The bye elections (n/g) | Page 4 | Vital Football

The bye elections (n/g)

Really ?:wagging:
What would it add to public discourse to say:
"Fuck Labour" ?
(Whatever some of us might think.)

Who knows, Tarian?

One thing though, there's some money to be made (which should appeal to libertarian capitalists such as yourself)...

Do an experiment, check it out. Search Google images for these two phrases:

"Fuck the Tories", and then, "Fuck Labour".

Compare and contrast your search results. Then discuss.

Rather irritating that we keep hearing Pincher has "resigned". He hasn't. He has stepped down from his role in the Whips office. He certainly hasn't resigned from his major job as an MP, unfortunately.

Reports coming out in the Independent that he has serious form, and not just fhe incident back in 2017. Also had to have a 'minder' follow him around to watch his behaviour. I assume the minder must have thrown a sickie this week.

Waiting for a Johnson apologist to say "oh they are all the same blah blah, what about Abbott having a can of drink on a train blah blah."

Rather irritating that we keep hearing Pincher has "resigned". He hasn't. He has stepped down from his role in the Whips office. He certainly hasn't resigned from his major job as an MP, unfortunately.

Reports coming out in the Independent that he has serious form, and not just fhe incident back in 2017. Also had to have a 'minder' follow him around to watch his behaviour. I assume the minder must have thrown a sickie this week.

Waiting for a Johnson apologist to say "oh they are all the same blah blah, what about Abbott having a can of drink on a train blah blah."

‘Poundshop Weinstein’

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/like-pound-shop-harvey-weinstein-11469572.amp

It’s all quite reminiscent of the end of the Major government.

Uxbridge to the Tories
Somerton to the Lib Dems
Selby tough - I’ll go with Labour (but no illusions as IS used to say)

That area was solid Brexit, just as the vast majority of other constituencies, so that’s not the case.
It’s the outright lies of Johnson that have contributed to the loss of this seat.
Partygate and the lies after.
The majority of people are decent and can clearly see that Johnson isn’t.
You speak as if Brexit was some sort of cast in stone position. Polls suggest that there’s been a significant shift in public opinion. e.g in Somerton and Frome there is a significant farming community. Farmers think they’ve been shafted by some of the trade deals that have been done as a direct result of Brexit. Plus pre referendum promises about replacing EU subsidies have been reneged on. It’s difficult to see that it wasn’t a significant part of how some people voted.

ULEZ cost Labour Uxbridge, or rather Sadiq bloody Khan did.
ULEZ is a direct response to government imposed clean air limits on all local authorities. Indeed at one point the government threatened to reduce TFL subsidies if the targets weren’t met ! And of course Johnson proposed the first ULEZ scheme on the inner London area. The issue is how quickly it is introduced and how much financial support there is for scrappage schemes. Local authorities, including London, have been asking for more government help on this but, of course, it’s not been forthcoming.

Last edited:
Yes.
That is a reasonable analysis.

Yesterday, the anti-Cons alliance got 25,260 votes - of which LD 22,540.

Cons slumped to 16,390 - from over 35,000 in 2017 and 2019.
So over 19,000 Cons stayed at home.

Meanwhile, LDs got very few "swing from Cons".
The LDs did hoover up 10,000 from Labour.

In short, don't believe commentators who cite "swings" that exclude "swing to not voting".

FYI, T & D isn't an obvious LD seat.
Labour came second in 2019, 2017 and 2015.
I don’t believe “commentators”. I do believe pollsters who make their living at determining how much is stay at home Conservatives and how much is genuine party swings. Of course this time, there seems to be some of both. However, to then go on to say (as some do) that it’s not so bad for the Conservatives because they’ll come back to vote for them at a general election maybe treading a dangerous path. Blair’s landslide happened exactly because Conservatives didn’t do that.

What is clear from these By election is their is a will among those who support the Labour and the Liberal Democrats now to see to it that this government must be defeated. Together we have more than enough support to do it .That I believe is a lesson we can take away from the vote in Tiverton and Honiton.
The Tories aren't the majority of this country. The majority of the Tory members voted for Boris Johnson as their leader knowing he was a liar .It is rare for MPs to be as outspoken as they are about another MPs basic principles. Boris is not fit for office.
Boris and other United enough people to see that Brexit was won .

It is time for the anti Tory alliance to see that this shower is drummed out of office at the earliest opportunity. The only way to guarantee that happening is to fight them together.Devon has shown that this can be done even in the most unlikely places.
The growing trend for people to vote tactically for the candidate most likely to unseat the Tory now seems to be firmly embedded. It will definitely be a factor at the next general election.

Agreed.

"Tory Lite" ? Interesting viewpoint.
Many Conservative supporters (and sympathisers) see the current Govt. as "Labour-lite".
- Throwing £ billions of taxpayer's money at problems - something Labour wants even more of

- Proposing legislation that supports censorship or restricts free-speech. Labour established "hate crime" allowing mind-reading as "evidence" - and think the current proposals don't go far enough.

- Failing to tackle the root cause of the cost of housing (i.e. mass immigration). Labour spokesman either openly support mass immigration - or refuse to indicate a limit (number)

How was Labour's demand for Lockdown to be earlier and harsher "Tory-lite" ?

The fact that in T & H, over 19,000 previous Cons voters stayed at home seems strong evidence that for many, the current "Conservatives" are not very conservative.
Of course that must be right. That’s why people flocked in their thousands to those right wing parties that promised to be more “Conservative”. Oh hang on…….

I found it interesting comparing the general election results with the by election results.In every case the winning party have appeared to simply kept there existing vote and added a percentage of Lib Dems/Labour tactical votes . While the Tories have lost a massive percentage of their vote.
The real question this by election asks is will the absent voters be back?
Not sure there is any one answer.

I found it interesting comparing the general election results with the by election results.In every case the winning party have appeared to simply kept there existing vote and added a percentage of Lib Dems/Labour tactical votes . While the Tories have lost a massive percentage of their vote.
The real question this by election asks is will the absent voters be back?
Not sure there is any one answer.
As far back as I can remember by elections always bring out a protest vote when the government is doing badly
This lot have really plunged the depths and I was very surprised they held on to one of the three up for grabs
How people vote next election is anyone’s guess are Labour or the Lib Dem’s a real alternative or is it just hot air
I don’t expect the Tories to be re elected as they’ve been abysmal but I personally don’t have any confidence in the alternatives

ULEZ is a direct response to government imposed clean air limits on all local authorities. Indeed at one point the government threatened to reduce TFL subsidies if the targets weren’t met ! And of course Johnson proposed the first ULEZ scheme on the inner London area. The issue is how quickly it is introduced and how much financial support there is for scrappage schemes. Local authorities, including London, have been asking for more government help on this but, of course, it’s not been forthcoming.
Spot on.

Government deliberately not funding London properly so Khan forced to raise money. Virtually nobody aware of this, sadly.

Spot on.

Government deliberately not funding London properly so Khan forced to raise money. Virtually nobody aware of this, sadly.

The whole ULEZ thing drives me mad, it's trying to get cleaner fucking air ffs.

I live in Bromley on a busy-ish road and have a 9 month old son, I'm very fucking keen for ULEZ to pass so he doesn't have to breath in smog his entire life.

The whole ULEZ thing drives me mad, it's trying to get cleaner fucking air ffs.

I live in Bromley on a busy-ish road and have a 9 month old son, I'm very fucking keen for ULEZ to pass so he doesn't have to breath in smog his entire life.
Ditto for myy daughter who lives just outside the South Circular. Frequent smog warnings last summer and she sometimes had chest pains as a result.

A colleague denied the problem saying he'd never seen anyone drop dead from pollution. 🙄 For once, words failed me.

Attended a councillors meeting yesterday in Rainham,main topic of conversation was planned Red Route through Rainham,from Maidstone Rd to just past Meirscourt Rd for any locals,
Evidently levels in this area are way to high,meter readings are taken outside St Margaret’s Church.