The Aston Villa vs Brighton And Hove Albion Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

The Aston Villa vs Brighton And Hove Albion Thread

A much needed win and a last gasp winner is always nice. Not the best performance though. Too many looking lethargic out there. Wesley, Hourihane, Targett, El Ghazi. Even McGinn looked tired second half, though at least he has a legitimate reason after slogging through the rain in Scotland.

Never in a million years was that a free kick. Ref took ages to award it then dicked around doing everything to ensure he was the centre of attention. Poor decision but criminal defending. How on earth did we let the biggest bloke on the pitch sneak in at the back post all alone.

Once again we're fucked by VAR. The keeper flapped and touched Wesley so that's apparently a foul now. Complete nonsense and the time it took to announce the decision is ridiculous and if it carries on will kill watching football in a stadium. Fans can't fully celebrate s goal because some tosser in a room somewhere is trying reeeeeeally hard to find any reason to chalk it off.

Best player on the pitch was of course Jack Grealish. At times in the second half it felt like he was playing them on his own. As every other Villa player seemed to slow and looked drained he dragged us to those 3 points. Fully deserves the England call up he's surely getting soon.

Again not our best performance by any means but after a fair few games where we've got less than we deserve it feels good to get s win where probably a draw would have been a fairer result. We need to improve Vs man city though else we're in for s thumping.

One last thing. Maupay, very good player but my god he's an absolute ******. First half he tried to knee Heaton in the back of the head, didn't make the contact he wanted though thank god. He tried to make it look accidental but I saw it clearly from my seat and Heaton knew what he'd tried. Someday this coward will seriously injure someone and I'm glad he isn't in a villa shirt.

One last thing. Maupay, very good player but my god he's an absolute ******. First half he tried to knee Heaton in the back of the head, didn't make the contact he wanted though thank god. He tried to make it look accidental but I saw it clearly from my seat and Heaton knew what he'd tried. Someday this coward will seriously injure someone and I'm glad he isn't in a villa shirt.

And he refused to shake Jack's hand when he offered it to him after a foul in the first half.

He was ok. Made some decent runs and was a nuisance throughout .
Didnt justify the jizz fest about him signing and the meltdown about him not signing, in my humble

No debate needed on the red card. Dissent and a reckless tackle from behind... Their right-back was very very lucky to stay on the pitch after TWO yellow-card-worthy fouls after he'd already been booked. Their manager got the chance to sub him off because the ref was incompetent.
I thought the VAR rules stated that they could only intervene in the case of a "clear and obvious error." Essentially what that twat Atkinson did was over-rule the referee. I haven't seen anything in the application for VAR that says the video ref can over-rule on the on-field ref. Wes jumped for the ball, their goalkeeper jumped a second later and collided with Wes. Never a foul in a million years.

Seen the highlights back and watched highlights of some other games.

VAR is a joke. Is it supposed to be so anal? Jimenez's goal for Wolves was ruled offside because someone's pube was offside. Again, taking around a minute to chalk the goal off after all the celebrations etc.

Like gmvillan said, "clear and obvious errors". That was supposed to be the point of it.

It needs to be taken out for now and revamped with a clear objective. It's ruining the game as it stands.

This is just how I feel.

Jacks goal wasn#t announced until after they KO again it's a joke.

Nobody in the ground thought that was not a good goal but some clown with a TV screen did.

May as well play the game by computer

VAR is a joke. Is it supposed to be so anal? Jimenez's goal for Wolves was ruled offside because someone's pube was offside. Again, taking around a minute to chalk the goal off after all the celebrations etc.

Like gmvillan said, "clear and obvious errors". That was supposed to be the point of it.

It needs to be taken out for now and revamped with a clear objective. It's ruining the game as it stands.
Worst VAR decision on MOTD was the Watford non penalty. They do not change clear and obvs ref mistakes yet declare no goal if a player is a millimetre offside. And they take 25 minutes to tell the stadium ! As for us....just glad of the points in the circumstances.

What I don't understand is what the VAR people expect Wesley to do in that situation. He jumped before their keeper even got there so do they expect him not to go for aball in the box in case the keeper jumps into him? And that's what happened. The keeper jumps into Wesley and for the crime of existing in the same space as a bloke jumping at you he's penalised.

It just seems like because they've got this new technology they are trying to go out of their way to find reasons to make a foul or offside when there is nothing really there. If ours has stood today would anyone have thought it controversial. Almost certainly not.

Exactly. Listening to 606 earlier the pundits just couldn't seem to get that it's the fans at the games that this is affecting.
Just shows where we are in the pecking order.
The VAR should not be able to overrule the ref on the pitch whether it’s right or wrong. If the ref calls for a review or goes to his screen then fair enough but if he doesn’t then let the game continue. That today was yet another farce.
It worked in the world cup because the refs used the screens. Here they just wait 25 minutes for a faceless wonder miles away to back them up.

It just seems like because they've got this new technology they are trying to go out of their way to find reasons to make a foul or offside when there is nothing really there. If ours has stood today would anyone have thought it controversial. Almost certainly not.

That's it exactly. They're over analyzing everything.

The purpose of it should have been to review those moments where there is a major controversy. There was talk of teams having a certain amount of calls to make during a game, say 3, to have VAR review something. Seems like a great idea in retrospect compared to the farce it's become.

I thought the VAR was useful for the appeal for handball which wasn't.

I thought it was shit when they ruled out a perfectly good goal. Why did they change the offside rule. The benefit of the doubt should still be with the striker.

They should pull it and figure out how to use it before they ruin football.

When we scored at the end, I was waiting for it to be ruled out for some nonsense.

I notice Mr Shearer who was the man telling us how good VAR would be never mentioned the disallowed goal, He did however mention how good Super jack is

That's it exactly. They're over analyzing everything.

The purpose of it should have been to review those moments where there is a major controversy. There was talk of teams having a certain amount of calls to make during a game, say 3, to have VAR review something. Seems like a great idea in retrospect compared to the farce it's become.

Good idea, give it to the captains and the captain has to call it when the ball next goes out of play. Marginal decisions which are subjective may not be punished. I’d go 2x VAR challenges per side per game, however similar to tennis (and may be cricket?) if a VAR decision proves in favour then the challenge is not lost and it stays at 2.

As for offsides, I don’t like this any part of body in front rule, I’d go on the furthest forward leg versus the furthest back leg (defender). Current if you’ve got a big nose it feels like you could be penalised

Jack's second half performance reminded me of Beckham in that WC qualifier against Greece, where he single-handedly dragged us through. Just magnificent and head & shoulders above anyone on the pitch.

VAR is a cancerous growth, killing a beautiful game

Got to mention the crucial save by Heaton when their bloke was through at 1-0.
Poor defending again. I had to miss the game because I have stage 4 man flu so watched the highlights on some Arabic channel and the commentary was superb, allllaaahhh after both villa goals sounded brilliant.

I think Maupay is overrated and just because you are an irritating shite and bad sportsman on the pitch doesn't make you a good player.

From what I have seen of the highlights the ref completely lost the plot making wrong decision after wrong decision and then actually started to bottle decisions as you could visibly see his confidence ebb away.

Just another normal Saturday really with the incompetence of our so-called professorial referees yet again fully on display and I'm getting sick to death with having to criticise them every week.

Collectively too many players had a poor game and that's something Dean Smith and coaching staff need to address and find out why?

Having said all that credit to Brighton who were very well organised.

Last edited: