Tayo to Blackburn? | Page 16 | Vital Football

Tayo to Blackburn?

Success is now not measured by on-field results. It is now measured by how much we improve other clubs' players, and by how fast we can flip our own.

I see what you are saying, but I think it is part of the deal for good quality young players coming to the relative footy outpost of Lincoln. We are for some of them approved work experience, for others a step on the career path - rather that I think than a last payday for someone put out to pasture (Latchford) or another journeyman without real motivation (Battersby).

I see what you are saying, but I think it is part of the deal for good quality young players coming to the relative footy outpost of Lincoln. We are for some of them approved work experience, for others a step on the career path - rather that I think than a last payday for someone put out to pasture (Latchford) or another journeyman without real motivation (Battersby).

Yeah I get that. Perhaps I should widen my criticism to the industry as a whole. Lower league football has essentially become nursery football by stealth thanks to the changes in academy rules and the imbalance caused by Premier League money. Borrowing players from clubs run by dictators and oligarchs is now something to aspire to, and flipping our own as quickly as possible is seen as success.

Lincoln should perhaps be commended for their role as pioneers navigating new waters - but it is not football as I know it, nor how I want it to be.

Yeah I get that. Perhaps I should widen my criticism to the industry as a whole. Lower league football has essentially become nursery football by stealth thanks to the changes in academy rules and the imbalance caused by Premier League money. Borrowing players from clubs run by dictators and oligarchs is now something to aspire to, and flipping our own as quickly as possible is seen as success.

Lincoln should perhaps be commended for their role as pioneers navigating new waters - but it is not football as I know it, nor how I want it to be.

Absolutely this but unfortunately that's the reality the bloated money world and imbalance the Premier League has created. There was always a gap between the big clubs and the little clubs and it was always difficult to cross that gap but now it's chasm and virtually impossible to cross.

Success is now not measured by on-field results. It is now measured by how much we improve other clubs' players, and by how fast we can flip our own.

In league 1 we cannot afford to compete for players who will provide on-field success as soon as they come into the team, any attempt to do that risks the entire future of the club. We can probably afford a spine of a squad that can compete immediately at this level (3 or 4 players?) After those players are signed the only way we can have any on-field success and remain remotely viable is to develop players who have the raw attributes to be able to play at this level and then coach them to be able to perform consistently at this level.

Once we have developed them and showcased their talent playing for us it is absolutely inevitable that the reality of football takes over and those players are either sold or (the worst case scenario) see out their contracts and leave for nothing to get a much better pay day somewhere else.

We were the only "small" team in the division last year to make the play-offs and that in a year with even some remote level of salary cap, this year onwards the job to compete just gets financially more and more difficult. The mere fact we are in League 1 for the 3rd season in a row and expectations are to make the play-offs is a minor miracle in itself and (in my opinion) should be judged as a massive piece of success for our "on-field results". We're a tiny fish swimming in a massive ocean and we need to get used to it...

This is utter madness. If this is what you expect - even want - then you support a staging post, not a football team.

The more we progress (and primarily that means financial progress in the modern football world), the more we will be able to retain better players for longer.
We're not a club at the top of the football food chain, and never will be, but we are at least no longer in the pig's trough but actually doing pretty well and could well have seen both record sales and record purchases by the time we've finished burning the midnight oil at both ends.

The aim of Clive & Co has to be for the club ultimately to be self financing while still being successful. And that has to be 100% right for the long term future of the club.

We are limited on ground capacity and cannot rely on cup runs to generate additional revenue. So the only way the books can be balanced over a period of years is to sell players for more than what has been paid out in transfer fees, agent payment etc.

The club will have an internal valuation on all of our players. If a club comes in with an offer to match that valuation, he will go - and a replacement will be brought in at a lower cost.

We have to get used to that, even if it means favourite players moving on.

I’m wondering when you thought it was different to this?

I’m wondering when you thought it was different to this?

Obviously, 1992 was the turning point although the disparities really started to kick in when the Russians, Emiratis and Americans started to rock up. It's accelerated since then and the pace of change has increased with every season. I think I'm right with this illustration - when Grant went our joint-longest serving player was here on loan. I can't imagine that was ever the case before.

Last edited:
Announced as a done deal on Sky Sports so it must have gone through. Whilst very disappointed to see him go, which him every success at a higher level. Hopefully it will be a good deal for both parties long term. Enjoyed watching Tayo play, and for me was one of our best signings under Mapp. Looks like the Dundee Utd lad is incoming so at least we will be getting a genuine left back on board.

The aim of Clive & Co has to be for the club ultimately to be self financing while still being successful. And that has to be 100% right for the long term future of the club.

We are limited on ground capacity and cannot rely on cup runs to generate additional revenue. So the only way the books can be balanced over a period of years is to sell players for more than what has been paid out in transfer fees, agent payment etc.

The club will have an internal valuation on all of our players. If a club comes in with an offer to match that valuation, he will go - and a replacement will be brought in at a lower cost.

We have to get used to that, even if it means favourite players moving on.
But we aren’t really limited on ground capacity are we. In League One we may sell out only a couple of times this season when away teams sell out the full allocation and some will buy seats in the home stands. Not often City fans will buy all the home tickets available. We are limited due to the size of our fan base compared to some others in LG 1.