Summer Transfer Thread | Page 80 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

Agree with all u say there TB, somehow I doubt this is gonna be rectified any time in the near future. As u quite rightly say, there should become a proviso put in after a said amount of time where wages are regularly paid otherwise it's an ongoing saga that does our new owners or fans any good whatsoever.
Bet if this sort of thing happened at a Utd or City club it would be sorted quicker than u cud blink an eye...😉🤔

The thing is Jock that I doubt it would happen to a club with an established ownership, they would know the regulations whereas I think our last owners were totally naive. In my opinion they were totally unaware of the rules regarding late payment of wages and how that would affect them going forward.

Other clubs have got into similar financial situations to us and avoided the consequences we are seeing by ensuring players wages were a priority.

Reading at present are prioritising wages over HMRC payments thus maintaining their contracts whilst taking a hit on transfers. I'm not for one minute saying that we could have done that but I do believe that the owner and Directors weren't aware that players could rip up their contracts as a consequence of them not being paid on time.

This would have had an impact on any future plans, if as suggested they were initially looking for other investment to enable them to continue ownership. The players were given the ammunition well in advance of Talal and Al Jasmi bailing out and had they remained as owners would now be facing seeing their investment walk out the door.

Unfortunately the shit is now raining down on Mr Danson instead of those that caused the shitstorm and we have to live with it.

Supposedly if we go up the owner(s) have to pay Al Jasmi a relatively large sum of money. Think it was around 5 million. Doubt Maloney will purposefully make us stay down because of that though

I think if I was Mr Danson I would be renegotiating those clauses citing the loss of assets due to their mismanagement in allowing players contracts to be torn up over their late payment of wages.

Supposedly if we go up the owner(s) have to pay Al Jasmi a relatively large sum of money. Think it was around 5 million. Doubt Maloney will purposefully make us stay down because of that though

The revenue for staying at this level means you'll almost certainly lose money as it's so small. I think you only get 1.8m for being in L1 compared to 6m for being in the Championship. Obviously costs can also go up if you want to compete in the Championship so whatever level you're at you have to manage your finances well, but it's probably easier trying to break even with a higher revenue than a lower one.

The new tv deal is also kicking in next season the rise in tv revenue for being in L1 is about a quarter compared to half in the Championship. That's not even mentioning the other increases in revenue you get for playing at a higher level. Also with our new model being dependent on selling players to try and balance the books, you'll likely be in a stronger position to set a higher asking price for players if you are in a higher league than a lower league.

If we went up immediately but had t pay out say 5m, it would probably still be financially better for the club than staying in L1 and paying him nothing.

I think if I was Mr Danson I would be renegotiating those clauses citing the loss of assets due to their mismanagement in allowing players contracts to be torn up over their late payment of wages.

He took the club over knowing the playing walking out was a risk, so i don't think he'd have any grounds for that unfortunately.

Kendrick has said that there was some type of window for the players to hand in notice that has now passed. Apparently Whatmough and McGrath handed their notice in a while ago. Nixon had said something similar about a deadline a few weeks ago but was very vague about it.

So no one else in theory can use the loophole now.

Kendrick has said that there was some type of window for the players to hand in notice that has now passed. Apparently Whatmough and McGrath handed their notice in a while ago. Nixon had said something similar about a deadline a few weeks ago but was very vague about it.

So no one else in theory can use the loophole now.

Probably because the season starts before their notice period ends and as I have previously said the players can't tear up their contracts once the season starts under FIFA regulations.

Just read the interview with SM on Wigan Today and it seems that the players were determined to go and the club unwilling to spend money on a legal fight. I think Maloney's comments sum up what he thought about the advice they have been given.

"I met them both on Thursday morning, and it was really difficult," he said.
"They've obviously had advice - and I have my own opinion on that advice.

I think he believes, as I do, that a legal challenge was needed to sort out the mess. There is obviously two differing legal opinions on this and the club failing to test this in the courts could open up a can of worms for other clubs as well as us.

This really could be a "Bosman" moment for the future of football.

So the billionaire business man has decided what he will and will not spend his money on. Sensible I would say. Oh and thank you Mr Danson for digging my football club out of a huge pile of sh1t.

I do wish people who whine about the cost of pies and parking would stop trying to tell our owner what he can and cannot do with his money.

Just read the interview with SM on Wigan Today and it seems that the players were determined to go and the club unwilling to spend money on a legal fight. I think Maloney's comments sum up what he thought about the advice they have been given.

"I met them both on Thursday morning, and it was really difficult," he said.
"They've obviously had advice - and I have my own opinion on that advice.

I think he believes, as I do, that a legal challenge was needed to sort out the mess. There is obviously two differing legal opinions on this and the club failing to test this in the courts could open up a can of worms for other clubs as well as us.

This really could be a "Bosman" moment for the future of football.
The sad thing is we've been on the other side of this in the past. Andy Webster used a FIFA regulation to step out of his contract after 3 years and sign for us, they ended up getting only 150k.

The sad thing is we've been on the other side of this in the past. Andy Webster used a FIFA regulation to step out of his contract after 3 years and sign for us, they ended up getting only 150k.

I always understood this to be a fix to allow the player to move to another club within Scotland, when the original selling club would not sell him to the club he ended up at.

Memory gone about the clubs involved.

It did involve some compensatory trade involving DW or JJB

I had actually forgotten about that. This was as a result of the EU changing freedom of movement regulations and forced the hand of FIFA to once again make a hasty change to its regulations. The difference here was that the player was able to cancel his contract and move on but there was a nominal fee paid which I would advocate needs to be inserted into the legislation over the unilateral cancellation of contracts that we are currently seeing at the club.

As you point out though we have been the beneficiaries of a similar ruling in the past so I think it could be said that what comes around goes around.

The revenue for staying at this level means you'll almost certainly lose money as it's so small. I think you only get 1.8m for being in L1 compared to 6m for being in the Championship. Obviously costs can also go up if you want to compete in the Championship so whatever level you're at you have to manage your finances well, but it's probably easier trying to break even with a higher revenue than a lower one.

The new tv deal is also kicking in next season the rise in tv revenue for being in L1 is about a quarter compared to half in the Championship. That's not even mentioning the other increases in revenue you get for playing at a higher level. Also with our new model being dependent on selling players to try and balance the books, you'll likely be in a stronger position to set a higher asking price for players if you are in a higher league than a lower league.

If we went up immediately but had t pay out say 5m, it would probably still be financially better for the club than staying in L1 and paying him nothing.
Good post king and the lower money in L1 clearly works against the smaller clubs whilst the bigger fish who get bigger gates and revenue can build their squad more quickly. Without parachute payments at this level now it also makes it harder for relegated clubs to continue paying Championship wages to existing players so basically much is stacked against smaller teams at this level. You’d like to think that having a wealthy owner now would be an advantage but obviously he can only do so much without falling foul of legislation. This will be a transitional season and one to start building from again for future seasons.

Reading been put under another transfer embargo, they had their embargo lifted at the end of last week after paying the outstanding HMRC bill.

They signed a handful of players and another pay day came around and they failed to pay HMRC again and have been put immediately back under transfer embargo.

Absolute madness. Surely they've got to get a points deduction as they've been as bad as us under Talal and Al Jasmi for missing wages and dodging HMRC.
Apparently they still have a court case on 9th August, had they have paid the full HMRC a couple of weeks ago, to lift the embargo the court case would have been scrapped. So they obviously didn't pay it in full. Yet that was the stipulation for removing the embargo. So either the EFL really messed up and lifted it by accident, or Reading have tricked the EFL, which if so, should surely lead to a huge points deduction on top of what is already coming? If it was us the EFL would probably knock another 15 points off...

Staggering that the EFL allowed Reading to spend money on transfers, whereas we can't for 2 windows, when Readings list of charges was far greater than ours. Utter incompetence from the EFL, yet again.

Apparently they still have a court case on 9th August, had they have paid the full HMRC a couple of weeks ago, to lift the embargo the court case would have been scrapped. So they obviously didn't pay it in full. Yet that was the stipulation for removing the embargo. So either the EFL really messed up and lifted it by accident, or Reading have tricked the EFL, which if so, should surely lead to a huge points deduction on top of what is already coming? If it was us the EFL would probably knock another 15 points off...

Staggering that the EFL allowed Reading to spend money on transfers, whereas we can't for 2 windows, when Readings list of charges was far greater than ours. Utter incompetence from the EFL, yet again.
Seen stuff today, suggestions that Reading are about to be put under a 3 window transfer fee embargo and that 2 recently signed players (Charlie Savage and AN Other) haven't been officially registered with EFL, who have refused to do this, until HRMC have been paid