Summer transfer thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

I'm not sure about paying £1.5m on a player with no English football experience, no work permit and playing in a position where we have a decent couple of options in Jones and Amos.
Feels silly playing the long game to see how he improves when there is a need to improve now.
If he does come in and becomes the next De Gea I will happily eat my words.

Lots of money will be made from international Latics tv match passes, keepers tend to be pretty popular considering there is less of them in that position. That may also be a reason. Having a owner and chairman from the middle-east, whom gets players from the middle-east, will increase our brand in the middle-east, where football is very popular, especially with the world cup later this year.

Last edited:
Some times these players work out sometimes not. Big gamble and a lot of money. Zakky was a prime example. Brilliant on his day but so unpredictable. Ask Steve Bruce

Last edited:
Lots of money will be made from international Latics tv match passes, keepers tend to be pretty popular considering their less of them in that position. That may also be a reason. Having a owner and chairman from the middle-east, whom gets players from the middle-east, will increase our brand in the middle-east, where football is very popular, especially with the world cup later this year.
All very true. But how many will keep interest if we don’t stay up and the Egyptian lad goes home? Also, if he’s not playing (out on loan) it doesn’t tempt Middle Eastern populations to buy tv passes.
Yes great for the brand, but for me the £1.5mil in a season where we have just been promoted is a bit silly.
As I said earlier, happy to be proven wrong. If it benefits the club then great, for me it just a case of when will it benefit the club. £1.5m could go some way to bringing in some more proven talent this season.

If you bothered to do any sort of research you'd know that work permit rules regarding footballers are far stricter in this country compared to other European countries.

He won't gain a work permit to play for us unless we have contacts in very high places as he does not meet the points requirements. He is uncapped for his country and plays in a band six league (the lowest band). Either he gets signed and loaned out to a club in a different league with a higher band which allows him to accumulate enough points across the coming season to gain a permit for next year, or the deal won't happen.

If you had any brains and could read you would have seen me doubting that we could sign him, I counter it is you that has not done any research, as usual.

He would have to play regularly for a Band 1 club comprising of teams from the top 5 leagues in Europe to achieve the goal of getting a work permit, plus being a regular full time international for Egypt, so I will repeat what I asked KDZ, tell us where he would go on loan when the countries on offer are Germany, Italy, France, Spain and he cannot come to the 5th Band 1 league, England.

I await your "researched" response with eager anticipation.

If you had any brains and could read you would have seen me doubting that we could sign him, I counter it is you that has not done any research, as usual.

He would have to play regularly for a Band 1 club comprising of teams from the top 5 leagues in Europe to achieve the goal of getting a work permit, plus being a regular full time international for Egypt, so I will repeat what I asked KDZ, tell us where he would go on loan when the countries on offer are Germany, Italy, France, Spain and he cannot come to the 5th Band 1 league, England.

Tell you what, let me get on the phone and ring up all the sporting directors at Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and La Liga clubs to check which ones are looking for a keeper.

Idiot.

If this lad is as good as we seem to believe to go to all of this trouble, maybe we think we can get one of the smaller sides from Italy, France, Germany, Spain to take him on loan. Failing that maybe someone from Portugal, Belgium or Turkey. But the issue would be if he didnt settle, got injured or had bad form he may still not end up playing enough to get a work permit.

It certainly looks like a big gamble on the face of it.

If this lad is as good as we seem to believe to go to all of this trouble, maybe we think we can get one of the smaller sides from Italy, France, Germany, Spain to take him on loan. Failing that maybe someone from Portugal, Belgium or Turkey. But the issue would be if he didnt settle, got injured or had bad form he may still not end up playing enough to get a work permit.

It certainly looks like a big gamble on the face of it.

Would it not be fair to say KDZ that we are actually smaller than 99% of the teams in those leagues and it would be highly unlikely - certainly unheard of that a club of our size has ever done what you suggest, if he is that good and that much of a bargain why is he only on our radar, there's only speculation over this, who has confirmed "we are going to all of this trouble".

However nothing I have seen over 50+ years of supporting this club takes away the utter amazement of things we have and continue to achieve and if this is a deal to be done, whatever the difficulties or gamble I would not bet against us.

Last edited:
If we do sign this keeper im still struggling to see the sense in it. We already have a decent lad in the nets and to me any spare money could be used getting a creative midfielder in.

Would it not be fair to say KDZ that we are actually smaller than 99% of the teams in those leagues and it would be highly unlikely - certainly unheard of that a club of our size has ever done what you suggest, if he is that good and that much of a bargain why is he only on our radar, there's only speculation over this, who has confirmed "we are going to all of this trouble".

However nothing I have seen over 50+ years of supporting this club takes away the utter amazement of things we have and continue to achieve and if this is a deal to be done, whatever the difficulties or gamble I would not bet against us.

I would agree with your thinking completely and was very skeptical when the initial rumours started appearing in the Egyptian press. But there are direct quotes from the President of Gad's club confirming Talal has been speaking with them and we are interested despite the work permit issues. I can't remember if the part about him going on loan to another European club was a direct quote from the President but it was also reported.

Without being Arabic speaking it's difficult to know how reliable the sources are but assuming they aren't completely fabricating quotes our interest is from the horses mouth.

Unless the club knows something we don't about a way to get a work permit it does seem like a very risky deal to sign him without one.

The one year deal is interesting but i have a theory on it.

Lets say worse comes to worse and we go down, Nyambe might still see himself as a Championship player and can then leave easily, flexibility for the player. If we get relegated and Nyambe is one of our highest earners we would need to trim the wage bill down dropping into League One and thus a one year deal means we could cut loose instantly from the financial burden. Thus flexibility for us as a club.

Plus look at the Jordan Jones scenario. Signed last summer on good wages, for a transfer fee and on a three year deal. Already into 2nd year of his 3 year deal we are loaning him out to Scottish Premiership clubs galore on loan to see if he can impress with a view to moving him and cost of his wages on. This scenario with Jones is obviously something we are looking to avoid happening with Nyambe. The one year deal means that if he flops with us whether we stay up or go down both parties could then move on and we wont be burdened with another Jordan Jones scenario.

This might explain why we have been slow in the summer market doing deals as im wondering if most we will offer players are two year deals and on two year deals a stipulation that in event of relegation, the player's salary drops by a certain amount.

A plausible reason maybe for just a one year deal for Nyambe? Either way, im delighted we have a new player through the door at last and he will get a pre season game this weekend to get a run out before PNE next weekend at home to open the season. Plenty of Championship experience behind him, ticks the boxes of an upgrade on the right side for Darikwa that we needed. Versatile as i imagine he can fill in at right centre back in a back three. Very happy with this news and Nyambe's arrival. Heres hoping we see another one or maybe two signings in before the PNE game!

Strange reading it it’s only a one year deal

it says 'initial 1 year deal' that seems to imply there is a built in extension option on the contract if we choose to exercise it.

I imagine we are offering him decent money with the thinking being we can extend it if goes well but if we go down we can let him go to reduce the wage bill and he'll be able to find another Championship club.