Thank you your Majesty! | Page 7 | Vital Football

Thank you your Majesty!

What is you always say about hate? ......

I don't hate him. I've actually been in his company at Crewe and he was with his lad and came across well. I think he drags our name down though and when he was a good player some might argue it was a price worth paying. Now his better days are behind him is it a price worth paying now ?

Maybe **** was too strong a word and **** would be better.

I think that pretty much confirms what we expected - he won't be taking part.

We can't and shouldn't force him to - so it's just about managing the situation.

I'm not keen that he posted what he did, i would've hoped the club discussed him not posting relating directly or indirectly to the Queen in anyway on social media over the past week or so, but it doesn't appear so..

I don't think the comment on Instagram confirms anything about whether he will or won't take any part in Latics games tonight or at the weekend - all that quote saying is for people not to speak on his behalf after that journalist had argued that wearing a black armband in memory of the Queen was different to wearing a poppy & why
As for the club speaking to him, the man should be allowed to post what he wants when he wants - if he brings the club in to disrepute then it can be a disciplinary matter just as it would be for most people with their employers.
I'd also argue that he hasn't posted anything directly or indirectly about the Queen. The journalist posed the question after someone else had posted on a thread that James McClean wouldn't wear one & he's replied to that

I don't hate him. I've actually been in his company at Crewe and he was with his lad and came across well. I think he drags our name down though and when he was a good player some might argue it was a price worth paying. Now his better days are behind him is it a price worth paying now ?

Maybe **** was too strong a word and **** would be better.

How does he drag our name down?

How does he drag our name down?

By association. If you remember when Malkie was appointed and in the aftermath of his " joke " some of our own fans were threatening to boycott games until he left. Many around the country find McCleans stance and stuff he posts ( although he claims are jokes ) offensive.

Like I say my view obviously is it will be best for our club when he's finished.

By association. If you remember when Malkie was appointed and in the aftermath of his " joke " some of our own fans were threatening to boycott games until he left. Many around the country find McCleans stance and stuff he posts ( although he claims are jokes ) offensive.

Like I say my view obviously is it will be best for our club when he's finished.
Could be worse ... David Cotterill could still be with us. Poor lad's lost his marbles these days.

Some are missing the point McLean comes with baggage we all know that but the clubs reputation comes first how. Many other players will not put the arm band on tonight or the weekend more than likely first tackle tonight if he plays some one will put him in row z

John, for the last time, you have no idea what the player will do. You're assuming, based on issues not specifically related to the death of the Queen.

He's (more than adequately) explained his position on poppies on numerous occasions (for anyone prepared to listen). He's said that he's more than happy to pay respect to the fallen soldiers in past world wars.

As for tonight, for all we know, he may very well take the same line as Sinn Fein leadership, and be more than happy to pay respects to the late Queen.

His (understandable) reaction on Instagram is squarely directed at those who would presume to know what he'll do ... and he's (it appears to me) sticking two fingers up at those people. No-one else.

Again Zeb, I feel we need to be clear. In a free land, of free speech, it must be acceptable to publicly express a view that an alternative to a monarchy is a valid option. For someone to be prohibited from protesting (peacefully) that the hereditary system is outdated is a midge's away from what happens when stifling free speech in countries which we deem to be ruled by dictators.

As an aside, what the idiot shouted to Prince Andrew on the Royal Mile might have been crass and inappropriate, but I bet the Prince never steps foot in the US again ... and that tells you all you need to know.
Prince Andrew is an utter **** of the first water and I care not what people think of him … but … in procession, with his siblings, behind his Mother’s coffin wasn’t the time and the place…it appears we are at least in accord on this.
And let me be clear …I have no problem with people advancing a Republican agenda or decrying hereditary titles or positions of power … I’m somewhat ambivalent on the subject especially now that the Queen herself has passed …but the immediate afternmath of her passing is not the time and place and the police effectively moving them on in these circumstances (likely preventing them getting assaulted by other members of the public) does not herald the arrival of Pol Pot just yet.

I don't think the comment on Instagram confirms anything about whether he will or won't take any part in Latics games tonight or at the weekend - all that quote saying is for people not to speak on his behalf after that journalist had argued that wearing a black armband in memory of the Queen was different to wearing a poppy & why
As for the club speaking to him, the man should be allowed to post what he wants when he wants - if he brings the club in to disrepute then it can be a disciplinary matter just as it would be for most people with their employers.
I'd also argue that he hasn't posted anything directly or indirectly about the Queen. The journalist posed the question after someone else had posted on a thread that James McClean wouldn't wear one & he's replied to that

I didn't mean sitting out the game altogether i meant taking part in any gesture like wearing an armband.

The question you say he is responding to is clearly a refence to the any commemorative gesture for the Queen and if he doesn't wear an armband, face the right way for anthem, etc. What he has posted could potentially be misinterpreted - especially without full context and we know what the media can be like. As i said the best thing for his own sake if he feels the need to respond to anything is put out a statement with the club.

He has posted stuff on social media over the years that has kicked a hornets nest and generated additional animosity towards himself - so at this time when emotions are high i think it's very prudent for the club to ask him to be very careful on line for his own sake.

Last edited:

I get in general what you mean but he has done & said nothing controversial in either of his periods with Latics to drag the club's name down - quite the opposite in fact IMO

I didn't mean sitting out the game altogether i meant taking part in any gesture like wearing an armband.

The question you say he is responding to is clearly a refence to the any commemorative gesture for the Queen and it will likely be used against him. I don't think what he's posted is the best way to address that. As i said the best thing for his own sake if he feels the need to respond to anything is put on a statement with the club.

He has posted all sorts of stuff on social media over the years that has kicked a hornets nest and generated additional animosity towards himself - so i think advising him to stay off line for a week when emotions are at their highest is prudent for his own interest.

He's responding to a journalist saying he doesn't think wearing a poppy is the same, or signifies the same, as wearing a black armband in commemoration of the Queen passing in response to another poster naming McClean.
All McClean is saying to the journalist is unless you've experienced what he & people in his community have then don't claim to speak for them i.e. it's not for that journalist to say what does or doesn't mean the same to him & people of that community.
Just my opinion but its the other poster & the journalist who have kicked up a hornets nest on this occasion - to the extent that the journalist has apologised & accepted that his question/response was badly worded
For what it's worth I wouldn't expect him to wear a black armband & I would understand if he doesn't. That other people may or may not kick off if he doesn't wear one because they can't accept that some people don't see the royal family, its members & the monarchy in general as benevolent as they do is not a reason not to pick him IMO (that should purely be down to what he is or isn't producing on the pitch) & says far more about the intolerance of those who may kick off about it than it does about James McClean

He's responding to a journalist saying he doesn't think wearing an armband is the same, or signifies the same, as wearing a black armband in commemoration of the Queen passing in response to another poster naming McClean.
All McClean is saying to the journalist is unless you've experienced what he & people in his community have then don't claim to speak for them i.e. it's not for that journalist to say what does or doesn't mean the same to him & people of that community.
Just my opinion but its the other poster & the journalist who have kicked up a hornets nest on this occasion - to the extent that the journalist has apologised & accepted that his question/response was badly worded

I've echoed those exact statements in the thread about how the commemorative gestures mean something completely different to people from Derry like McClean.

But a lot of folks don't know, understand or agree with that including some journalists - so if he is starting tonight and is planning to face away during the anthem, not wear an armband etc i think the club should be working with him to respond to anything rather than him doing it via his own social media.

With a minutes silence and the national anthem being played at EFL fixtures tomorrow, what action would the police take against someone who disrespected the occasion by turning his back? Say, for example, someone like McLean?
For fucks sake here we go again. Can you not just leave it? What are you suggesting? If he disrespects the occasion the police will rush on and arrest him? Is that the England you want? I'd have no issue if he didn't wear a black arm band but I would be surprised if he was seen not to observe the minute's silence or observe your anthem.

I've echoed those exact statements in the thread about how the commemorative gestures mean something completely different to people from Derry like McClean.

But a lot of folks don't know, understand or agree with that including some journalists - so if he is starting tonight and is planning to face away during the anthem, not wear an armband etc i think the club should be working with him to respond to anything rather than him doing it via his own social media.

I would hope that they would as they did the first time he was with us & didn't wear the poppy - I just feel he was responding to being brought up personally by posters on that thread so I don't think it was stepping out of line
Personally I'd prefer him to stay in the tunnel if he's planning on turning away during the anthem but if he wants to make a public protest then it's his choice I guess

Personally I would just give him a rest, whatever the opinion on his stance were removing it from being made into a bigger deal than it needs be. let the game be about the game no sub issues. Its a long season save his legs also.

Lets have a look at Thelo (please), Scully, Fletcher, Broadhead or whoever plenty of options

Let's all just wait n see if....
1. He's in the squad
2. If He's in squad see if he in starting 11 or on bench.
3. If in starting 11 just wait to see what he does / doesn't do...
Then it can be debated 'till the cows come home' or as it's more commonly know as 'till Moonay comes home' (😉🍻)