a % of their true value rather than just as 10k. Otherwise those clubs have a huge incentive and scope to splurge.

The teams that drop will have existing players recorded at £10k so as Mao says they will want to hold on to these players but not give them new contracts as any new player or contract will be recorded at their full level.

If it comes in I think it’s going to be a step in the right direction. It will certainly clatter Bournemouth if they have a big clear out.

I think it will put the relegated Clubs under more pressure.

They will have a number of players who will want to leave and not play in the Championship.

Usually they would just recycle the transfer money and sign a player on 30 or 40k per week as opposed to the 60 to 80 k per week they would spend if they were still in the PL

Now they will have to think very hard exactly how much they will pay those new players.

The cap will be reached very quickly if the Clubs are restricted to a 25 man squad.

Sign two players on 40k per week and that is 23% of your cap gone.

Is it the Wigan tribunal appeal meeting today? How much longer do independent panel need to deliberate on S&P. Next season will be over before they announce at this rate. Hope Barnsley do sue. It is cheating.

Is it the Wigan tribunal appeal meeting today? How much longer do independent panel need to deliberate on S&P. Next season will be over before they announce at this rate. Hope Barnsley do sue. It is cheating.
It is today, and Barnsley are represented.

Don't want the league decided in courts

I don't think Wigan are cheats

I have seen somewhere allegations they have been fucked up over a bet between owners

I think Wigan have been hard done too. It wasn’t them I was labelling as cheats. They do have some responsibility as to who they choose as owners. We payed the penalty for Fawaz and his accountants.

I think Wigan have been hard done too. It wasn’t them I was labelling as cheats. They do have some responsibility as to who they choose as owners. We payed the penalty for Fawaz and his accountants.
Who is "they" though? The previous owners always choose the current ones. Can't blame Wigan the entity or the fans.

You can blame fans who throw their knickers at clearly bullshitting, incompetent owners just because they put a tenner in their garter

Will he have any funds they were getting close to the edge of ffp, that kid they got decent money for wouldn't have done enough to free up much to spend.

If Wednesday got a deduction you'd imagine the sheep must be in line for one as well, unless their lawyers are that good.

EFL statement;

“The club was charged in November 2019 and referred to an independent disciplinary commission, which conducted a full hearing at the end of June 2020, before finding the club guilty based on the fact that the club should not have included profits from the sale of Hillsborough Stadium in financial statements for the period ending July 2018."

The wording is crucial. The difference between Wednesday and Derby was that, in theory, Wednesday included their stadium sale in the wrong accounting period to avoid an FFP sanction.

The basic statement does not suggest that is what they were punished for. It implies that the stadium sale itself was found to contravene the rules.

If that is truly the case, then Derby surely have no real defence (neither do Reading)