Swansea v Villa, Weds 26th December, 3pm - Match Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

Swansea v Villa, Weds 26th December, 3pm - Match Thread

A win is a win is a win. In some ways scraping a 1-0 win when you play poorly is very satisfying . Credit to nyland. That was a decent save but he still gives you the jitters every time a cross goes over.

I’m still bloody miserable from the last game to be honest, and those Leeds scummies did it again today.. I really don’t like them at all. I would love it if we denied them promotion later in the season or the play offs

Oh and the ref was a liability again. There is a reason he has been demoted from the premiership games. He is clueless.

Well the so called difficult set of fixtures up to Christmas have been navigated without a major meltdown and now we can look forward to some new faces in January to strengthen the squad in the defensive areas and posts in midfield. We need Grealish back soon but when that happens we could have a good squad going forward with momentum up until May. Elphick could be recalled and possibly Suliman and who knows even Gardner too as he has put in some good performances and has had game time.
It could be a good 2019 after all - when we consider that in June we could have been out of business, we are not really in such a bad position after all.

Any news on injuries for the next game? Assume Tuanzebe is out for a long while but Grealish? Taylor?

I’m no fan of Taylor but we were doing better with a left back actually playing left back before he was injured.

Taylor has seemed okay in games except in the final 20-15 minutes thats when he starts to fade and really make mistakes. I'd rather start him there than Hutton but we won't kid ourselves its a positions we've struggled with for years and Taylor like Hutton is only a short term fix in that position.

I was so pleased to hear Smith's description of the midfield change. I thought McGinn had gone nuts and was pushing up while the others were sitting back. A proper coach who reads the opposition.

A good day out....always helped by 3 points of course! Sometimes you have to grind out results when you don't play so well and today was one of those days. We've had a few where we've played a lot better and haven't got three points so we'll take the 3 today and move on. Thought we were second best for the first 25 mins, reminded me of many a 'Bruce like' away performance but unlike Bruce we tinkered with the system, went 4231 and thought we generally controlled the game from then onwards without hitting the heights of the Derby, M'bro and even the Albion games. Pleased for Nyland, great penalty save, debatable decision hut wasn't surprised when Mr East gave it.....he's bloody useless! Having read through the thread and quite a few moans and groans re team selection etc was interesting to hear that O'Hare now has an injury and JDH has been ill......options decreasing by the day for Smith. Big call to select Elmo but would have had to select Ravan in order to select Bree at right back and that would arguably have been an even bigger call. Incidentally Revan looks quite small for a centre half both in terms of height and stature. So all in all, a gd 3 pts with plenty of very winnable games on the horizon along with additions to the squad. Let's hope today marks the beginning of another long, unbeaten run with a few more victories in it this time rather than draws. Preston, QPR, Wigan, Hull, Ipswich, Reading.....nothing to fear in that list at all!

Maybe we didn't deserve to win that game, but we didn't deserve to not win against the Albion, swings and roundabouts I guess!

Fantastic win - just need to scrape some points together whilst we get some players back / or signed.

We deserve a bit of luck IMO.

Another game that brings us closer to the January transfer window and a most welcome and necessary 3 points for a playoff place?

After some tweaks to the system that clearly wasn't working for around the first 25 minutes Dean and the players finally got it together...Well done Dean for being publicly honest in admitting you got it wrong to start with.

A special mention to Nyland for the penalty save :clap:- I'm really pleased for the guy.

Last edited:
Lovely that was !!!.

Game of two halves. First half, we were hopeless. Back to the Bruce, slow, slow side, back hoof. No team work, no hunger - and yet, even with that, we should have been well ahead. Tammy missed 3 headers , somehow, McGinn didnt score, so it was very frustrating.

2nd, we totally took control, we deserved the goal, what a great cross from Hutton and THAT is why we need Hourihane !!.

And then we were totally comfortable until El Ghazi thought he wanted to be a MMA fighter.

But....... even before that happened I had said "fair play to the bloke, I never thought I would ever say this but Nyland has been MotM today, not for saves, coz he has been comfortable, but for commanding". And do you know what, I think most people there knew he was going to save it !!!!.

Great day. Special mention to Swansea - the fans are welcoming, friendly and do not stop singing. The ground set up is superb , parking great, pub 20 yards from ground, and straight out with hardly any queues.

Top club, top day, top result.

4 more on the bounce please !!!

Motm - Nyland

Also haven’t seen the game due to family reasons, doesn’t sound pretty but we won. Most important box ticked at least, although winning like that is a Brucey bonus and not sustainable. They can be the most satisfying wins though that’s for sure.

Hopefully we can follow up on Saturday with another 3 points :utv: