Summer Transfer Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

McManaman had a difficult few years and apparently never looked interested at Tranmere - I imagine he probably thought his career was over when he couldn't find a club after that.

When McManaman first came in to train Maloney said there was no intention to sign him. But not long after that he did another interview where he was full of praise for him and hinted he now wanted to give him a deal. So it sounds like McManaman has come back really motivated and clearly made a good impression to change Maloney's mind.

I imagine he wont get many starts and his role be an impact sub, coming on for last 20 minutes of games to run at tired defences which I think in L1 he could probably be quite good at. But if he's not he's probably on a low wage and only on a 1 year deal so it's low risk.

Doesn’t matter how much money he’s on he’s never been fit since he left us 10 years ago. Even as a youngster he had problems with fitness. If he doesn’t play it’s a complete waste of a wage. Signing players over over 30. Thought the days was over. Sorry Maloney that’s a job for one of the old boys. I also watched him at blackpool and he was the worse player on the pitch. So it now looks Jordan Jones will be on his way out. As we dont need 3 wingers. Or it could even be Lang.

Doesn’t matter how much money he’s on he’s never been fit since he left us 10 years ago. Even as a youngster he had problems with fitness. If he doesn’t play it’s a complete waste of a wage. Signing players over over 30. Thought the days was over. Sorry Maloney that’s a job for one of the old boys. I also watched him at blackpool and he was the worse player on the pitch. So it now looks Jordan Jones will be on his way out. As we dont need 3 wingers. Or it could even be Lang.
Thats weird. I watched him at Blackpool and apart from Adeeko I thought he was the best player on the pitch

The fact that Mcmanaman is now considered an aging player is making me feel ancient.

As for it making sense, it does not suit our ideal model at all, was hoping the focus will be on young technical players and following the data-driven approach as Brighton did. However it is very early days to lay down the foundations of our model and if he has done well in training to impress Maloney, I imagine he will be on very low wages. It's not a bad signing, all things considered.

I don't know what he's been like in training but he's done enough to change Maloney from saying he had no intention of signing him to giving him a deal. If it was jobs for the boys why didn't Maloney give him a deal in the first place or ever say he wasn't going to sign him?

Whether you agree or not Maloney clearly thinks he is worth having. So we'll see.

Can we have positivity and no negativity please.
Let's have faith in what the manager decides. With our fresh start please lets start looking optimistically to the future.......too many gloom and doom merchants on here.......have faith in Sean......he is building his team and he knows better than we do so BELIEVE if we are still allowed to use that word.

Can we have positivity and no negativity please.
Let's have faith in what the manager decides. With our fresh start please lets start looking optimistically to the future.......too many gloom and doom merchants on here.......have faith in Sean......he is building his team and he knows better than we do so BELIEVE if we are still allowed to use that word.
Who's Sean ?

You are spot on there.

Believe me when I say this, over 5-10 yards McManaman can beat anyone and tie them in knots. He doesn’t have the pace or fitness levels to be up and down the pitch all game but he could definitely contribute something that leads to a goal/assist. It may not work out again but he clearly cares for the club and has worked hard to earn his deal. Let’s give him a chance.

Mark Harris the striker who we were trying to sign from Cardiff on last deadline day has just left adter failing to agree a new deal.

I suspect Maloney may still be interested but it probably depends on what other offers he gets. As Stoke were rumoured to be interested last time too.

Whatever if your happy with giving contracts to old as been players that’s fine.
It’s just like Cook signing Gary Roberts and Noel Hunt. Clearly Maloney wants Macca to be part of the squad because of that experience. Macca knows what it takes to play at the top level and can hopefully advise and help the youngsters positively whilst still hopefully being able to hold his own when called upon.
That’s the hope anyway!!

It’s just like Cook signing Gary Roberts and Noel Hunt. Clearly Maloney wants Macca to be part of the squad because of that experience. Macca knows what it takes to play at the top level and can hopefully advise and help the youngsters positively whilst still hopefully being able to hold his own when called upon.
That’s the hope anyway!!
We had a bit more money then than we have now.