Summer transfer thread | Page 44 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Did he really lose his place though? I thought it was a bit strange the amount of limited game time in the second half of the season. My reading of it was that we may have had to pay Newcastle more money if he played a certain number of games. But who knows

I don't think you generally get appearance payments in loan deals as it disentivises the club to use the player when the aim of the loan is to get the player experience. As much experience as possible.

I think he just got dropped for Tilt.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wigan-keen-on-summer-newcastle-deal/

Looks like we are firmly interested in signing Watts again from Newcastle. That said im not liking the tone of that article which indicates Newcastle are only prepared to entertain loan offers for him at end of their pre season which is after our opening game against Preston. Personally id prefer to have another central defender in next week sometime so we can give them 2 or 3 pre season run outs in the friendlies.

Furthermore, im not convinced Watts on loan again from Newcastle is the best solution, he was good overall for us last season but as the campaign went on he did lose his place to Kerr and Tilt alongside Whatmough and appeared much less frequently around mid February till the end of the season. I think we can upgrade on him and id rather not waste a loan spot on him and him miss early season matches because Newcastle want to assess him before loaning him out.

For me we shouldn't bring in anyone who isn't better than what we already have and based on the fact Watts lost his place in the starting line up in L1, he isn't. He's fine for a squad player but we need to add quality to the starting 11.

Watts was not included in the team as much during the latter part of the season as he wasn't suited to the 3 at the back, which was the formation Leam began to play. He had to play the last couple of games in that position mind you c/o the injury to Tilt. I seem to remember Leam trying Bennett in that role as the LCB & that didn't work out.

It’s a bit strange we haven’t had A. Trialist playing in any of the games so far. Maybe it’s a new tactic to keep any potential signing under wraps so as not to alert other clubs

Mike Keegan says the club is seeking investment, although were not alone in that regard, maybe because now were in the championship, finding people to invest in ours may become more attractive.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ORTS-AGENDA-White-Rose-thorns-absolve-of.html

Now before the late technical issues surrounding wages, Mike was defo a sports journo who is respected, but Idk if singling us out is a way to scaremonger the fans in an attempt to cause unrest.

Mike Keegan says the club is seeking investment, although were not alone in that regard, maybe because now were in the championship, finding people to invest in ours may become more attractive.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ORTS-AGENDA-White-Rose-thorns-absolve-of.html

Now before the late technical issues surrounding wages, Mike was defo a sports journo who is respected, but Idk if singling us out is a way to scaremonger the fans in an attempt to cause unrest.
I just see this as more bullshit from the press

Seems to have abit of a bone to pick with Talal and Mal Brannigan this Mike Keegan.

We've just injected 4.7 million into the club, every club outside the premier league will be looking for investment. Another non story for me...

Seems to have abit of a bone to pick with Talal and Mal Brannigan this Mike Keegan.

We've just injected 4.7 million into the club, every club outside the premier league will be looking for investment. Another non story for me...
I think the title of the column says it all “Agenda”. This Keegan seems to have some sort of beef with us. If I was Mal I would be contacting his Editor about his childish comments

Hull have signed two players from abroad both from Fenerbahce, both are regular internationals for Turkey and Iran so meet the criteria for signing, they cost a combined total of £6.75 million plus add ons.

All the other signings Hull have made are from British clubs, including the Portuguese lad who signed from Forest.

That is not exactly "hardly spending anything"

Championship clubs are required to spend that kind of money to be competitive. If it's going to be free transfers and loans then it will be a very short stay in the league. A direct rival (relegation rival) have practically made themselves safe whilst we sit on our hands pretending we will only sign the 'right' players. That's boardroom talk for 'nobody wants to join for peanuts'

IF just IF the club are trying to do this season on the cheap without investment on the pitch then if I were Leam I would walk away as the club would be setting him up to fail.

IF just IF the club are trying to do this season on the cheap without investment on the pitch then if I were Leam I would walk away as the club would be setting him up to fail.
I suspect they've underestimated just how much money you need to sustain a Championship squad and for such little return and have been absolutely shocked by the reality. A good free agent costs £15k a week in wages, we simply cannot afford to pay that on our crowds if we want to be a sustainable club at this level which is what they bang on about us being.

Our only chance of sustaining ourselves is selling players for 10 million plus and building a squad off the back of that money. This is what Luton have done.

Championship clubs are required to spend that kind of money to be competitive. If it's going to be free transfers and loans then it will be a very short stay in the league. A direct rival (relegation rival) have practically made themselves safe whilst we sit on our hands pretending we will only sign the 'right' players. That's boardroom talk for 'nobody wants to join for peanuts'

Sounds like the old Tesco vs Harrods comment from years ago. That being said, Luton are a good example of not spending much whilst sustaining their championship status.

Did the EFL require any buyer to prove that they had funding for 3 years / seasons ?
That should cover the basic funding.
I am not sure what the schedule of re payments for the Premier League loans (and the others) are. Not been keeping up with those things for a while.
I wonder of the reputed 'Billy Beane' group of investors were interested again now that Wigan are back in the Championship ?

Whether peeps believe the articles in the Mail or not .... players will want guarantees that their wages will be paid. If they have a choice they will probably pass. Those that have no choice would probably take the risk.

Plenty of paper million/billion aires have had their pants pulled down investing in crypto currencies (Ponzi schemes). Their 'fortunes' have collapsed......................

Last edited:

Under Rosler we were one of the favourites to win the league after missing out in the play offs the year before spent a fortune on new players and ended up relegated.

Blackpool were favourites to go down but stayed up comfortably last season with a squad worse than we have now without spending much.

You never know in football.

He admits himself that every club in the league is looking to boost investment and speculates that 2 things relate to each other without actually having any evidence that they are.

As JLatic mentioned a few posts up, the ownership put 5m in about a week ago. On top of that the chairman has said that there will be 5 signings, we just spent a lot of money going on an overseas training camp and paying for the lads to go to Vegas on holiday. It doesn't look like we have financial trouble. That 5m and the tv money probably covers the costs for the season at least.

Maybe the 5 pens last week means 5 signings and our business is done.

I think that's exactly what it is. 5 spaces on the wage bill / spaces in the squad to be filled before the window shuts.

I think it's great to build anticipation but i think we need to manage expectations too. If you get people excited with 5 pens tweet some folks are going to take that very literally and think tomorrow you will have 5 new faces announced. I know he probably never meant people to think it was going to be 5 new signings announced tomorrow, but it's easy to see how people could think that is what he meant. And if you don't deliver on what people think you teased then you can generate needless disappointment.

I like Talal's pens but i think it would be better to tweet his pens when the player is ready to be unveiled imminently, so he can say put his pen emoji and a time / date it is due to be announced to build even more anticipation and avoid any fans getting carried away or frustrated.