Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 96 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Harvey apparently follows us on social media.
People putting 2 and 2 together.

Calm, ball-playing Midfielder
A long-serving Academy player, Harvey has progressed right through the Academy youth teams since starting in the Under-9s.
Strong at breaking up play and calm in his distribution as a defensive midfielder, Harvey signed as a scholar in July 2020.

Dunkley is superb for this level, I'm surprised Sheff Wed are letting him go. He'll be a tremendous signing for Sunderland if that's true. I'm a bit surprised if he is available that we aren't looking at him.

Is he better than Bailey Wright and would I prefer Dunkley back over him? I don't know - we are obviously very familiar with Dunkley and what he can do but I've not seen Wright play enough recently to compare.

Source Sunderland Jerno John Swift

Some interesting news coming out of the Stadium of Light tonight..

Sheffield Wednesday's Chey Dunkley is set to make a move to the Black Cats.

In order to replace Bailey Wright, who is set to move to rival league one side, Wigan Athletic, imminently.

#wafc #safc #swfc

Just had a look at that account and he only has 5 followers and hardly any posts. I don't think it's credible.

Although I think Wright to us imminently isn't a bad guess.

Dunkley is superb for this level, I'm surprised Sheff Wed are letting him go. He'll be a tremendous signing for Sunderland if that's true. I'm a bit surprised if he is available that we aren't looking at him.

Is he better than Bailey Wright and would I prefer Dunkley back over him? I don't know - we are obviously very familiar with Dunkley and what he can do but I've not seen Wright play enough recently to compare.

Is he leaving though? I couldn't find anything about it, he was on their bench today.

He even posted this the other day:

Wycombe apparently want to buy Lavelle and Sam Cosgrove on loan.

I think we could do with looking at those 2.

We've discussed having a third striker as back up and the use of a target man but after yesterday i think the target man shaped hole was quite obvious.

There will be games where you end up forced to go long and I think in those games you need that option and we simply don't have it. If you went for Cosgrove you'd obviously not be bringing him in just to play in an injury crisis but I think having a target in your match day squad is something we need and if Cosgrove is available on loan he's probably one of the best options.

Nixon saying he expects Wright to us will move forward now.

Think after being overlooked for captain, squad number taken off him and not starting yesterday despite a defensive lack of numbers the writing is on the wall that he's going.

I don't think we need a target man, we just need to stop playing long when our strengths are clearly on the ball. Obviously that is down to midfielders more than most, so getting in someone like McGrath will help a ton. Jones strikes me as a direct winger that will work to Wykes strengths but we don't really have that pure balance on the right unless Massey plays there, but that means leaving Lang out or up top. Leam has a really good problem to solve here.

Get some centrebacks, someone to give Darikwa competition, and McGrath, and keep the ball on the floor and we will grow into the season.

I don't think we need a target man, we just need to stop playing long when our strengths are clearly on the ball. Obviously that is down to midfielders more than most, so getting in someone like McGrath will help a ton. Jones strikes me as a direct winger that will work to Wykes strengths but we don't really have that pure balance on the right unless Massey plays there, but that means leaving Lang out or up top. Leam has a really good problem to solve here.

Get some centrebacks, someone to give Darikwa competition, and McGrath, and keep the ball on the floor and we will grow into the season.

For me in football you always need the target man option in your squad. It gives you another dimension and options tactically - defending a lead when under heavy pressure, working around a high press, hold up play to get up the pitch, 2 up front, when you are late in the game and losing but nothing else has worked having ability to go direct, creating space for others etc.

Also you don't have to become a Pulis type long ball side to have an effective target man. At the end of our admin hit season Moore was immense but we were playing good football and in previous years DiSanto and Kone both played an effective target men in teams that weren't long ball.

If we don't get a target man in I think we'll regret it and be signing one in January.

For me in football you always need the target man option in your squad. It gives you another dimension and options tactically - defending a lead when under heavy pressure, working around a high press, hold up play to get up the pitch, 2 up front, when you are late in the game and losing but nothing else has worked having ability to go direct, creating space for others etc.

Also you don't have to become a Pulis type long ball side to have an effective target man. At the end of our admin hit season Moore was immense but we were playing good football and in previous years DiSanto and Kone both played an effective target men in teams that weren't long ball.

If we don't get a target man in I think we'll regret it and be signing one in January.

I definitely think Leam should make you his third assistant manager in charge of recruitment strategies and match tactics top two would be a cinch;)

Sammy Morsy just substituted by Middlesbrough….I wonder what it would cost to get him back in the engine room and whether he would come of course

Sammy Morsy just substituted by Middlesbrough….I wonder what it would cost to get him back in the engine room and whether he would come of course

I imagine he wouldn't want to drop down to L1 even if we could convince Boro to sell.

Maybe in the future if he ends up a fringe player but I think he'll likely be in their first team for the foreseeable.

Can't say I follow them a whole lot but I thought he had lost his starting spot at the end of last season? They lost some players but they brought in Crooks who started today and Payero (for a fortune) who I reckon will be very important for them.