The Aston Villa vs Brighton And Hove Albion Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Aston Villa vs Brighton And Hove Albion Thread

Jack was superb yesterday, totally agree with all the posts. That one run across half the length of the pitch was fabulous.

Looked at the replay on MOTD and agree with other comments, the two yellows were deserved. I guess you could point at the lack of consistency, as others stand in the way of free kicks and don't get them, but the rules are the rules, every player that do that should always get a yellow. The second yellow, what a plonker he was, you can't get away with that usually and when you are already on a yellow, it is ridiculous to take such a risk.

There is probably a tiny smidgen of an argument that Wes impeded every so slightly the goalkeeper, in this modern awful, low to no contact football. It is becoming a game for wimps. BUT I don't think VAR should have been involved in it as I can't see that was a clear and obvious mistake. If anything, the ref should have to go and look to double check his own decision.

I said at the Randy time that we could and should be one of, if not the, biggest club in the country given the catchment area, history and lack of local competition for support.

Quite why the guys who bought citeh chose them I don't know, other than Brummy peep's legendary tightness - in the eyes of others that is - and the likely buying price difference of course but if everything went right at VP for enough years we could/should be able to fill 75,000 no probs.

We seem to have got out of our going in front then not being able to secure a win run at least so fingers crossed we give a decent account of ourselves against citeh and the dippers and continue to pick up wins up to Xmas.
Citeh got the nod because of their Commonwealth stadium. Rumours l recall were that Villa, Geordies, Everton were also in the running but Doug floated along in his time warp a la John Gregory.

Reflections great to be first on MOTD Targett is still a questionable defender for me but can be great going forward. McGinn had quietest game this season and still figures in most of the good stuff we do Jury out on Wes - really want it to work Heaton a very important and undersung player for us - driving them on at the end and involved in the winner Awesome from jack - even goofy Gareth must have been impressed I love el ghazi but he has approximately 1 game in 4 when he may as well not be on the pitch. Hopefully 3 stormers to follow Guilbert would be our bargain buy of the century if it wasn’t for SJM. How good would he have looked in the championship? Possibly our worst performance of the season but still brilliant to binge watch motd, every highlights package and all the Villa vlogs. All that’s left for me is to troll the Brighton ones when they come out. UTFV

VAR is ruining the watching experience, just can’t see them sticking with it. If fans can’t celebrate a goal until some faceless twat has reviewed it we may as well all stay at home and watch on a dodgy box. At least bad refereeing used to broadly even out over a season. This is kak.

VAR is ruining the watching experience, just can’t see them sticking with it. If fans can’t celebrate a goal until some faceless twat has reviewed it we may as well all stay at home and watch on a dodgy box. At least bad refereeing used to broadly even out over a season. This is kak.
Not a fan of how they are implementing VAR myself, but I do laugh about it ruining football. The simulation, the rolling about, the ridiculous transfer fees and wages ruined football long before VAR.

Not a fan of how they are implementing VAR myself, but I do laugh about it ruining football. The simulation, the rolling about, the ridiculous transfer fees and wages ruined football long before VAR.

This.

I am really having a struggle with modern football, exacerbated by coming back up to the league we HAVE to be in, with the football tourists returning, the way it is all $ and so unbalanced etc. Then you look at how physical the game was, and how wimpy it is now. As you say, the cheating, diving, fannying around etc. It isn't the game I fell in love with. (And obviously my personal issue this summer didn't really enhance my opinion of those twerps who run this greed league!)

But I don't seem to be able to fall out of love with our beautiful Aston Villa !

Last edited:
This.

I am really having a struggle with modern football, exacerbated by coming back up to the league we HAVE to be in, with the football tourists returning, the way it is all $ and so unbalanced etc. Then you look at how physical the game was, and how wimpy it is now. As you say, the cheating, diving, fanny around etc. It isn't the game I fell in love with. (And obviously my personal issue this summer didn't really enhance my opinion of those twerps who run this greed league!)

But I don't seem to be able to fall out of love with our beautiful Aston Villa !
You have to find something to replace the whole range of emotional investment. I think removing it from your life would be akin to retiring from professional sport and wondering what to do next.

Can anyone with a brain tell me how they looked like they had 3 players more all game?

That was painful to watch but we have deserved some luck this season.

So many players sluggish and off the pace yesterday, Jack Grealish was absolutely outstanding.

Cannot believe we did not buy Maupay - madness.

Can anyone with a brain tell me how they looked like they had 3 players more all game?

So many players sluggish and off the pace yesterday, Jack Grealish was absolutely outstanding.

At times they played through us but then they're a very decent Prem side. Possession was even, we had more shots, more on target and more corners. We won the game and had a good goal disallowed. It ain't all gloom.

You have to find something to replace the whole range of emotional investment. I think removing it from your life would be akin to retiring from professional sport and wondering what to do next.

agreed! and I love approaching Villa Park, never grow tired of seeing that place!

BHA play short passing game in triangles from the back which draws the opposition forward and creates gaps between the lines. We fell for it all game, except for short spells when we pressed as a unit. Their off the ball movement is exceptional.

Maupay - did fuck all and was subbed, give your head a wobble.

Didn't think we were that bad, to be honest. BHA gave us problems, but apart from their goal we kept control at the back. Our attacks were much more potent.

Whatever, anybody still wish we were in the Championship? I'm enjoying this season.

[QUOTE="crimsondonkey, post: 2041296, member: 2523"

Maupay - did fuck all and was subbed, give your head a wobble.[/QUOTE]

I thought he did far more than Wesley who also got subbed

No debate needed on the red card. Dissent and a reckless tackle from behind... Their right-back was very very lucky to stay on the pitch after TWO yellow-card-worthy fouls after he'd already been booked. Their manager got the chance to sub him off because the ref was incompetent.
I thought the VAR rules stated that they could only intervene in the case of a "clear and obvious error." Essentially what that twat Atkinson did was over-rule the referee. I haven't seen anything in the application for VAR that says the video ref can over-rule on the on-field ref. Wes jumped for the ball, their goalkeeper jumped a second later and collided with Wes. Never a foul in a million years.

It was mentioned, I think on WM yesterday that a new directive over the international break was for refs to use the pitch side monitor more.....so if that's the case why didnt Mr Atkinson suggest to Mr Coote that he may like to have a look again, if Mr Atkinson felt it was a possible error. To completely over rule, which lets face it, has hardly happened at all this season..they all seem hell bent on protecting one another...suggests Mr Atkinson is indeed the pompous prat that Mark Clattenberg suggested he is, in a recent article. Perhaps he felt like putting young upstart Mr Coote in his place, envious of a younger ref being promoted as he was with Clattenberg..... wouldn't surprise me a bit. We've all seen it, Wesley hardly touched him. In the words of Jim Royle....'Clear and obvious error....? My arse!' And just to add, as I've said before, when we see it's Mike Riley in charge of this shower of incompetents, is it any wonder they appear to be so clueless and inconsistent? He was a terribly weak, fussy...and generally bloody useless referee!

I was a bit worried about Mings for a while in the second half. It may have been a bit of fatigue but it looked like he was carrying a knock for quite a spell. A good week’s rest needed.

A much needed win and a last gasp winner is always nice. Not the best performance though. Too many looking lethargic out there. Wesley, Hourihane, Targett, El Ghazi. Even McGinn looked tired second half, though at least he has a legitimate reason after slogging through the rain in Scotland.

Never in a million years was that a free kick. Ref took ages to award it then dicked around doing everything to ensure he was the centre of attention. Poor decision but criminal defending. How on earth did we let the biggest bloke on the pitch sneak in at the back post all alone.

Once again we're fucked by VAR. The keeper flapped and touched Wesley so that's apparently a foul now. Complete nonsense and the time it took to announce the decision is ridiculous and if it carries on will kill watching football in a stadium. Fans can't fully celebrate s goal because some tosser in a room somewhere is trying reeeeeeally hard to find any reason to chalk it off.

Best player on the pitch was of course Jack Grealish. At times in the second half it felt like he was playing them on his own. As every other Villa player seemed to slow and looked drained he dragged us to those 3 points. Fully deserves the England call up he's surely getting soon.

Again not our best performance by any means but after a fair few games where we've got less than we deserve it feels good to get s win where probably a draw would have been a fairer result. We need to improve Vs man city though else we're in for s thumping.

One last thing. Maupay, very good player but my god he's an absolute ******. First half he tried to knee Heaton in the back of the head, didn't make the contact he wanted though thank god. He tried to make it look accidental but I saw it clearly from my seat and Heaton knew what he'd tried. Someday this coward will seriously injure someone and I'm glad he isn't in a villa shirt.
Andy lochhead,Andy Gray and Peter Withe were often ---------s but delivered more often than not. Wesley or Maupay? The ---------s for me.