The All New Takeover Thread | Page 35 | Vital Football

The All New Takeover Thread

Clubs that employ a DoF normally don't have a manager as such, they have a first team coach, who has to be on the same page as the DoF with regards to club philosophy and style, as well as squad personnel to an extent.
Sacking the whole scouting set-up is a very unusual move, even if a DoF was being employed.
A New DoF would only need to notify the existing scouts of the type of player the club needs. Easier than setting up a whole new scouting system with their knowledge of other players noticed while watching specific targets.
As Bruce doesn't do training/coaching it's hard to see him working with a DoF, no matter who it is.
I find it strange that the seven, scouting young talent, are sacked and the next day it's reported that 35 year old injured centreback James Collins is asked to train with the squad.

DoF is a flexible term; can mean anything, and other terms are also used. Steve Round was Director of Football at Villa, didn't interfere with Bruce too much. Did wonder how much Bruce had to do with his sacking though, likewise Ian Atkins.

Round oversaw the backroom stuff from academy up to first team, including scouting, and negotiating transfers.

Don't think an operation the size of Villa can afford not to have a DoF. It was lack of any such post which lead to the shambles under Lerner.

DoF is a flexible term; can mean anything, and other terms are also used. Steve Round was Director of Football at Villa, didn't interfere with Bruce too much. Did wonder how much Bruce had to do with his sacking though, likewise Ian Atkins.

Round oversaw the backroom stuff from academy up to first team, including scouting, and negotiating transfers.

Don't think an operation the size of Villa can afford not to have a DoF. It was lack of any such post which lead to the shambles under Lerner.

Thats what a DoF normally does McP, the so called backroom/background stuff. Setting the club philosophy, so that each step of the way the teams are playing to the same style.
Overseeing the scouting department and doing the negoiating involved in transfers, both in and out.
Most of the stuff that a manager used to do in the old days.
Now 'managers' don't need to do that, they are left to coach the first team, hence the change in title, from manager to head coach.
The DoF and the coaches in charge of each age group have to be on the same page when it comes down to the club playing philosophy and style.
The DoF should want to know everything about any player being considered for purchase, from what he eats for breakfast to what he spends his free-time doing. Nowadays a players private life is as important to a club as his playing ability and his ability to assimilate into a group.

Last edited:
I've seen around social media that we have a new sporting director in place - Jesus Garcia Pitarch, formerly of Valencia and Atletico Madrid among others.

Anyone else heard anything?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jesus-garcia-pitarch/profil/trainer/16407

I've heard of hime JPA, but only about a week ago, but yes I saw that too....

[B]Laurie Whitwell[/B]‏Verified account @[B]lauriewhitwell[/B] 33m33 minutes ago
More
Understand Jesus Garcia Pitarch, formerly of Valencia, has started work at #avfc as sporting director and is involved in process to appoint manager

Just read as far as Henry and that Portuguese bloke turning us down and couldn't be arsed to read the rest. They believe that then the rest isn't worth reading IMHO

I know what you mean, but this bit nailed it :lol:

Bruce, it turns out, perfectly symbolised the Xia project. For the best part of a year, Villa have been directionless, the tactics non-existent as Bruce throws players onto the pitch in a random assortment, his only solution to the ensuing chaos to buy, buy, buy. Villa were apparently always just one player away from clicking into place, and yet by the end, Bruce’s tactics had descended into madness, the chaos self-perpetuating until he was playing at least three right-backs at any given time. All reason had disintegrated, requests for answers falling on deaf ears. It was like the end of a Kafka novel.

We don't know how long it'll take to really get this club back on track, but I'm now happy with where we are. We have owners who are ambitious while having their feet on the ground. The changes in structure, top management, coaching, are all looking towards the future.

Bruce going was really inevitable, as he would never fit into their approach. They acted when they were ready to, having given him the opportunity to impress.

Some are talking as though Dean Smith was the third or fourth choice. I don't think so. I think they gave all four candidates an equal opportunity. I reckon they were confident he'd be a good fit. Especially with JT alongside.

Edens and Sawaris didn't get where they are by adopting a safe-pair-of-hands approach. They look in depth at the person.

We will never know who Villa talked to or didn't. Some could have ruled themselves out to save face as they were never in the running. The press just like to make shit up and yet, we fall for some of it and quote it as evidence to support our own opinions.

West Eden's stated a stable climb to where he wants the club to be. See his other sporting franchise for evidence that this is his MO. Buy youth, make them better, sell on anyone who we can improve upon. We will have to accept that bigger clubs will poach some of our talent, but if we make a healthy profit, it makes us stronger financially.

The youth policy is not a myth, I expect to see many youngsters get opportunities under DS. That is the way to operate as a business and grow. I hope that DS and his team can continue to improve all of our young players. No more McCormack's at the end of their careers please, no more expectations of buying success. I want Villa here for my Grandchildren and beyond - successful on the pitch and financially.

Just read as far as Henry and that Portuguese bloke turning us down and couldn't be arsed to read the rest. They believe that then the rest isn't worth reading IMHO

And not one mention of Wes Edens either when talking about the new owners!.
Along with suggestion that we have tried to get Henry in August (Always denied by Henry) and this time .
Amateur .

We will never know who Villa talked to or didn't. Some could have ruled themselves out to save face as they were never in the running. The press just like to make shit up and yet, we fall for some of it and quote it as evidence to support our own opinions.

West Eden's stated a stable climb to where he wants the club to be. See his other sporting franchise for evidence that this is his MO. Buy youth, make them better, sell on anyone who we can improve upon. We will have to accept that bigger clubs will poach some of our talent, but if we make a healthy profit, it makes us stronger financially.

The youth policy is not a myth, I expect to see many youngsters get opportunities under DS. That is the way to operate as a business and grow. I hope that DS and his team can continue to improve all of our young players. No more McCormack's at the end of their careers please, no more expectations of buying success. I want Villa here for my Grandchildren and beyond - successful on the pitch and financially.

Really do not care who we did or did not allegedly talk to, offer the job to:blah::blah: we got our man, the right man

Had to laugh at what was surely a dig at the Dr from Purslow on the press conference. "we now have intelligent, stable and long term owners".