Summer Transfer Window | Page 85 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Window

Deadline day is my birthday. At least I got a kick ass new Tervis cup from the kids.

Attachments

• spurs.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Wow. Ambition.

Replaced CCV/Wimmer

Replaced Walker

Davison decent

Llorente = failed Janssen

No attacking pace/no extra creativity and still same squad holes

If we had signed Sancho as well or Gray I would be slightly more optimistic. But the fact we still lack genuine pace/speed in the final third of the pitch is a massive piss take. What is Poch is problem with pace?

It's obvious to anyone we needed an AM to push Alli and Eriksen. It was obvious to anyone we needed an up grade on N'Kou as Poch just doesn't rate him.

I like the Sanches deal, he is a beast of a young player. Llorente is good for a short term fix. The rest are average or poor signings.

Well I was hoping we wont weaken our team and we didnt. All players which have left except Kyle were Players we dont use. I didnt recon with a big signing (As we dont spend big). Aurier is a perfect replacement for Kyle. A french mate told me that he is very good and if he gets on with Poch we will like him. Sanches is a better replacement for Wimmer. Llorente is a good backup stricker. As we could keep Harry, Alli, Dier, Rose, Hugo, Dembele and Eriksen I am very happy with the transfer window.

I think this window was a missed opportunity. We needed to address 4 main issues:

Keeping our best players: Done.
We only sold who we wanted to sell, so props to everyone.

Deadwood: Failed.
Only Sissoko really fits this description, and he is still here, and on 90k a week.

Extending Toby's contract: Massive failure.
We had all summer to sort this out and nada.

Transfers:
Going into this window I felt we only needed 2 players - a CB and an AM. As soon as we knew we are going to lose Walker a RB was added to that list.

Onomah/CCV - Great business loaning them out.

Sanchez - I don't mind the 42 million price tag, I'm all for paying more for less players. He is a top class athlete with bags of potential and already experienced with European football. Perfect signing but absolutely horrible timing.
I don't see any reason we couldn't have signed him before pre season - We bought him from Ajax and paid whatever they asked (which happened to smash our transfer record). Unless he only became a target late in the window, I can't see a good reason for this.

Aurier - Poch feels he can sort out his attitude problems, big gamble but fair enough. He has the athleticism, ability and potential to improve. IF he sorts himself out he is a huge upgrade on Walker. This can either be cracking business or a major fuck up.

Gazzaneega - We paid 1.5 million for Lopez's loan move last year, paid his wages and invested in his training, only to sign another keeper, while we still have Vorm. Don't know anything about him except that we paid 3 million and now have 3 keepers on our books.

Foyth - 10 million for a 4th CB who is one for the (far) future. He would probably train with us this season only to be loaned out next.

Llorente - 12 million for a 3rd striker who doesn't fit our play style. We were in the market last season for a different type of CF - Batshuyai and Sandro Ramirez, and we ended up with Janssen. We invested heavily in his first season only to show lack of faith in him(as we have done with other signings) and brought a slower, even less mobile striker that sits in the box and thrives on crosses.
Since he is on a 2 year deal I don't expect him to be here next season.

So we paid 25 million(or 28 including agent fees) for 3 players, not including their wages, we are still 15 million in negative spend, and couldn't find an AM.

We had the time, funds and pulling power yet failed to bring an attacking player to push our starters, and this is a huge failure IMO.

Again another window past and again we have not strengthen the starting line up. Yes we have spent some money. Although I like Aurier and hope he is better than walker. I know nothing of Davidson or Foyth. I do not like Llorente. For me not great again

Lets be honest making net profit was the goal. We were never going to go after that star player and the last ditch attempts like moura were all bollocks.

Anyway, we did ok in this window and we have to get rose and aurier on the pitch together to get that pace in the attacking play.

Lloris
Aurier - Sanchez - Toby - Jan - Rose
Wanyama - Dembele
Eriksen - Dele
Kane

--------------------------------------------------
Vorm, Davies, Dier, Winks, Lamela, Son, Llorente.

Team looks stronger, bench looks stronger. Yes, we have some long term injuries but those players will be back fairly soon. And I haven't even included Gazzaniga, Foyth, Trippier, KWP, Sissoko, N'Koudou and Janssen in that team.

Dier and Davies need to be playing regularly to be effective. The rest are great subs.

That does look a pretty impressive team and bench, still think we are 1 special player short of genuinely challenging on all fronts (if we weren't at Wembley)

Agree 80 about Dier & Davies.

What concerns me more than the new recruits is that we still have not addressed the problem of the Alli/Eriksen/Dier content of the team. Alli should make a much bigger contribution to the momentum of our play in the final 3rd but seems to think he is beyond having to do that. Eriksen in the last part of last season was on fire but for much of the season struggled to make the level of impact he is capable of. We needed someone to sub for him when he is off form. And Dier, well if he doesn't start playing soon he may well be a bench sulker for much of the season. He is talented but he needs to show it by upping his contribution to the overall momentum of our play instead of leaving it to others. In our games so far this season both Alli and Dier have largely been spectators.
As far as the window goes it has been a financial success once again and offered us a chance to create some powerful attacking play from the back if the new guys are as good as their videos. I like Llorente and think he will score goals and will play well with Kane if we decide to play 2 strikers or Kane as a 10. Anyway, it all over now and off we go.

We need to hope Sanchez can hit the ground running. I think Poch will ease him in but it's going to be difficult, he's young, in a position where mistakes are fatal and has the big price tag around his neck. He seems extremely confident however and perfect for the right side of our defence. I trust Poch to manage his integration well.

Gutted we didn't get a top class AM but with the limited number of them out there and the madness of the market right now Levy was never going to get it done.

Harry-Kari - 1/9/2017 16:51

What concerns me more than the new recruits is that we still have not addressed the problem of the Alli/Eriksen/Dier content of the team. Alli should make a much bigger contribution to the momentum of our play in the final 3rd but seems to think he is beyond having to do that. Eriksen in the last part of last season was on fire but for much of the season struggled to make the level of impact he is capable of. We needed someone to sub for him when he is off form. And Dier, well if he doesn't start playing soon he may well be a bench sulker for much of the season. He is talented but he needs to show it by upping his contribution to the overall momentum of our play instead of leaving it to others. In our games so far this season both Alli and Dier have largely been spectators.
As far as the window goes it has been a financial success once again and offered us a chance to create some powerful attacking play from the back if the new guys are as good as their videos. I like Llorente and think he will score goals and will play well with Kane if we decide to play 2 strikers or Kane as a 10. Anyway, it all over now and off we go.

I feel like where he's deployed these days it's Dele's job to score goals, and a return of 2 goals in 3 games to start the season shows he's been far more than a spectator. Eriksen started a bit slowly but had a fantastic season last year - I feel like letting him play himself into form did him favours, if we'd have dropped him after a couple of average games there's no guarantee he'd have had the same return. Top assists in the entire league wasn't it?

If Lamela regains fitness I think having Lamela and Son breathing down Dele and Eriksen's necks is plenty and then there's still a chance Sissoko or N'Koudou will have a positive contribution, or one of our younger prospects like Edwards.

We'd all love to have a brought in a Sanchez, Hazard, Mane sort of type of AM but I don't think we're that lacking in that department really.

Although most of our signings were of a defensive nature. They are all forward thinking players who could spring attacks. We still have Lamela to come back, Janssen to improve hopefully, Son to get back fit. Sissoko to be utilized correctly ( hopefully) Winks to get back sharp and Edwards waiting to break through to add to our established attacking line up. Llorente is a bonus to an already promising attack . I don't see a problem in scoring goals or defending them in comparison to last season.

We've more than enough to finish in the top 4. I expect us to finish right up there with only the Manchester clubs as true threats.

Liverpool and Chavs may have something to say about the top 4 too. Which makes it hard for us what with playing away all season. I have been pessimistic about this season down to various factors suggesting a tough season for us.

I disagree that Llorente is a 3rd choice. With eriksens dead balls and corner kicks we now have a legitimate threat at scoring on corners and such. We have been very inept in this department. Jansen is 3rd choice for me. He has brought nothing positive to the team other than his attitude.

Hi Lads, question. About 10 hours after the window closed I was lying in bed reading an article on the PL App which ranked the top 5 teams in terms of transfers.

We were ranked 5th.... behind Manu, Leicester, Wba and Watford. In the piece on us it listed Andre Gomes as a transfer?

Did the writer jump the gun and then fail to remove this quickly? I woke in the morning and was unable to find the article.

Am I missing something?