Summer Transfer Thread | Page 82 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

15 players out the door. 8 in. 2are injured. We desperately short of one or 2 more. Players.

How about including those from the U21s who are obviously being considered to be good enough for a League 1 squad?

If we're going to compare numbers, then at least do it as apples and apples.

EDIT ... and while we're at it, let's also acknowledge that some of those 15 hardly ever stepped foot onto the DW pitch last season.

How about including those from the U21s who are obviously being considered to be good enough for a League 1 squad?

If we're going to compare numbers, then at least do it as apples and apples.

EDIT ... and while we're at it, let's also acknowledge that some of those 15 hardly ever stepped foot onto the DW pitch last season.
We are way short. One or 2 from the under 21 might make the step but not 4 or 5. Goal keeper. Looks ok. But can’t see a lot in the back 4 to protect him. Midfield looks very lightweight. And we are. Lightweight up front.

We are way short. One or 2 from the under 21 might make the step but not 4 or 5. Goal keeper. Looks ok. But can’t see a lot in the back 4 to protect him. Midfield looks very lightweight. And we are. Lightweight up front.

Hold on a second ... which ones of those 15 stars you were continually lambasting last season would you like to have kept hold of?

Presumably, you're fine with anyone - absolutely anyone at all - replacing Darikwa, and with Morrison, Watts and a fit again Kerr replacing Whatmough and Tilt (admittedly Rekik is a loss), what's the issue with the back 4? Did you want to keep Bennett?

Midfield, maybe a touch weaker in experience, but the we appear to have gained in speed and creativity.

Up front, Keane's obviously a loss, but please say you're not upset at replacing Fletcher with Humphries. Also, Sze and Stones are every bit as good as Joseph was when he was thrust in at this level, and of course, we have a fit again (hopefully) Wyle, and Lang who's proven what a handful he is in L1.

4 or 5 don't need to make the step up to the team ... just the squad, and from what we've seen so far, I don't think we need have much doubt that they appear capable of doing that.

Hold on a second ... which ones of those 15 stars you were continually lambasting last season would you like to have kept hold of?

Presumably, you're fine with anyone - absolutely anyone at all - replacing Darikwa, and with Morrison, Watts and a fit again Kerr replacing Whatmough and Tilt (admittedly Rekik is a loss), what's the issue with the back 4? Did you want to keep Bennett?

Midfield, maybe a touch weaker in experience, but the we appear to have gained in speed and creativity.

Up front, Keane's obviously a loss, but please say you're not upset at replacing Fletcher with Humphries. Also, Sze and Stones are every bit as good as Joseph was when he was thrust in at this level, and of course, we have a fit again (hopefully) Wyle, and Lang who's proven what a handful he is in L1.

4 or 5 don't need to make the step up to the team ... just the squad, and from what we've seen so far, I don't think we need have much doubt that they appear capable of doing that.
Said a few weeks ago if we lose Whatmough we will be in trouble. Signing Watts hasn’t change my mind. And losing a 20:goal forward won’t help.

Said a few weeks ago if we lose Whatmough we will be in trouble. Signing Watts hasn’t change my mind. And losing a 20:goal forward won’t help.

You've now changed your worries to quality rather than quantity, ,,,though I certainly agree re Keane.

As far as Whatmough goes, his partner(s) for much of our title winning season was Kell Watts and/or Jason Kerr. I see it as Hughes replacing Whatmough, we have Morrison instead of Tilt, and we're back to that season ... what's the problem?

(admittedly Rekik is a loss), what's the issue with the back 4? Did you want to keep Bennett?
Technically Rekik isn't one of the 15, he is one of the 6 loan players who have gone back to their parent clubs.
21 players have left now and a good few of the backroom staff and the Chief Exec and Directors.
Our wage bill must be at least half what is was.
Rekik looked a good player and I would have had him back, but I expect his wages were quite high coming from Arsenal..

You've now changed your worries to quality rather than quantity, ,,,though I certainly agree re Keane.

As far as Whatmough goes, his partner(s) for much of our title winning season was Kell Watts and/or Jason Kerr. I see it as Hughes replacing Whatmough, we have Morrison instead of Tilt, and we're back to that season ... what's the problem?
We are short of experience in the team but we will soon find out in the next few games. Next thing you will be saying Maloney is happy with the squad.

We are short of experience in the team but we will soon find out in the next few games. Next thing you will be saying Maloney is happy with the squad.

Maloney has already said its going to be a tough start due to the take over etc...

I really do hope that some of our fans are going to give the team a chance before getting on the players backs.

Just remember that it could be a parent of one of the many youngsters reading this forum gauging the fans reaction to their performance.

Maloney has already said its going to be a tough start due to the take over etc...

I really do hope that some of our fans are going to give the team a chance before getting on the players backs.

Just remember that it could be a parent of one of the many youngsters reading this forum gauging the fans reaction to their performance.
I’m hopeful we see see a good season out of Pearce. For a change. It’s a make or break season for him. Just hope we gets a run of games. Out of him.

You throw out statements like confetti, but never actually respond to the points that are challenged ...

Short of experience? ...
Old heads: McClean, Lang, Wyke, Magennis, McManaman
In their prime: Humphrys, Kerr, J Smith, Clare,
Young lions: Hughes, M Smith, Shaw, Watts, Morrison, Aasgard

"Maloney is happy with the squad"? ... I don't need to say it, as he's already said it himself.

If I'm honest, I reckon most of us will have a few concerns that we're going to be asking a lot of young players to shine this season ... but most of us are probably approaching the season with cautious optimism. After all, what's the point in thinking we're going to be shite/cannon fodder/wet behind the ears/whatever other reason for taking a miserable outlook?

You're moaning about the lack of Whatmough in the team Ooooooo, but it wasn't that long ago when we came very close to losing our club once again in the last 3 years.

Our defence (once Clair is fit) is arguably as strong as it was in 21/22. Our midfield is the best quality wise on the ball we've had in a long time. Keane is a loss going forward but I'd say our attack is still stronger than last season.

I don't know why people are worried were the goals are gonna come from.
If Maloney can get us playing as he wants then we'll pass the ball around teams and with player movement then whoever is in the box will do the business.
I can see the likes of Wyke, Lang, Humphrys and maybe Thelo getting 15 to 20 goals this season. With numerous other players chipping in with 10 or so goals we'll be fine.

I think Wyke and Magennis could get more opportunities to score if we see Jordan Jones and Jonny Smith come into the team and are used as proper wingers. Wyke’s best season at Sunderland came when he had McGeady playing as a winger and putting crosses in for him to attack. Magennis is also best when he has crosses from the byline to attack.

We'll live or die this season on how good a coach Maloney is. He's aiming to play a very ambitious style that I don't think has ever really been tried at this level.

He is looking to do what MK Dons did in our promotion season - competing with teams who had bigger budgets and more established players by playing better football.

They also found some gems bigger clubs overlooked and them more than the sum of it's parts.

The quality and correct profile of player is obviously important but I think if Maloney can get the system to work as he hopes it could be greater than the sum of it's parts. It's a big bold approach that has involves risk but has a lot of potential if we can get it right, but it's easier said than done.