Tactical Master class | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tactical Master class

I struggle to see how FGR won the tactical battle when they lost 2-1. They did, however, win the pretty football battle, but that doesn't produce the results needed for promotion.

The so-called tactical battle, and the result of the game don't necessarily bear any relation to one another in football, we all know that. But being on top gives you a better chance.

Forest Green lost because they made two defensive howlers and we have players good enough to exploit that. Fortunately we took advantage. Had one of the mishandled shots by Vickers rebounded the wrong way there'd have been a different result. All the tactics in the world won't prevent errors.

And there didn't look any time in the second half when we seemed like we were actually trying to win the game. They did. That it went the other way is due to a lot of resolve and having the ability when the moment arrives to take advantage. Fortunately McCartan and Gordon did that.

It wasn't tactics, though, unless the aim was to play for a draw.

The 'shape' seemed to involve some desperate defending and yielding space in midfield. When we had possession fgr pressed us high, resorting to hoof. That created opportunities as big John did his stuff and the wingers worked some space.

Knowing a few players were patched up and pushed out puts a different perspective in it but too much that happened was down to luck to be a masterclass.

For what it's worth, I don't think either team won the 'tactical battle' per se, but we did what we needed to do and found a way to win, influenced by the managements decision making throughout the game and plenty of resolute defending. UTI.

Last edited:
The so-called tactical battle, and the result of the game don't necessarily bear any relation to one another in football, we all know that. But being on top gives you a better chance.

Forest Green lost because they made two defensive howlers and we have players good enough to exploit that. Fortunately we took advantage. Had one of the mishandled shots by Vickers rebounded the wrong way there'd have been a different result. All the tactics in the world won't prevent errors.

And there didn't look any time in the second half when we seemed like we were actually trying to win the game. They did. That it went the other way is due to a lot of resolve and having the ability when the moment arrives to take advantage. Fortunately McCartan and Gordon did that.

It wasn't tactics, though, unless the aim was to play for a draw.

All week teams prepare for 90 minutes on a Saturday .The Cowleys are meticulous when it comes to the fine margins of how to a win a game of football .That is why they are so successful operating with limited resources .Today was a classic example of how to set up against a team that is capable of defeating you if you are not savvy enough to prevent them from doing so . What don't you get about that BB?

Technically FGR were the best side I’ve seen at this level in ages, but agree with Oldgaurd re: tactics as I was surprised to see us go 4-3-3 thus dropping McCartan.

Akinde’s best home performance, he seemed a yard quicker today and thoroughly deserved his ovation. Bozzy MotM in what was a collosus of a performance and needed to be too.

Absolutely spot on OG. If FGR want to pass sideways and that is classed as great football then fair enough, I love winning football matches.

All their possession did they threaten Vickers? For me that is keeping possession for possession sake.

Tactical masterclass? Probably not. Outplayed by Forest Green and a lucky win? Probably not. Great defensive Imps performance throughout, other than Vickers couple of fumbles. FGR did keep possession excellently and bossed the midfield. But they were playing six in there against our three. This inevitably left them short up top and lacking in penetration near the box. And led them to being short at the back for both our goals. Both good breaks, well executed. We played well in the moments that counted. FGR played well for most of the moments that didn't count. UTI

Where did I write that? How many good chances did they create? Honestly I never at any point thought they were going to score in the 2nd half.
Have you seen the games v FGR over the last 3 years, this one followed the similar pattern to the others and we have won them all. Is that lucky?

Creating chances is how you win, usually, joholbe, otherwise you have to get lucky. I'm seeing a few people saying they didn't threaten Vickers (who did actually have to make saves), and there were some last ditch blocks as well - one pretty much hit Toffolo when it looked goalbound.

I do know they created more chances than we did. Did you honestly believe, when they game was 1-1 that we looked like we were going to win it?

All week teams prepare for 90 minutes on a Saturday .The Cowleys are meticulous when it comes to the fine margins of how to a win a game of football .That is why they are so successful operating with limited resources .Today was a classic example of how to set up against a team that is capable of defeating you if you are not savvy enough to prevent them from doing so . What don't you get about that BB?

What happens during a game is a different question really. For example our subs eventually scored the winner, whereas FGR's subs actually seemed to disrupt their rhythm (that's something that happened to us at Tranmere).

I don't believe the idea before the game was to be so defensive and lacking in forward options. If Danny Cowley says differently then I'll believe it, but I doubt he would be thrilled on how much FGR controlled the game and almost got in numerous times.

And I take issue with your initial comment that FGR are superior to us. I don't believe any side in the division this season is, overall, better than City and playing at home as if the opposition is more dangerous than we are is not a way I'd want to see the season progressing.

I outlined in a previous post somewhere why I think that, tactically, it is not working at the moment and although I don't claim to have much tactical knowledge I'd prefer it if someone would properly debunk that.

I do know they created more chances than we did. Did you honestly believe, when they game was 1-1 that we looked like we were going to win it?[/QUOTE]

FGR had one way to play and as the game progressed that way became more ineffectual. The only team capable of change was us .Why? because we radically changed the approach we adopt at home in order to prohibit FGR .We made changes during the second half and won the game ,There is no luck in that it is practised and drilled all week .Why am I explaining basic football principles ? What don't you get?