Summer transfer thread | Page 77 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

See my reply to others. I sit in East and LR was in front of me, you of all people will remember away teams changing under the East. Already admitted being wrong about auto promotion but you only want to discuss now not after my original post, hindsight and all that is great isn't it. No need to introduce me to any functionality thanks, not interested.

Just to be clear, when you say "in front of me", you mean about 60 or 70 yards away at the other side of the field (not knowing in which row you sit). Not saying you didn't see what you say, just adding a little clarification.

If I was to have chased after you once automatic promotion was achieved to to ask to discuss it then, now that would have been odd - and rather sad - behaviour. Not really sure what you mean by the hindsight comment. You seemed fairly certain in where you thought we'd finish ... others were more optimistic. Hindsight doesn't come into it.

I mentioned the search functionality merely in response to your "trawling" allegation. That's all.

Twice you, you've said "you of all people" when referring to me ... it's made no real sense either time, but hey ho.

You're obviously aggrieved that some have challenged your recounting of events ... maybe if you'd have remembered in which stand you sit, you might have avoided the puzzled responses.

Just to be clear, when you say "in front of me", you mean about 60 or 70 yards away at the other side of the field (not knowing in which row you sit). Not saying you didn't see what you say, just adding a little clarification.

If I was to have chased after you once automatic promotion was achieved to to ask to discuss it then, now that would have been odd - and rather sad - behaviour. Not really sure what you mean by the hindsight comment. You seemed fairly certain in where you thought we'd finish ... others were more optimistic. Hindsight doesn't come into it.

I mentioned the search functionality merely in response to your "trawling" allegation. That's all.

Twice you, you've said "you of all people" when referring to me ... it's made no real sense either time, but hey ho.

You're obviously aggrieved that some have challenged your recounting of events ... maybe if you'd have remembered in which stand you sit, you might have avoided the puzzled responses.

Tony this is a good example of you getting stuck into a guy who wrote an account of something and you just wont let it go your like a dog with a bone. If the guy said he saw something leave it at that, it's no wander nobody new comes on here the way you hound people I'm sorry if you dont like it but it's a fact

Tony this is a good example of you getting stuck into a guy who wrote an account of something and you just wont let it go your like a dog with a bone. If the guy said he saw something leave it at that, it's no wander nobody new comes on here the way you hound people I'm sorry if you dont like it but it's a fact

So are you saying he should not challenge it when nobody else saw it, the sheer logistics of where it took place is completely unclear and he cannot clear up where or when it took place, it has even taken months to make anyone aware of his claims.

If you look at his past posts there is not one positive contribution, so why should anyone not call him out for a clearer explanation when it questions the integrity of someone many believe is beyond reproach because of his previous actions.

Don't you hound moonay over his posts or is that different to what he does.

How about Jamal Lowe

Left out of Bournmouth squad, almost certainly available to loan. Richardson would probably love him back (I think he'd like anyone at this point) but it's a case of if we would be willing to pay enough of a contribution to his wages. Based on summer so far I'm not convinced we could make that commitment.

So are you saying he should not challenge it when nobody else saw it, the sheer logistics of where it took place is completely unclear and he cannot clear up where or when it took place, it has even taken months to make anyone aware of his claims.

If you look at his past posts there is not one positive contribution, so why should anyone not call him out for a clearer explanation when it questions the integrity of someone many believe is beyond reproach because of his previous actions.

Don't you hound moonay over his posts or is that different to what he does.

No I'm sorry Damien but I dont see it is necessary to call people out.I really dont think the forum is a place to do that although others might disagree.
Granted the lads not been on here much but he may have been a silent observer for a long time and like others doesent post much because of the shit they get from people like Moonay.
Yes I give it hard on him when I feel he goes over the top and he gives it me back and that's fair enough but this board needs new blood most are of the Harry Lyon generation and new posters wont come on whilst they are getting the third degree for recalling something they saw ect.
In my view it's a forum to talk about the team the players transfers ect not to pull other posters to bits.

I was going to leave this and not respond (cos I didn't really see the worth in doing so) but ...... well, that wouldn't be me, would it ?!

"Stuck into"? All I did was try to clarify where he sits, given that his tale didn't really make sense. Exiled and LMB did the same ... and if I may say so, probably more pointedly.

Then, I responded to Axiom's (slightly touchy) response ... though admittedly, that might be due to my answer to his "please discuss" comment in his post from earlier in the season.

Some of the comments in your response above to LMB are just laughable, so I've responded to your original post instead. (y)

Last edited:
I think that is very reasonable but even clubs with very little budget who live within their means like Blackpool, Rotherham and teams under EFL FFP restrictions like Reading have recruited a few fair few players on frees and loans.

Our lack of activity at first I explained away as probably circumstances of the market but the longer it's gone it increasingly feels like it's something else as every other club has managed ok except us.

We've gone up a division so there is a significant increase in revenue and we've got about 6 less players on the wage bill than last season so there should in theory be room on the wage bill even if it's not increased from L1. I don't think anyone was expecting us to spend much on fees or offer huge wages but there were plenty of decent players you'd think we could've had and we just seemed to pass on them all. The ownership talked about ambition, the CEO said we'd been planning for the summer recruitment well in advance yet we have started the season with a weaker squad than last year. It doesn't seem to make much sense. But when you remember the missed wages and story of looking for investment we dismissed as sensationalist shit stiring - it makes me worry there may be more credabilty to it than we thought. I really hope I'm wrong but it doesn't feel right to me.

You may be right, but there is an alternative theory.
It was briefly highlighted at the time of the takeover but whilst the club escaped the 15 pnt deduction & other sanctions by paying (at least) 25p in the £ to non football creditors, there are always other conditions attached to a club by the EFL when coming out of administration.
One of these, and the one most applicable to Latics is that a club has to stick to the spending & funding plan that it submitted to the EFL as part of it's takeover bid - & this has certainly been mentioned by Brannigan on at least a couple of occasions
I think it was widely acknowledged that getting promoted last season was a bit ahead of schedule so maybe the 2nd year budget in the funding plan was always based on being in Lge1 & this is hampering our recruitment
If there was a genuine move for looking for more investment, maybe this was a way round the EFL's financial restrictions on us.
This is all theorising but I think it's a likely possible scenario

Even if it isn't, personally, if Latics owners are controlling the purse strings so that the club is running within its means then I'm completely in favour of it

No I'm sorry Damien but I dont see it is necessary to call people out.I really dont think the forum is a place to do that although others might disagree.
Granted the lads not been on here much but he may have been a silent observer for a long time and like others doesent post much because of the shit they get from people like Moonay.
Yes I give it hard on him when I feel he goes over the top and he gives it me back and that's fair enough but this board needs new blood most are of the Harry Lyon generation and new posters wont come on whilst they are getting the third degree for recalling something they saw ect.
In my view it's a forum to talk about the team the players transfers ect not to pull other posters to bits.
Spot on Zakky, leave it to the individual poster to decide whether another poster is posting drivel, or incorrectly. The problem is the couple of " know alls" can't resist pulling up each and everything they deem to be incorrect.
We know it's a forum, and they are by very nature for debating, but is there really a need for the "you said this, you said that" mentality.
Trawling through previous posts just to try and humiliate people, is at best petty, and at worst nasty. Hard to quantify how many have left the board due to this, but I'd wager there's quite a few.

Last edited:
Trawling through previous posts just to try and humiliate people, is at best petty, and at worst nasty. Hard to quantify how many have left the board due to this, but I'd wager there's quite a few.

Skipping over the rest of the post, just two points here - it seems you probably (and maybe understandably) don't read much of what I post, but as I said to Axiom, there's no need to "trawl through" anything. It's actually very simple. Also, I was simply responding to Axiom's invite ... albeit belatedly, though I did indirectly respond to him at the time, (along with all the other doom-mongers) in post 193, on page 10 in the same thread as Axiom's post. No need to trawl ... it's easy to find it.

Also, who do you think has left? Stormin Norman? Get a Grip? Craig? Bricklatic? That's probably one then. Seriously, name me one (serious) poster who you think I've driven away, and I'll stop posting on here. Same with regard to any personal insults ... find any from me, and I'll stop posting.

When we all post summat on here, don't we all think we're right in what we post? Of course we do. the whole point then is to have a discussion about it. If we don't, what's the bloody point in posting in the first place?

This forum at times ... just mind boggling :shake:

The point of a forum is for all to give their views on stuff , some right and some total bollocks. So, with that in mind all our opinions are valid, that includes moonay as well and if anyone is mortally offended by owt then I suggest these forums are not the best idea for you in the first place.

Personally if Axiom saw what he thought he saw then that's good enough for me but for others to question it is also within the bounds of acceptability.

You may be right, but there is an alternative theory.
It was briefly highlighted at the time of the takeover but whilst the club escaped the 15 pnt deduction & other sanctions by paying (at least) 25p in the £ to non football creditors, there are always other conditions attached to a club by the EFL when coming out of administration.
One of these, and the one most applicable to Latics is that a club has to stick to the spending & funding plan that it submitted to the EFL as part of it's takeover bid - & this has certainly been mentioned by Brannigan on at least a couple of occasions
I think it was widely acknowledged that getting promoted last season was a bit ahead of schedule so maybe the 2nd year budget in the funding plan was always based on being in Lge1 & this is hampering our recruitment
If there was a genuine move for looking for more investment, maybe this was a way round the EFL's financial restrictions on us.
This is all theorising but I think it's a likely possible scenario

Even if it isn't, personally, if Latics owners are controlling the purse strings so that the club is running within its means then I'm completely in favour of it

We know the EFL are understandably going to keep an eye on any team coming out of admin to make sure they aren't going crazy, but not to the point it would stop you signing anyone. We see this demonstrated by the fact Reading are under EFL restrictions and have signed a lot of experienced Championship players on frees and loans.

If we set a financial plan thinking we'd still be in L1 this year then it would obviously stop us spending big wages, but unless the plan was to spend nothing in the second year then it wouldn't stop us bringing in players on frees and loans on reasonable wages to at the very least replace those 5 ot 6 that left.

If the EFL rules were impacting our ability to signing anyone why wouldn't anyone within the club say as much when asked about recruitment?

Any spending plan would surely be based on income, so the fact we have gone up would surely have adjusted that a little?

I also think it would be strange that we would plan to be so ambitious in the first year paying the likes of McClean and Wyke big wages and then pull back so much in the second year. You'd imagine that there may be a bigger investment initially but there would still be some room to work with in the second year.

Every club has to cut their cloth accordingly with even the really financially poor teams at lower levels bring in players every year, we said we were planning for promotion in advance so if we hadn't been able to afford proven big name Champ players you'd think we'd have had the next best realistic targets lined up.

I think we are going to eventually get some players in in some capacity but the total lack of incomings by this stage, the strangely short initial 1 year deal for Nyambe, the pens tweet with no follow up for weeks, the stories of financial issues - it just doesn't seem quite right.

The point of a forum is for all to give their views on stuff , some right and some total bollocks. So, with that in mind all our opinions are valid, that includes moonay as well and if anyone is mortally offended by owt then I suggest these forums are not the best idea for you in the first place.

Personally if Axiom saw what he thought he saw then that's good enough for me but for others to question it is also within the bounds of acceptability.

There is no way anyone can prove one way or the other what an individual poster said they saw. So at this point everyone has said their bit - some may choose to believe and some not - each to their own. At the end of the day it doesn't really change anything about anything - so not really worth anyone arguing about it any more than they have.