Swansea v Villa, Weds 26th December, 3pm - Match Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

Swansea v Villa, Weds 26th December, 3pm - Match Thread

That Norwich draw isn't too bad for us. Pegs Forest back and we're now above them.

Hope Preston losing means they're on a bad run.

Blues 1 point below the playoffs; they couldn't, could they?

Any news on injuries for the next game? Assume Tuanzebe is out for a long while but Grealish? Taylor?

I’m no fan of Taylor but we were doing better with a left back actually playing left back before he was injured.

I was thinking the same during the game. Need him back soon, or bring someone in asap.

The only thing missing today from being a Steve Bruce's team's performance was longballs from Nyland. We did not create much if anything at all, and were lucky with the result. However, we will take wins no matter how they come ! We need to get as many wins against relatively weaker teams till Jack returns for the big games. Now a win at Preston please.

Don't care. Didn't care.

Just get in and get out with a win. Any how.

Got away with it?.

With the line up. Yes.

Mixture of poor selection and not alot else he can do selection for Smith.

Smith must be having the mentality to just get through this period . Going with tried and trusted. After seeing how well we did at our 'Full strength' capability he can't be happy with the quality of the last few games but must be happy with the spirit

Overall though I am fascinated to see what will happen when he has the exact team he wants, not this make do and mend situation left to him.

McGinn seemingly now 1 yellow from a 2 match ban. Maybe needs to get it in last minute of QPR game so only misses 1 league game. Stupidity though to get booked again for dissent.

Had to watch this on the red button but it's a bit like watching it live as you don't get 10 replays of every incident. Poor show really after recent weeks but the result was all that mattered today. My Player ratings.

Nyland: 7 Finally won us a game with a Penalty save, probably making him MOTM by default. Clean sheet.

Elmo: 5 Gave nothing going forwards and not much more defensively. I'm being generous, aren't I?

Bree: 6 Thought he did ok certainly wasn't the worst game he's had.

Chester: 6 Not his best game but we kept them out so get an extra point

Hutton: 6 Giving him that as he set up the Goal, I nearly said the "A" word then.

Whelan: 4 Chased shadows most of the game, never got going,

McGinn: 5 probably his worst game, he's set the bar high but wasn't his day, missed a sitter as well.

Hourihane: 5 Gets that for his goal otherwise see Whelan.

El Ghazi: 4 Flattered to deceive, a point off for needlessly giving away a penalty.

Tammy: 5 Didn't do enough for me, but never had a decent chance.

Bolasie:4 should have been subbed far earlier than he was for Albert. Looked as out of sorts as most of them to be fair.

Subs:

Albert: 6 Came on did his job as he nearly always does.

Kodj and Barney not on long enough to rate. should have been on a lot sooner in my view.

Coach:

Smith: 6 Probably our worst performance under him but we got the win despite it.

That Norwich draw isn't too bad for us. Pegs Forest back and we're now above them.

Hope Preston losing means they're on a bad run.

Blues 1 point below the playoffs; they couldn't, could they?

I’ve said for months that Blues could make the play offs if they remain lucky with injuries (obviously dependent on any potential fair play sanction). Their first 11 are doing well but they would struggle if they lost 3 or 4 as they have no depth...preferably starting with us recalling Gardner!

Any news on injuries for the next game? Assume Tuanzebe is out for a long while but Grealish? Taylor?

I’m no fan of Taylor but we were doing better with a left back actually playing left back before he was injured.

Taylor's supposed to be coming back from a hamstring injury; shouldn't be too long. Jack's a big mystery, they haven't said whether it's a muscle or ligament problem, or bone damage. If it's something like damage to a major blood vessel it could be some time.

McGinn seemingly now 1 yellow from a 2 match ban. Maybe needs to get it in last minute of QPR game so only misses 1 league game. Stupidity though to get booked again for dissent.

They changed the rules on that so bookings only count for the competition they were received in

I’ve said for months that Blues could make the play offs if they remain lucky with injuries (obviously dependent on any potential fair play sanction). Their first 11 are doing well but they would struggle if they lost 3 or 4 as they have no depth...preferably starting with us recalling Gardner!
I would play Gardner ahead of whelan any day.

Needs to learn to channel his energy and enthusiasm more productively rather than getting wound up and getting pointless bookings. I also think he burns himself out during the 90 minutes he always fades last 10-15 of the game but otherwise a cracking player at this level