Summer Transfer Thread | Page 64 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

We're allowed 5 loans, Morrison and Balagizi are 2, it looks like Watts is going to be a third. So 2 more loans left. After that it will have to be free transfers if we want to add anyone else.

I imagine as we get closer to the window players under contract at other clubs who are surplus to requirements will be able to negotiate free transfers if another club wants them (like Stoke and McClean did when he came back) so new options will open up.
I think if the right deal came about we could use small fees aswell

The senior squad as it stands (not counting any of the young lads as we don't know who'll end up involved)

Keepers (2)
Tickle
Amos

Left backs (2)
McClean
Pearce

Right Backs (1)
Clare

Centre Backs (5)
Whatmough
Hughes
Morrison
Kerr (injured)
Watts (expected)

Centre Mids (3)
M Smith
Balagizi
McGrath

Attacking mids (5)
Lang
Aasgaard
McMannaman
J Smith
Jones

Strikers (3)
Humphreys
Wyke

Magennis (injured)

I think we definitely still need a def midfielder. I can see McGrath going and if he does that would be another centre mid and i think we'll need another striker as we can't bank on Wyke to be fit and Magennis is not up to much. After that is probably depends on how confident we are on the u21s stepping up to fill in any areas we are light. How the young lads do over the next few preseason games will probably influence that decision.

The senior squad as it stands (not counting any of the young lads as we don't know who'll end up involved)

Keepers (2)
Tickle
Amos

Left backs (2)
McClean
Pearce

Right Backs (1)
Clare

Centre Backs (5)
Whatmough
Hughes
Morrison
Kerr (injured)
Watts (expected)

Centre Mids (3)
M Smith
Balagizi
McGrath

Attacking mids (5)
Lang
Aasgaard
McMannaman
J Smith
Jones

Strikers (3)
Humphreys
Wyke

Magennis (injured)

I think we definitely still need a def midfielder. I can see McGrath going and if he does that would be another centre mid and i think we'll need another striker as we can't bank on Wyke to be fit and Magennis is not up to much. After that is probably depends on how confident we are on the u21s stepping up to fill in any areas we are light. How the young lads do over the next few preseason games will probably influence that decision.
I do believe KDZ that Magennis might actually thrive under the style of play Maloney adopts. And with the type of players he is bringing in to suit this style of play, hopefully our strikers (whomever they might be) will reap rewards from the service.

I do believe KDZ that Magennis might actually thrive under the style of play Maloney adopts. And with the type of players he is bringing in to suit this style of play, hopefully our strikers (whomever they might be) will reap rewards from the service.

I totally agree Runcorn, I think we have not seen the best of Magennis in a Tics shirt as he hasn't had the service to suit his style of play.

There is a reason he keeps being selected for the international side which I think is that he is a better player than we have seen for us.

I hope you are right and he does thrive in the new style of football that Maloney is promising.

I totally agree Runcorn, I think we have not seen the best of Magennis in a Tics shirt as he hasn't had the service to suit his style of play.

There is a reason he keeps being selected for the international side which I think is that he is a better player than we have seen for us.

I hope you are right and he does thrive in the new style of football that Maloney is promising.
Think if he had been fit he would have been gone.

The keeper was Haugaard from Stoke i think. We also had the issue of having to play Hanson from Derby and Connelly from Everton despite both being rubbish.

We nearly got Cameron Brannigan from Liverpool but that broke down over the clause. But we got plenty of other loan players seemingly without it.

I guess it's one of those where it's a case by case basis - do the club want such a clause and is the player worth it. It's always going to potentially be a risk, but sometimes it's a risk worth taking for the right young player. Hopefully if Balagizi has the clause we've done our homework and he's worth it.
Minimum game time is also in the mix with loan fees and the % of the player's wage to be paid by the club

I hope you're right but you've got a lot more confidence in him than me.

Even with better service i'm not convinced he'll do anything. If his goal scoring record was poor but he was a good target man like say Heskey I'd be fine with that, but he's useless as a target man and when chances do come his way he tends to miss them too. So I just don't think he's up to much.

On his day he does look a good player but his day is about once every 10 games if that and the rest of the time he gets so easily pushed off the ball and loses all the headers despite being massive.

He had that one good season at Hull and he's not really done much else over his career, so with him coming up to 33 and recovering from a bad injury I'm not expecting much. I'd love to be proven wrong but from what he's shown in a Wigan shirt he's not looked anywhere near good enough.

Morrison doesn't count as a loan as it's an international transfer. Effectively we've signed him on a free for a season due to the way foreign loans are registered via FIFA or UEFA

I tried to find more on this rule but couldn't find it, have you got a link to it?

Charlie Savage left off Man U pre season tour while a number of other young players go. So he's clearly going somewhere on loan imminently.

Rotherham, Cardiff and Portsmouth all apparently showing interest too.

Last edited:
True & I do get where you are coming from KDZ. But since he has been here, he has basically had the ball lumped to his head. In the few games I've seen him play since Maloney came in, he did seem to play that bit better.

Under Maloney he was very good against Stoke, he was like a prime Jason Roberts that day. But other than that one game I'm not sure he showed much more than he did under any other manager.

If he could play like he did against Stoke every week he'd be some player.

I tried to find more on this rule but couldn't find it, have you got a link to it?
57.1.2 Players signed on an International Loan must sign an employment contract with the Transferee Club in a form equivalent to the Standard Contract;

I think it's because of variations in employment law. To avoid players working in the UK having fewer rights than domestic players they are required to sign a contract with the club. Because they sign a contract with the club they can't be considered a loan player.

Although I note the rules do not appear to be as clear as they used to be. So that may have been a loophole that has since been closed.

57.1.2 Players signed on an International Loan must sign an employment contract with the Transferee Club in a form equivalent to the Standard Contract;

I think it's because of variations in employment law. To avoid players working in the UK having fewer rights than domestic players they are required to sign a contract with the club. Because they sign a contract with the club they can't be considered a loan player.

Although I note the rules do not appear to be as clear as they used to be. So that may have been a loophole that has since been closed.

I think it might be closed as when i was trying to find info I came accross an article about Sunderland in L1 having the issue of max of 5 loans and one was from Germany but wasàà counted towards the quota.

Last edited:
Well that’s good isn’t it?
Good for what?

He looked quite ok under Leam when he played up top with a strike partner for a few weeks in the promotion season.

I've mentioned about the squad size in the past and there has been conflicting info but i just saw this on the EFL rules page.

Seems the squad size is still in place but hasnt dropped to 20 players as was originally planned and is 22 outfield players over 21.

Loan players regardless of age count towards the quota. So at the moment i think we are at 20 if you include the likely arrival of Watts.
Screenshot_20230719_191332_Samsung Internet.jpg

This season will be very interesting as looking at the players that we have signed, they certainly all fit the profile of what Maloney wants us to play but they're all gambles. Jonny Smith and Sean Clare, for example, not really players many people rate very highly from their previous work in League One but they've always been described as having "potential". James is another one as he's only had 4 months of senior experience at Crawley before getting injured.

Of the remaining players we've signed I'm quite excited for Smith and Morrison. Surely they are good enough for this level.