Tactical Master class | Vital Football

Tactical Master class

oldgaurd

Vital 1st Team Regular
That my fellow Imps is how to beat superior opposition. Akinde was awesome in the first half playing on his own up top .We set up very defensively due to the threat that FGR pose . If we had gone toe to toe and set out expansively we would have been chasing the game at half time. Well done to Harry Anderson giving an extra 10 minutes for the team because we needed to be in the final two phases of the second half to make the changes that we would have been practised all week. Brilliant tactics , absolutely brilliant .

Think we sailed close to the edge at times, but agreed. Big John showed what I hoped he would be today, superb.
Bit confused by the recent upset about watering the pitch. Half our side struggled to keep their feet at times today!

Unsurprisingly I have no idea what you are going on about BB me old Mucker

Did you really think it was a tactical masterclass because I didn't?

FGR won the tactical battle as they were on top throughout and we had to rely on last ditch blocks, our goalkeeper and the frame of the goal.

I don't accept that FGR are a superior side either. However, for all that Cooper is disliked for his attitude (as fans of other clubs dislike our own manager) he has coached them into a good passing side who can press as well. On one occasion in the first half they left two up at our corner. The keeper collected the ball and rolled it straight out to a midfield runner and they were immediately 3 on 3 on us from our own set piece.

We won the game, not because of our tactics, which did not work, but because we have good players, and they kept the opposition out while poaching two goals themselves from the only two chances we created. And you can't always rely on the woodwork to save you, that's not tactical genius.

We created next to nothing last week and little more this week, so there's something wrong. Personally, I think that in the last month teams have found a way to play against us. Playing two wingers worked well earlier in the season but it has surrendered an ocean of space in midfield which sides have started to exploit. Not only a physical side like Colchester, but a more sophisticated side like Forest Green have both cut off our supply of chances and it's probably time for a re-think.

We have a good enough side to dominate teams, especially at home and I think the full backs should be used to provide the attacking width so that we can get more bodies into midfield and push teams back more.

FGR won the tactical battle as they were on top throughout and we had to rely on last ditch blocks, our goalkeeper and the frame of the goal.

I don't accept that FGR are a superior side either. However, for all that Cooper is disliked for his attitude (as fans of other clubs dislike our own manager) he has coached them into a good passing side who can press as well. On one occasion in the first half they left two up at our corner. The keeper collected the ball and rolled it straight out to a midfield runner and they were immediately 3 on 3 on us from our own set piece.

We won the game, not because of our tactics, which did not work, but because we have good players, and they kept the opposition out while poaching two goals themselves from the only two chances we created. And you can't always rely on the woodwork to save you, that's not tactical genius.

We created next to nothing last week and little more this week, so there's something wrong. Personally, I think that in the last month teams have found a way to play against us. Playing two wingers worked well earlier in the season but it has surrendered an ocean of space in midfield which sides have started to exploit. Not only a physical side like Colchester, but a more sophisticated side like Forest Green have both cut off our supply of chances and it's probably time for a re-think.

We have a good enough side to dominate teams, especially at home and I think the full backs should be used to provide the attacking width so that we can get more bodies into midfield and push teams back more.

I guess it is the irony of football but I think we must have been at two different games.

FGR play pretty tippy tappy diamonds football but didn't, in the 2nd half, create a single clear chance from open play. We were superb in defending 2nd half and had at least 3 chances on the break to score.

That FGR are a good team is clear but thought their centre half pairing were really poor and not up for a battle against Akinde (who I thought was exceptional all day)

I dont think you know very much about football BB .Total waffle

That my fellow Imps is how to beat superior opposition. Akinde was awesome in the first half playing on his own up top .We set up very defensively due to the threat that FGR pose . If we had gone toe to toe and set out expansively we would have been chasing the game at half time. Well done to Harry Anderson giving an extra 10 minutes for the team because we needed to be in the final two phases of the second half to make the changes that we would have been practised all week. Brilliant tactics , absolutely brilliant .
We were thinking the same. FGR rarely got in behind us and needed to take pot luck with long range shooting. They move the ball well and there movement is good but when they needed to penetrate us we kept our shape and discipline. When they had dropped a gear we pushed the extra forward on and we scored.

We were thinking the same. FGR rarely got in behind us and needed to take pot luck with long range shooting. They move the ball well and there movement is good but when they needed to penetrate us we kept our shape and discipline. When they had dropped a gear we pushed the extra forward on and we scored.

Exactly

I understand the point. If the goal was a foot higher and a foot wider they would have won. No doubt. But it isn’t and tactically we defended the area we needed to defend.

I struggle to see how FGR won the tactical battle when they lost 2-1. They did, however, win the pretty football battle, but that doesn't produce the results needed for promotion.

I'm with BB on this, most of second half was expecting fgr to score, they moved the ball well, got behind us a few times. We defended well but desperately, restricted their chances in the box, their long range shooting was good but not quite good enough.

We were well off our best, some dangerous pratting about at times, but we got the breaks and won while posing very little threat overall. Mark of a good side, getting something out of a substandard performance, but that's what it was, no masterclass for me.

not a masterclass, but we won the battle. colchester and frst green are clearly two of the better teams in the league. still expect us to create chances and dominate the games against the teams lower down [there are plenty of them]. pleased to see the guts and determination in the second half, which is essential at our level.

forest green were very good in the middle third, but missed doidge. plus they had a suspect keeper and weak defence. a flawed 4th division version of barcelona.

quality cool-headed decision making by mccartan for the winner. we need more of that passing accuracy around the box. great three points which will slow down the doom n gloom around being top of the league ))) uti.

I'm with BB on this, most of second half was expecting fgr to score, they moved the ball well, got behind us a few times. We defended well but desperately, restricted their chances in the box, their long range shooting was good but not quite good enough.

We were well off our best, some dangerous pratting about at times, but we got the breaks and won while posing very little threat overall. Mark of a good side, getting something out of a substandard performance, but that's what it was, no masterclass for me.

So you failed to see how we shaped our formation during the first and second half ? The fact they move the ball about well was why we set up in a defensive formation and waited until the latter stages of the game to make changes. The Cowleys are geniuses .We won this match in an ugly fashion because that is what we have at our disposal ,We cannot compete with the spending power of FGR .This match was won during the week on the training field .

At half time in the match thread I commented on how people see the same thing in completely polar opposites and this thread compounds that view. Makes this forum such a good read

Playing two wingers worked well earlier in the season but it has surrendered an ocean of space in midfield which sides have started to exploit. Not only a physical side like Colchester, but a more sophisticated side like Forest Green have both cut off our supply of chances and it's probably time for a re-think.
Especially when two of your midfielders are 70% fit.

In fairness we have done this to many sides under the Cowleys. Yes you have to ride your luck but it's no coincidence that when we get dominated by passing sides we actually go on to win the match Bravo the Cowleys

Chances win matches and we took two.
They dominated from them levelling to us going back in front.
Having heard how many walking wounded we had makes the win all the sweeter.

Spot on OG that was a Cowley masterclass. Possession means nothing, unless you create chances it doesn't really count. That game followed the pattern of most of our games against FGR, we let them play fancy dan football until they get 20 yards out and we snuff them out. Their CBs can spray the passes but can't defend like Bozzie, their midfield play great fancy dan passes but are open to counter attacks, their attack are good with their backs to goal but don't pose a threat in the box. We lure them on to us, catch them on the break and beat them.
There is an art setting up to play without the ball and the Cowleys are geniuses at it. Cooper doesn't come close to their tactical nous and awareness. A true football fan would realise that, BB obviously doesn't understand.