Swindon Sheridan Roundabouts | Page 9 | Vital Football

Swindon Sheridan Roundabouts

There is only one good thing to come out of last nights game.

Sheridan will still be in charge.

Had they lost to us he would no doubt have been sacked and a new manger appointed. The fact that he is still in place gives me hope that their form won't improve and within a short time they will be back in the bottom four.
That is what I will be telling my Swindon- supporting father-in-law. We may have been awful but they’ve still got Sheridan 😉 Incidentally after the game our old gaffer said he had a lot of affection for our coaching team and the guys at the club and that he hopes we’ll both stay up

You can also turn that around and say that a keeper with no confidence in his defence will make mistakes whilst trying to cover their mistakes.
Or that a decent keeper would have caught it or parried it out sideways and we wouldn't be talking about it / have an extra point on the board !

That is what I will be telling my Swindon- supporting father-in-law. We may have been awful but they’ve still got Sheridan 😉 Incidentally after the game our old gaffer said he had a lot of affection for our coaching team and the guys at the club and that he hopes we’ll both stay up

From what I saw of his team last night he has a lot on his plate. I said in my summation of the game that had we been up against a decent side we would have been stuffed and I stand by that. Swindon were very poor last night which just goes to show how bad we were.

There is no way I can see them not being relegated, unless they get shut of Sheridan.

Or that a decent keeper would have caught it or parried it out sideways and we wouldn't be talking about it / have an extra point on the board !

What that has to do with my reply to C latics comment is beyond me.

I think we all agree that JJ is not a world class stopper, but I will ask you again to provide the name of a keeper we could afford who is better. Your previous suggestion of Leutwiler seemed no better than what we have.

They've faffed around with the offside law since injury forced me to hang up my whistle so I'm not 100% up to date with everything, but I'm not 100% sure that under the interpretation of the laws that the goalscorer committed an offside offence.
It boils down to whether you judge Jamie Jones initial attempt to catch the ball as a deliberate play of the ball that was poorly executed as opposed to a reflex save that he had no control over where it ended up

if judging that it was a deliberate play of the ball that he messed up then it's no different to that top flight game the other week where one team had a player about 20 yards offside & the opposition defender brought down a punt upfield, played the ball, then got caught in possession by the player who had originally been in an offside position & the attacking team went & scored. As soon as that defender made a deliberate play of the ball, the attacker stopped committing an offside offence

Similarly last night, if you judge that rather than a reflex save Jones tried to catch it, messed it up, then tried to get the ball back then he's deliberately tried to play the ball & the attacker is no longer committing an offside offence & the goal was correctly given
if the initial header had gone down low to his right and he'd parried it in to the path of the attacker then it would have been offside & disallowed. Similarly if Tom Pearce had been on the line & kicked it towards the goalscorer then he wouldn't have been offside

That's how I think the officials interpreted it anyway - although I can see just as strong an argument for the laws to be interpreted for the offside to be given
I thought it was offside because when the other Swindon attacker made contact with the free header from the cross,the goalscorer Pitman was infront of him and our defence and was in an offside position.
If the initial free header had gone straight in then he wouldn't have been interferring with play and the goal would've stood.But because Jones made the save(yes he should've done better,but it wasn't straightforward as the ball bounced just in front of him),then Pitman was gaining an unfair advantage by being in an offside position in the 1st place and as a result was 1st to the rebound.So surely he is then offside and the goal shouldn't have stood.

The initial shot from Smith was straight at Jones, it should of been a routine save, but unfortunately he miss handled the ball onto his chest. The two actions for me cannot place a player offside. If he had parried it or if it bounced straight off his chest then i would see it as offside.

I thought it was offside because when the other Swindon attacker made contact with the free header from the cross,the goalscorer Pitman was infront of him and our defence and was in an offside position.
If the initial free header had gone straight in then he wouldn't have been interferring with play and the goal would've stood.But because Jones made the save(yes he should've done better,but it wasn't straightforward as the ball bounced just in front of him),then Pitman was gaining an unfair advantage by being in an offside position in the 1st place and as a result was 1st to the rebound.So surely he is then offside and the goal shouldn't have stood.
If you look at the replay Pitman gained his unfair advantage and momentum of going towards the goal because Darikwa pushed him!

If you look at the replay Pitman gained his unfair advantage and momentum of going towards the goal because Darikwa pushed him!
Yep,good spot.Pitman got in front of Darikwa just as the cross comes in.He must've done it in an attempt to try and put him off his stride at getting on the end of the ball directly from the cross.He must be a strong fella though,being able to push forward that big,fat shithouse.Right irritating bugger he was,moaning at the officials at ht and constantly winning cheap free kicks.
He's got previous with us as well when he prompted a reaction from Dunkley playing for Pompey a few years ago.As a result Dunks got sent off and we ended up dropping 2 points from a winning position.
End of the day though he's done a job for his team and hopefully Proctor can bring a similar sort of thing to us.