Swindon Sheridan Roundabouts | Page 8 | Vital Football

Swindon Sheridan Roundabouts

Last match of the Season is at Home against Swindon,
will we be Safe by then, Relegated, Relegation Decider,
or Liquidated?

Think leam is our best option, this is his team. Don't think anyone else would know the players as well as he does. We've been better with him since sheridan left, the last two have been appalling. Need to press much more, if we can do thay we look a much better team, just not sure we have the players who can do that. Almost every team in this league knocks it long, we just need to make them rush it, so they cannot get forward and support the knock down.
There were seven on there tonight that nobody knows. Leam doesnt really know them. Seven players who do not get games at their parent clubs but have landed at the good ship Bregbie. Please DW dont just watch what was your dream die. A fraction of what youre worth could see us safe.

I remember when people said that about Dunkley and how much better we were without him. Every time tilt touches the ball the opposition get it back, he panic's even when not under pressure. Shanks everything with both feet, the ball gets looped up the pitch as he leans too far back and scuffs it up field. Not to mention his marking is none exisitant, hes clumsy and a liability every game for us except two.

Think there was a moment where a simple long ball went towards him and didn't deal with it, ball bounced 3 times, and he still did not deal with it, made a complete mess and it almost caused Swindon to score another. Absolutely dreadful.

On the subject of Darnell he's played in wimbledons last two league games losing 2-0 in both games, they lost 3-1 tonight in the flt. If we cannot score against these on sat we may as well accept relegation, they haven't won a league game in their past 10, drawing 2, losing 8. Their last win came against bristol rovers dec 5th.

Maybe Wimbledon will be thinking the same about us!!!!

It's a difficult one - we had so many new players in there tonight & even the ones who've played a couple of games were playing alongside players they've barely met let alone played with before so it's understandable why it was such a disjointed performance
Doesn't excuse a keeper making a howler like that though nor whoever it was in defence who was caught completely out of position & allowed the original Swindon player to get a free header in

However, there's a niggling thing at the back if my mind that makes me think the club has made a bit of a boo boo with it's transfer policy over these last couple of weeks.
We always knew that this season was going to be a struggle & that some of our youngsters would either sink or swim & that there'd be some games where we'd get a bit of a kicking
So to still be in with a chance of safety at the halfway point of the season was great credit to them along with the smattering of loanees we had in
What the youngsters might have lacked in experience and quality they made up for with passion, enthusiasm & commitment and a bond from having played together for years, known each others strengths & weaknesses and the runs etc.. they're likely to make
With what we've done over the last couple of weeks though that's now gone & these lads have been replaced with journeymen pro's who've been around the block, who couldn't get games where they were, many of whom haven't played 1st team football in a long time and for whom we're just another club & as a result I can't help feeling that a bit of that spark has gone & the last couple of games have been a bit depressing & insipid when prior to that we had a bit of hope & belief.
I could see the sense in bringing in a few new faces but to change things quite so drastically I think has unsettled things & the time it takes for players to get match fit and build partnerships & understanding could finish our season.

Time will tell I guess

It's a difficult one - we had so many new players in there tonight & even the ones who've played a couple of games were playing alongside players they've barely met let alone played with before so it's understandable why it was such a disjointed performance
Doesn't excuse a keeper making a howler like that though nor whoever it was in defence who was caught completely out of position & allowed the original Swindon player to get a free header in

However, there's a niggling thing at the back if my mind that makes me think the club has made a bit of a boo boo with it's transfer policy over these last couple of weeks.
We always knew that this season was going to be a struggle & that some of our youngsters would either sink or swim & that there'd be some games where we'd get a bit of a kicking
So to still be in with a chance of safety at the halfway point of the season was great credit to them along with the smattering of loanees we had in
What the youngsters might have lacked in experience and quality they made up for with passion, enthusiasm & commitment and a bond from having played together for years, known each others strengths & weaknesses and the runs etc.. they're likely to make
With what we've done over the last couple of weeks though that's now gone & these lads have been replaced with journeymen pro's who've been around the block, who couldn't get games where they were, many of whom haven't played 1st team football in a long time and for whom we're just another club & as a result I can't help feeling that a bit of that spark has gone & the last couple of games have been a bit depressing & insipid when prior to that we had a bit of hope & belief.
I could see the sense in bringing in a few new faces but to change things quite so drastically I think has unsettled things & the time it takes for players to get match fit and build partnerships & understanding could finish our season.

Time will tell I guess
Last night seemed akin to the post Jan window re-shaped MacKay team in both its attitude and performance which ended up with relegation 🙄
Really hope I'm wrong here btw

Maybe Wimbledon will be thinking the same about us!!!!

In their past 5 league games they've scored 1, conceding 12. The fixtures i checked were wrong as well, they lost 9 of their past 11, drawing two. Their last win came against peterborough on dec 2nd.

They probably will be thinking the same way, but we cannot continue bottling the games which are even or better in our favour.

The next 5 matches are vital, we need some wins from these games to give the
team some morale boosting confidence and hopefully get us out of the bottom 4.

In their past 5 league games they've scored 1, conceding 12. The fixtures i checked were wrong as well, they lost 9 of their past 11, drawing two. Their last win came against peterborough on dec 2nd.

They probably will be thinking the same way, but we cannot continue bottling the games which are even or better in our favour.

True, we have to start beating teams around us, otherwise we could be in the bottom 4 for the rest of the season, there is no easy matches for us,
the way we have played recently.

We have to go for it from the first whistle and play with some tempo and intensity

Agree, we have to pressure teams and not give them acres of room by standing
back and waiting to stop them, our defence is then panicking and all at sea.

We have to be quick and more direct in our attacks to give us any chance of scoring, passing sideways and playing like a crab is getting us nowhere,
good teams can change their style of play when things are not going right,
we don't seem to be able to do this and we become too predictable to the other teams, who can read us like a book.

Has Moonays fence blown over? 😉Iv not noticed any thoughts on last nights result. If iv missed any im sorry in afvance
Humbling to know my views are so eagerly sought. ;)

I didn't come on this thread last night for one simple reason - it was going to be littered with slashed wrists.

Don't get me wrong, we were awful last night. I thought we - and Jones in particular - were very unlucky with the goal .......a point blank save, followed up by an offside player. However, our defending was generally not great.

Our midfield was crying out for someone to take responsibility. The only reason why the back 4 had to play it across themselves so often is because there was no-one to take it off them ........and then, play it to someone else. Merrie and Perry have done this well in the last few weeks, but last night, Ojo appeared at times to be deliberately avoiding moving to a position where he might be passed the ball !

Darikwa has his worst game last night, and there's no doubt that Johnston showed more promise last week than Wooten. Tilt has had decent and poor games for us. Last night was the latter.

The front 4 didn't really work things out between them. Given that all 4 have plenty of experience (even Lang), they must take ownership. Last night wasn't a bunch of kids busting their guts, and losing through their naivety.

Yep, we were as shite as we've been for a good while.

That said, the Management team have just been at a jumble sale. They had a jigsaw with quite a few pieces missing. Also, the picture on the box is from another jigsaw. Taking that into consideration, they bought a few loose pieces anyway. Last night, they tried banging a few into position, but they obviously didn't fit. Doesn't mean to say that they won't all go together though.

2 bad results - and 2 poor performances - on the trot isn't great. However, considering what we've been through so far this season, we could be in a far far worse position.

Yes, of course, at some point, we'll have to put a little run together. But we've done that before. We can do it again.

Humbling to know my views are so eagerly sought. ;)

I didn't come on this thread last night for one simple reason - it was going to be littered with slashed wrists.

Don't get me wrong, we were awful last night. I thought we - and Jones in particular - were very unlucky with the goal .......a point blank save, followed up by an offside player. However, our defending was generally not great.

Our midfield was crying out for someone to take responsibility. The only reason why the back 4 had to play it across themselves so often is because there was no-one to take it off them ........and then, play it to someone else. Merrie and Perry have done this well in the last few weeks, but last night, Ojo appeared at times to be deliberately avoiding moving to a position where he might be passed the ball !

Darikwa has his worst game last night, and there's no doubt that Johnston showed more promise last week than Wooten. Tilt has had decent and poor games for us. Last night was the latter.

The front 4 didn't really work things out between them. Given that all 4 have plenty of experience (even Lang), they must take ownership. Last night wasn't a bunch of kids busting their guts, and losing through their naivety.

Yep, we were as shite as we've been for a good while.

That said, the Management team have just been at a jumble sale. They had a jigsaw with quite a few pieces missing. Also, the picture on the box is from another jigsaw. Taking that into consideration, they bought a few loose pieces anyway. Last night, they tried banging a few into position, but they obviously didn't fit. Doesn't mean to say that they won't all go together though.

2 bad results - and 2 poor performances - on the trot isn't great. However, considering what we've been through so far this season, we could be in a far far worse position.

Yes, of course, at some point, we'll have to put a little run together. But we've done that before. We can do it again.

I know Tilt was ball watching for the goal, but I didn't think he was as bad as some others. At least he got stuck in, especially towards the end. Not the most cultured centre back, but robust!

I know Tilt was ball watching for the goal, but I didn't think he was as bad as some others. At least he got stuck in, especially towards the end. Not the most cultured centre back, but robust!
It's far too early to judge, and no doubt Richardson and Rioch will have a good look at them all in training, but I'd say that Tilt and Johnston might be the long term best pair, with Long taking over from one (probably Tilt) at some future point (though maybe next season).

He wasn't awful last night, just not particularly great ....... especially his unbelievable inaction on the cross for the goal.

moonay:

''I didn't come on this thread last night for one simple reason -
it was going to be littered with slashed wrists''.

A little light relief, in these dark times.

A little light relief, in these dark times.

Oh absolutely Springy. Each to their own opinions. It's just that I've never seen the point of plunging to the depths of despair, writing off players, managers (though not in this case to be fair), systems, formations, players positions, selections, etc given a single game.

Most players have good games and bad games. The % of that balance normally defines how we fans perceive the players, though for some, that's not always the case.

The winner was offside but the pressure on the cross, marking in the middle and keeping are all poor.

They've faffed around with the offside law since injury forced me to hang up my whistle so I'm not 100% up to date with everything, but I'm not 100% sure that under the interpretation of the laws that the goalscorer committed an offside offence.
It boils down to whether you judge Jamie Jones initial attempt to catch the ball as a deliberate play of the ball that was poorly executed as opposed to a reflex save that he had no control over where it ended up

if judging that it was a deliberate play of the ball that he messed up then it's no different to that top flight game the other week where one team had a player about 20 yards offside & the opposition defender brought down a punt upfield, played the ball, then got caught in possession by the player who had originally been in an offside position & the attacking team went & scored. As soon as that defender made a deliberate play of the ball, the attacker stopped committing an offside offence

Similarly last night, if you judge that rather than a reflex save Jones tried to catch it, messed it up, then tried to get the ball back then he's deliberately tried to play the ball & the attacker is no longer committing an offside offence & the goal was correctly given
if the initial header had gone down low to his right and he'd parried it in to the path of the attacker then it would have been offside & disallowed. Similarly if Tom Pearce had been on the line & kicked it towards the goalscorer then he wouldn't have been offside

That's how I think the officials interpreted it anyway - although I can see just as strong an argument for the laws to be interpreted for the offside to be given

Think what people forget as well is that a shit goalkeeper unsettles defenders who then struggle to focus on their own job. I guarantee we'd see an improvement from someone like Tilt if he looked behind him and knew he had a keeper he could trust. A dramatic comparison here but look at the Liverpool defenders whenever Alisson doesn't play. It's the same for any defence with a shit keeper.

You can also turn that around and say that a keeper with no confidence in his defence will make mistakes whilst trying to cover their mistakes.

There is only one good thing to come out of last nights game.

Sheridan will still be in charge.

Had they lost to us he would no doubt have been sacked and a new manger appointed. The fact that he is still in place gives me hope that their form won't improve and within a short time they will be back in the bottom four.