Team v Fleetwood | Page 4 | Vital Football

Team v Fleetwood

I don’t like these early kickoffs every week! Feels odd that as our games finishes the others in our league are all just starting.
Must be awkward for the players too in terms of when to eat before the game - maybe they have a brunch at 10/11am?
Ultimately Fleetwood were better in both boxes. Our defence is still suspect and liable to concede, whereas when we get chances in their box we lack the conviction to stick them away.

Samuel could easily have been sent off after just 12 minutes with a stupid kick out at a Fleetwood player, luckily he just got a talking to.

Samuel could also have been booked for diving when he claimed a pen, I've seen it a couple of times and definitely didn't think it was one.

Fleetwood had an appeal for a penalty which wasn't given, it looked more of a pen than the Samuel incident.

We picked up a few extra bookings and you could argue that Fleetwood could have recieved a few more yellows aswell which weren't given but take into account what I mentioned above it comes across a bit pathetic to blame the ref on being hard done by and Evans did himself no favours at the end, a few of the Fleetwood players and management team were laughing at him spouting off.

I would hope privately that SE is more angry at the performance of our players than the ref today.

I’m not being funny, but did you watch the game or are just regurgitating Peter Lloyd? I haven’t heard Evans’ interview and, whilst I can’t agree that the ref was to blame for our defeat, if that’s what he was saying, I can fully see why he has a grievance. I can’t believe that you genuinely feel the Fleetwood penalty claim, which was a complete dive nowhere near contact from the defender, yet feel Samuel should have been booked for far less of a dive, where there was actually contact. Add to that two soft/inconsistent decisions to book Ogilvie, I can see why Evans thinks we were hard done by, but it was the first half wasteful finishing not the referee that cost us the game, albeit he was unhelpful.

Samuel has been poor but is getting poor service. There was one occasion today when Eccles played a ball for Akinde to spin on to but he just stood there. That's the sort of ball Samuel needs but all we seem to want to do is hit the big man

From our point of view, a good 30 minute spell in the first half where we dominated and created a number of good chances and should have taken two or three of them and won the game. Disappointing that we didn't - ultimately that's what cost us the game. Fleetwood did sweet FA in the first half and were there for the taking - to be fair, they did little more in the second half and from their point of view, it was daylight robbery (not because we played well, but because they were terrible). A first goal that came from a very generous bounce from the crossbar - the like we didn't get all game from the post, bar or their awful keepers numerous spills. A second goal which came on the break as we were chasing the game and wrongly down to 10 men. Not good enough at all, but we didn't have any luck and Fleetwood did.

I can see why Evans wasn't happy with the officiating - I haven't seen the stats, but Fleewtood seemed to commit repreated and continual fouls to break up the play, but didn't seem to get any bookings until towards the end, when the ref was on our case from the start, awarding us several soft yellow cards, including Ogilvie's first one, which was a complete carbon copy of an identical challenge on Samuel about a minute before which the referee ignored. The only contact for Ogilvie's second booking was their player clipping his own heel. Their was a clear trip on Samuel, on the edge of the box, which may well have been just outside of the box, but was clearly a trip, but not given.

All in, every aspect was frustrating - a poor performance by us and very wasteful, a lucky poor opponent and a poor referee. Not a lot of positives to find, I'm afraid,
Thoroughly deserved sending off. Ogilvie a shadow of what he was last season.

Samuel works hard on his diving and nothing else it seems. He could have been sent off after 12 mins. I think such sendings off for very mild retaliation are ridiculous btw, but they do often happen.

We need a midfield. Non stop hoof.

Stonewall pen for Fleetwood not given. Didn't think Samuel was fouled. If it was a pen then then theirs was more clear cut.

No complaints about the ref from me.

Were you a Millwall fan in a previous life Steve? :-)

I thought it was a better performance than MK and Pompey. the keeper made a good save to deny Samuel and Akinde hit the post. Had either or both of those gone in then we might be talking a different game.

We also hit the cross bar in the second half so again fine margins. They hit the cross bar as well but it fell kindly for Madden, ours didn't.

I can't recall Ogilves first yellow but the second one was a yellow. We will miss him.
Yes. Mercifully it was better than those two woeful performances. At least we looked like we might score for a few minutes.

Don’t think Ogilvie can complain about being sent off - the 2nd was a stupid foul when he’d already been booked, but I guess he’d say if he let the player past him they’d have gone on to score.
Then the second goal came down that side where he’d have been if he hadn’t been sent off!

As stated previously I take more positives from today than the last two performances, we had the opportunity to kill the game in the first half.
I liked the look of the Midfield today and maybe if Oliver was playing maybe just maybe it would have been different, but when you dominate for 30 minutes you have to score

No goals scored in 290 minutes played now. The last in the 70th minute v Oxford.
I still think we could do with a nippy pacy striker who can run in behind defences and offer something different to the ones we have.

Evans is furious with the football league for allowing the game to go ahead, after Fleetwood’s game with Accrington where subsequently several Accrington players tested positive.
Scally apparently phoned the EFL first thing this morning and they said that the game should go ahead, even though Fleetwood’s players haven’t been tested for Covid since the Accrington game.
Fleetwood’s players got changed in the old club shop before the game and Evans insisted the dugouts were far apart.

Bonhams only real activity was picking the ball out of the net after Fleetwood's 2 on target shots. What might have been if just one of our first half chances had actually been converted. Akinde desperately needs a goal but I think he needs Oliver to be dealing with the many hopeful upfield punts.

Evans is furious with the football league for allowing the game to go ahead, after Fleetwood’s game with Accrington where subsequently several Accrington players tested positive.
Scally apparently phoned the EFL first thing this morning and they said that the game should go ahead, even though Fleetwood’s players haven’t been tested for Covid since the Accrington game.
Fleetwood’s players got changed in the old club shop before the game and Evans insisted the dugouts were far apart.
Totally agree with Steve on this one .I have started a thread on that subject such was the feeling from Steve Evans that this was more important than the result. This is about people's lives and health. 100% behind Evans on this one if the FA take issue with the comments I would be happy to join a campaign in support of Steve Evans comments.

Last edited:

Yet some of our players were shaking hands with Cods after the final whistle ! Would have thought SE would have banned that completely. :slap:

Yet some of our players were shaking hands with Cods after the final whistle ! Would have thought SE would have banned that completely. :slap:
Given that the majority of the 22 on the pitch had played a game I doubt the handshake at the end was any more risky than playing the game

Totally agree with Steve on this one .I have started a thread on that subject such was the feeling from Steve Evans that this was more important than the result. This is about people's lives and health. 100% behind Evans on this one if the FA take issue with the comments I would be happy to join a campaign in support.
Yes I agree also. There is no clear and consistent protocol on what to do, and no one is offering to pay for the tests that are needed. It’s strange that Fleetwood were not told to have the tests done before they travelled south.

Samuel could also have been booked for diving when he claimed a pen, I've seen it a couple of times and definitely didn't think it was one.

Fleetwood had an appeal for a penalty which wasn't given, it looked more of a pen than the Samuel incident.

That was pretty much how I saw both the incidents as well. Not sure the Fleetwood one was a penalty either, but as you say, it looked more of one than our claim.

I do think we were unlucky today: We had 5 shots on target, hit the post, the underside of crossbar and their keeper made a brilliant point blank save, scored no goals.

They only had 2 shots on target the whole game, scored 2 goals. We could have been out of sight with a 3 or 4 goal lead before they scored, then it would have been interesting to read the comments on here. I give credit for a better performance today compared with the Pompey and MK games, bearing in mind our injury hit small squad.

Treacle -

Yes I watched the whole match and Peter Lloyd comparison? I posted on here after the Blackpool game that our commentators didn't give us enough credit so just call it how I see it...

Treacle you're so biased in your vendetta against Gills refs it's laughable...actually predicted you would post we were hard done by from the ref. 😴

I call it how I see it also. Of course, I'm biased as a Gills' fan, but don't think my comments are laughable. As I say, the reason we lost today was not sticking away our chances in the first half and I don't agree if Evans was solely blaming the ref, but I do understand why he has a grievance with some very inconsistent decisions.

Samuel works hard on his diving and nothing else it seems. He could have been sent off after 12 mins. I think such sendings off for very mild retaliation are ridiculous btw, but they do often happen.

We need a midfield. Non stop hoof.

Stonewall pen for Fleetwood not given. Didn't think Samuel was fouled. If it was a pen then then theirs was more clear cut.

No complaints about the ref from me.

Were you a Millwall fan in a previous life Steve? :-)

No, I'm not a Millwall fan. Are you as you usually agree with my Gills' comments?

"Stonewall penalty for Fleetwood"? Suggest you look at that again, as the guy who dived was nowhere near our defender. I have absolutely no doubt that Samuel likes a dive, but on the pen call, he was clearly tripped for me, but also outside of the box, and I don't disagree that he made a lot of it. Regardless, there was a lot more contact than the Fleetwood claimed pen - there is no way in a million years that I'm going to watch a replay or extended highlights of that match, but happy to hear views from anyone that does!

I also think this is rubbish, by the way. I'd say Ogilvie's first foul probably justified a booking - problem was there was a foul on Samuel about a minute before, which was almost identical that didn't even warrant a foul, let alone a booking. From what I saw, the second booking just comprised the guy clipping his own heels and falling over - no contact from the ginger one at all.