The Cameron Archer Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Cameron Archer Thread

When he first came in he seemed fairly pragmatic but right after that "winter break" in February he immediately flipped to trying to play the "Liverpool way" and thats when our results went south. Then he had to go right back to being pragmatic to stop the rot, as soon as he strung together a few results it was the Liverpool way again.

Immensely frustrating watching us lose winnable games. I do think being a mid-table manager is incredibly difficult because you need to be really flexible. You're expected to dominate against the bottom 6, hold firm against the top 6 and then the middle 8 can be a bit of a coin toss.

To some degree I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I think it woke a few of us up about the quality of some of these players. At the same time the squad he inherited should have finished higher than 14th, throw in Coutinho and Digne and we really should have done much better. This season even with Ollie and Ings up top, 10th is the bare minimum for this squad.
I suspect last season SG was testing his players to see what happened. Don't think he was too worried about our final position. Think this is the season to judge him on.

Great news. He'll definitely get minutes whether it be in the cup or as sub for the misfiring Watkins
He should score more goals, no question, but only Benteke and Angel have scored more than 15 in a PL season THIS CENTURY.

The team as a whole need to do better and create better chances, and someone needs to finish them, whether that's Watkins, Archer or someone else.

Like Archer, exciting prospect but naive to rely on him. We need another striker. Relying on a promising novice behind the pair of Watkins and Ings who haven't worked either together or individually under SG will be tough.

Still think we should be splashing on a better striker tbh.

I think a no.8 is a much higher priority than striker. If we can get the whole team higher up the pitch at the point we win the ball back, we won't be reliant on Ollie having to try and keep hold of the ball for so long up front waiting for anyone to get near him. Ings hopefully has a better season. Archer hopefully pushes the others on by snapping at their heels.

Last edited:
Like Archer, exciting prospect but naive to rely on him. We need another striker. Relying on a promising novice behind the pair of Watkins and Ings who haven't worked either together or individually under SG will be tough.

Still think we should be splashing on a better striker tbh.

I'd love a better striker but who can we actually get? I don't want us going out and buying another CF for the sake of it. The unfortunate fact is Watkins and Ings are our level and finding someone else who'll whack in 15 goals is not going to be easy. We finished 14th, its one thing getting two elite players (Coutinho/DC) in their prime with no resale value (and one still having quite patchy performances). Its quite another thing to sign a CF with true potential or proven ability that isn't wanted by teams far higher in the league than us (e.g. Scamacca/Jesus/Nunez/Haaland).

Thats where I see the issue. Tammy allegedly has an 80M option on his head at Chelsea. Jonathan David if I were to guess will be holding out for a UCL team. Icardi and Gabigoal are headbanger's, Memphis Depay is another probably holding out for a team w/ European Football. I don't fancy the look of many of the top goalscorers in Spain. After Tammy the safest-looking bets are probably Lautaro Martinez and Schick but Schick has UCL football and Lautaro has always looked his best when played in a two. Buying Lautaro would be akin to the mistake we made with Ings who also doesn't look quite as comfortable leading the line.

There is no one in the premier league worth signing and I'd lose the head if we signed another CF from the Championship. Risking it all with Archer and the other two unfortunately might be the best and most financially prudent thing we can do. The last thing we want is another 25M wasted on a CF who isnt better than what we have.

Just my humble but I think it's incredibly naive at this stage of his career and where we are to think Archer will fire us into the top 10. Or dare I say for being demanding and oh so modern.... top 8.

Don't think SG thinks it either hence having to deliberate about whether to keep or loan. Not exactly been a no brainer for SG to keep Archer clearly. SG it appears thinks he has enough in Ings and Ollie striker wise to keep Archer to be 3rd choice and develop with us.