The Borja Baston Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Borja Baston Thread

It's the modern way. Doesn't surprise me at all . Can't say it bothers me either.

I bet it's the exception rather than the rule that managers actually meet the signings prior nowadays. In Deano's case, he is head coach anyway.

Deano even said the other day he likes to meet the player get a feel for his hunger to play etc, this clearly hasn't happened in this case.
Obviously Deano is away with the players but this is a last-minute panic signing of a player he hasn't even met.
I'm certain players normally meet the manager before they sign

Welcome to the Villa, Borja.

I assumed he was coming on loan but it looks like a permanent deal. No mention of the length of contract.

Anyway, I'm sure Fulford will be delighted that we have got three fit strikers.

Deano even said the other day he likes to meet the player get a feel for his hunger to play etc, this clearly hasn't happened in this case.
Obviously Deano is away with the players but this is a last-minute panic signing of a player he hasn't even met.
I'm certain players normally meet the manager before they sign
My missus went out and bought a 4x4 and a caravan last year and I never saw the car until I drove it out of the showroom or looked in the caravan until we were set up on the site. Everything is fine and we have loved the caravan experience. I told her what I wanted in the car and the caravan and left her to do the rest. The reason it worked out OK was that I trusted her.
Dean will have told Suso and Purslow what he wanted and left them to it.

My missus went out and bought a 4x4 and a caravan last year and I never saw the car until I drove it out of the showroom or looked in the caravan until we were set up on the site. Everything is fine and we have loved the caravan experience. I told her what I wanted in the car and the caravan and left her to do the rest. The reason it worked out OK was that I trusted her.
Dean will have told Suso and Purslow what he wanted and left them to it.

You are certainly an exception C&B , certainly not normal

who? Just seen on sky sports manure have signed Ighalo and we turned him down last night. Other big name clubs also sniffed around. Good enough for them but not us so we end up with a guy who can't even get into Swansea's first team because he was cheap. And I thought those days were behind us. If Samatta gets injured we are royally screwed. When was the last time he turned out for Swansea? Another player who isn't match fit. Absolute farce.
And imagine the reaction if we signed a washed up 30 year old from China on £300k a week who hasn’t played 90 minutes since November or at all since early December in a country which is currently on lock down with restrictions on travelling here

I think what sticks in Deans mind is that our form with no recognised striker was actually, barring the City game, pretty good.
So in his mind we have 4 squad players capable of playing in that position - Anwar, Baston, Davies and Samatta.

Good luck to the guy, don't expect much, but he was free so in this day and age and market, can't moan too much

some of his goals at Swansea.
Im very happy to have another body up too even if he hasn’t got he reputation that we think we deserve at AVFC. BUT there will be financial restrictions so I’m happy the club are not putting us into trouble, could be a very astute signing, could not be but let’s give him a chance.

obly thing that worries me is that when he scores, the whole team didn’t run to him to celebrate, maybe he’s not a like able person in the dressing room...

Will Vassilev still get a look in? I hope this doesn’t put his development on the back burner.
I’ll give this bloke a chance but it looks like a stocking filler to me.

He had one good season in la liga about 5 years ago done nothing before or since. 18 premier league games 1 goal and has been loaned out more times than a courtesy car doesn't fill me with confidence but hey we live in hope.

Last edited:
Will Vassilev still get a look in? I hope this doesn’t put his development on the back burner.
I’ll give this bloke a chance but it looks like a stocking filler to me.

He should have been loaned out. But he can play out wide as well so he's now our 3rd choice wide player.

Scored 5 goals for Swansea in the Championship in August. Looks sharp up front. Frankly he has a sharpness which Wesley never looked like having.

Dean now has competition up front, which is what he wanted.