Tactical Master class | Page 3 | Vital Football

Tactical Master class

Not sure on that, our goal was hardly under siege was it?
Not at all. As already said, they shifted the ball about beautifully, but it was always in front of us. The only time they really got in behind us they scored. Vickers wasn't ever really tested any more than their keeper. Not saying we looked like getting deckchairs out, but our goal didn't get peppered by any stretch of the imagination.

Not sure on that, our goal was hardly under siege was it?
No - but fgr were moving it around, got in behind the full backs a few times, a few loose balls in the box blocked and hacked away. Reminded me of Coventry last season. Different result this time which either reflects the improvement in quality which means we can chip out a result when it's not going well - and it wasn't, too many misplaced passes and sloppy play - or luck.

Someone has said it was like Tranmere in reverse, where apart from the two early blocks on the line, we created few direct goal scoring chances but always looked capable of doing so , and were a class above the opposition. That was a frustrating game to lose for us, fgr will be feeling the same tonight.

i agree with Oldguard. I was one of those at halftime saying it will be a mistake to go toe to toe with FGR and try and out play them in the 2nd half. Be patient, defend well and take our chance when we get one.

I thought it was a well directed "smash and grab" based upon a resolute defensive display which by and large kept them out of our box and restricted them to a few long range shots, certainly in the second half.

Delighted for Akinde to get a goal and for Gordon to take his golden opportunity. That said, much of our ball retention was poor and we made it harder than it needed to be in the midfield. Simple obvious passes were avoided, in preference to hopeful punts which often saw FGR immediately back in possesssion.

A precious and much needed 3 points for City in what could prove to be a pivitol game. "The Imps are going up!".....

Yet again, another League Two side trying to play a passing game but completely out of ideas when they reached the edge of the box. Lovely little triangles straight off the training ground, possession-based claptrap. Get to within twenty yards of the goal and they didn't have a scooby what to do next. As a number of posters have already stated, they realised that themselves before half time and resorted to long range shooting. I have no idea how many teams like that I have seen in my 48 seasons at SB, but I wish I had a pound for each one.

It reminds me of a manager I had when I was originally posted to Glasgow. He asked me how things were going, and I said something along the lines of, 'I'm knackered, working really hard'.

His reply was, 'Aye laddie, but are ye effective?'

FGR in a nutshell.

OG is right - Danny got that spot on.

There is a reason why FGR have only won 6 out of 17 games.
There is a reason they have only lost 2 out of 17 games.

They set up to dominate the midfield. This makes it difficult to create loads of chances against them. However, sides know it’s coming and defend accordingly, so it’s not easy for them to create lots of clear chances.

Why do you think we had an extra midfielder today?

We did n’t look after the possession we had, as well as we would have liked, but make no mistake, we were well prepared and the counter attack goals would have been part of that plan.

Master class or not, we had a plan, knew what we were doing....

and won.

I’m beginning to think our management may know a thing or two.
Perhaps they know better than SOME of our the supporters.

Last edited:
Something from nothing afternoon but that's a decent sign
FGR looked good and will end up top 7 I'd bet
If they strengthen in a couple of areas they'll take some stopping
Great 3 points in the bag and big John is starting to show his mojo
The early season attacking performances have left us needing the bossie blood and guts performances
If someone asked me what us our style is this season I wouldn't have a clue
Uti

So you failed to see how we shaped our formation during the first and second half ? The fact they move the ball about well was why we set up in a defensive formation and waited until the latter stages of the game to make changes. The Cowleys are geniuses .We won this match in an ugly fashion because that is what we have at our disposal ,We cannot compete with the spending power of FGR .This match was won during the week on the training field .

Hold on a minute, you reckon we have an inferior team to VGR?

In a way you could argue their tactics are really spot on. They’re not going to finish above us or MK but they’d be deluded to think they would. Now that Doidge has finally gone, they’re left with an isolated striker and a weak defensive spine. They have to keep the ball because then they can’t concede. They do it really well so it takes a very good team and some luck to beat them. It’s a clever way of ensuring safety in the division. They’ll be fine despite obvious flaws in their squad.

Only 2 things I disagree with being said here are:

1) We have a weaker squad. We have the strongest in the league hence why we’re top even after a bad week last week.

2) FGR have more spending power. Now with the Doidge money ok yes probably. But that didn’t come in until deadline day. Until then bigger crowds and cup runs were worth (likely) more than Vince invested this summer.

Other than that it does seem like the Cowley’s built a team to counter their passing. Remember the one team who could always beat Arsenal? Pulis’s Stoke.

All week teams prepare for 90 minutes on a Saturday .The Cowleys are meticulous when it comes to the fine margins of how to a win a game of football .That is why they are so successful operating with limited resources .Today was a classic example of how to set up against a team that is capable of defeating you if you are not savvy enough to prevent them from doing so . What don't you get about that BB?

I agree with a lot of the above but limited resources? I'd look at the likes of Morecambe & Macclesfield for teams that operate on limited resources, they've been given a very competitive wage budget based upon the fruits of there success and have spent it well, this is a different set-up to the one they took over a few seasons ago and worked miracles. We are hardly this seasons Accrington Stanley.
As for yesterday FGR were an excellent footballing side that ran rings round us at times, we kept battling to stay in it, I have little sympathy for the smug knob of a manager though when we grabbed the winner. Has to be said, no matter what the score was they never stopped putting the ball on the floor and playing football whilst we never really got going. But after the last 3 games a result like that is bloody brilliant, well done to all at the club and everyone for getting behind them.

I agree with a lot of the above but limited resources? I'd look at the likes of Morecambe & Macclesfield for teams that operate on limited resources, they've been given a very competitive wage budget based upon the fruits of there success and have spent it well, this is a different set-up to the one they took over a few seasons ago and worked miracles. We are hardly this seasons Accrington Stanley.
As for yesterday FGR were an excellent footballing side that ran rings round us at times, we kept battling to stay in it, I have little sympathy for the smug knob of a manager though when we grabbed the winner. Has to be said, no matter what the score was they never stopped putting the ball on the floor and playing football whilst we never really got going. But after the last 3 games a result like that is bloody brilliant, well done to all at the club and everyone for getting behind them.

They ran rings around us until the final third, but muffled their lines thereafter, apart from the goal.

It's all about the result, at the end of the day.

Had one of the mishandled shots by Vickers rebounded the wrong way there'd have been a different result. All the tactics in the world won't prevent errors.

You think that is luck?

If you remember back to when Mike Pollitt played in goal for the Imps, who was a shop stopper par exellance, but some how the rebounds more often or not ended up at the feet of an opposition player. That rarely happens with Vickers, which means he is being coached well. Its obviously something Pollitt addressed later in his career.

Yet again, another League Two side trying to play a passing game but completely out of ideas when they reached the edge of the box. Lovely little triangles straight off the training ground, possession-based claptrap. Get to within twenty yards of the goal and they didn't have a scooby what to do next. As a number of posters have already stated, they realised that themselves before half time and resorted to long range shooting. I have no idea how many teams like that I have seen in my 48 seasons at SB, but I wish I had a pound for each one. Danny got that spot on.

FGR are similiar to Dario Gradi's Crewe of the '80s and early '90s, easy on the eye but they struggled to to get out of the basement division playing that style of of football always falling short. I predict a similair fate for FGR this season.

You think that is luck?

If you remember back to when Mike Pollitt played in goal for the Imps, who was a shop stopper par exellance, but some how the rebounds more often or not ended up at the feet of an opposition player. That rarely happens with Vickers, which means he is being coached well. Its obviously something Pollitt addressed later in his career.

Remember last Saturday at Colchester, TEB?

Vickers is a good goalkeeper. We have an excellent squad of players.

We were limited yesterday ,.The team was patched up and put out to do a job .I really don't think we were battling to stay in the game at all

They ran rings around us until the final third, but muffled their lines thereafter, apart from the goal.

It's all about the result, at the end of the day.
They got in behind us in the same way several times. We rode our luck at times yesterday, but we got the points for the result, they don't get any for being the better footballing side on the day, same as us at Tranmere.