Summer transfer thread | Page 81 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Broadhead confirmed to have signed a 12 month loan by Kendrick and the Sunderland Echo - set to be announced in the next 24 hours.

Have had a quick read of the Sunderland forum where there is a 146 page thread dedicated to the saga and it looks like he could be a really good signing for us. They all seem to rate him and I think he will offer us something different up top i.e. getting in behind, pacey, clinical finisher and can also do a job on the wing.

The only concern is injuries (he only managed 22 games all season for Sunderland last year). Fingers crossed he can put them behind him as Whatmough seems to have done. His contract at Everton is up next year so we may be able to get him on a free if he does well.

Hopefully a few more signings to come!

I really liked Broadhead last season, he really impressed against us in the Cabaro Cup where he scored and played a part in their other goal. Highlights below.

He's got good pace, excellent movement and considering he's not that big, he had decent strength and held the ball up well.

The only thing wrong with him is he's 24 but not got many senior games under his belt and he's had injury issues. But I think he's shown huge potential.

He really isn't the type of striker that we usually look at and doesn't fit into our current system - but I think that is a really good sign as we desperately need to evolve from what we currently do and hopefully he will force us to do that.

I just wish we could've signed him permanently as I think he will be recalled in January to be sold to someone else.

Loan is absolutely the right move. As I said earlier hamstrings made of cheese. Worst thing we could do is get saddled with another Jordan Cousins on a permanent.

He'll be absolutely desperate to do well with a place at the World Cup up for grabs which can only benefit us. We need to get him fit and keep him fit. Personally I'd go three at the back and play him in a two with Keane. Drop Magennis.

Loan is absolutely the right move. As I said earlier hamstrings made of cheese. Worst thing we could do is get saddled with another Jordan Cousins on a permanent.

He'll be absolutely desperate to do well with a place at the World Cup up for grabs which can only benefit us. We need to get him fit and keep him fit. Personally I'd go three at the back and play him in a two with Keane. Drop Magennis.

To include Broadhead I think we have to go to a 3-5-2, but I think this weekend we'll probably start him on bench and go with unchanged team from last week.

Movung forward i couldn't see us being willing to drop the target man though, so I'd imagine Broadhead would most likely play up front with Magennis / Wyke and Keane behind with Lang missing out or maybe even pushed to right wing back in some games.

Not so sure about Broadhead.
1 game from 5 because of his hamstring problems.
Also seems to suffer from mental health issues due to his injury jinx.

Not so sure about Broadhead.
1 game from 5 because of his hamstring problems.
Also seems to suffer from mental health issues due to his injury jinx.

When he's fit, he is very good. Trouble is that he's rarely fit and then "thinks" he is going to get injured again and is reluctant to go full pelt. Seems like Sunderland did want him but he didnt want to be that far from home. The loan signing of Ellis Sims who scored a brace on debut has also cooled their interest. It appears Sims is a huge step up from Broadhead in terms of fitness.

If he signs, hopefully it will be on loan due to injury record, although i'm amazed if Everton want to keep him - 6 years as a full time pro without having a sniff of first team is a long time to wait for someone to develop. I'd have thought they would just want him off their books and treatment table.

Egyptian media have suggested we are interested in triggering the £2.6m buyout clause of Egyptian winger Ahmed Sayed who has scored 16 goals in 27 games this season.

Similar to the Gad story, it’s clear our ownership see value in investing in players from the Middle East beyond just what the player can bring to the team. It looks like they see the investment almost as a marketing cost by heightening our brand awareness in the region. Of course neither of the transfers have been confirmed yet although it definitely appears there is interest from our side in signing someone from there.

This guy is an Egyptian international so would probably secure a work permit. Although the cash outlay is of mild concern, I think it would be hard not to get excited at the prospect of what he could bring to the team.

link:

Egyptian media have suggested we are interested in triggering the £2.6m buyout clause of Egyptian winger Ahmed Sayed who has scored 16 goals in 27 games this season.

Similar to the Gad story, it’s clear our ownership see value in investing in players from the Middle East beyond just what the player can bring to the team. It looks like they see the investment almost as a marketing cost by heightening our brand awareness in the region. Of course neither of the transfers have been confirmed yet although it definitely appears there is interest from our side in signing someone from there.

This guy is an Egyptian international so would probably secure a work permit. Although the cash outlay is of mild concern, I think it would be hard not to get excited at the prospect of what he could bring to the team.

link:
Good find

No permit issues with him considering he has played many times for Egypt, no idea on what type of player he is though, and if Leam would use him

No permit issues with him considering he has played many times for Egypt, no idea on what type of player he is though, and if Leam would use him
Fast winger scores too an upgrade on lang maybe, not a bad player zizo

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to a lad who does some work for me, he is also an Electrical Contractor for BBC Radio Merseyside, installations/breakdown stuff, he is not a football fan as such but interested in us as he knows a few fans.
He was told in the week, while doing some work at their studio at Goodison Park that we had tried to buy Nathan Broadhead from Everton, but they wanted to keep him and look like extending his contract, but they may let him go on loan instead, however whoever he talked to said there are a number of championship clubs after him on loan.

You heard it here first !!!

Glad broadhead has been confirmed, It is concerning that at 24 he's only played 40 senior game but for Everton to be so patient with him and still want to keep hold of him despite injury concerns he must really have something.
We need more to provide the kind of service he will need to show what he can do but a great start. Hope he gets a decent amount of minutes saturday off the bench I would imagine

Glad broadhead has been confirmed, It is concerning that at 24 he's only played 40 senior game but for Everton to be so patient with him and still want to keep hold of him despite injury concerns he must really have something.
We need more to provide the kind of service he will need to show what he can do but a great start. Hope he gets a decent amount of minutes saturday off the bench I would imagine
He's not someone expected to break into the first team at Everton (although for them that'd be a nice bonus) but he has enough value that Everton will be managing his contract in a way to demonstrate that he's maybe Championship quality and to eventually get a fee that is recognition of that... or if they were to drop down then he'd be someone in and around the squad on a very affordable wage.

He's a good signing for us, although quite similar to Humphrys. He can play across the front line so adds a few options.