Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 169 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Just went on the Portsmouth website to see what they were saying about Lowe. So much anger and bitterness in the comments. I swear when we sell a player to another club (even if it's one of our best players) we don't go on and on about how terrible that club is compared to ours, and how the player's made a awful mistake. Writing about how they're a bigger club, and slagging off the area, were the main features in the comments. I don't live in Wigan or that area myself, but when I've been it seems fine to me. Regardless, who are they to criticise other locations in the country? Wasn't Portsmouth voted as one of the least safe cities to live in the country last year?

I also just hate this attitude of superiority that the so-called 'big clubs' have over clubs like ours. It's astonishing really... they genuinely think that they're a much more attractive club to players than teams like us, despite the fact that the last time they were playing in a division higher than us was in 2004.

I really hope they don't go up next season.

From everything i've seen and heard from the Pompey lot as a group they aren't the most pleasant fans. Many of them seem to have a HUGE sense of self entitlement and delusions of grandeur - some couldn't get their head round why Jamal Lowe or any player would leave them for more money and a higher level of football as Pompey is such a massive club and won trophies pre war, the town is the home of the navy and other strange reasons no modern player would care about when given the option to further their career and triple their salary.

I wont be shedding any tears if they don't come up.

Just went on the Portsmouth website to see what they were saying about Lowe. So much anger and bitterness in the comments. I swear when we sell a player to another club (even if it's one of our best players) we don't go on and on about how terrible that club is compared to ours, and how the player's made a awful mistake. Writing about how they're a bigger club, and slagging off the area, were the main features in the comments. I don't live in Wigan or that area myself, but when I've been it seems fine to me. Regardless, who are they to criticise other locations in the country? Wasn't Portsmouth voted as one of the least safe cities to live in the country last year?

I also just hate this attitude of superiority that the so-called 'big clubs' have over clubs like ours. It's astonishing really... they genuinely think that they're a much more attractive club to players than teams like us, despite the fact that the last time they were playing in a division higher than us was in 2004.

I really hope they don't go up next season.

This appears to be a universal human trait that we're all capable of. It's unfortunate that some people don't know how to comport themselves in a decent manner. I used to be frustrated when mockery and derision was directed at our club but over time I care less and less. We can't change the perception of others and we shouldn't want to either. The instinct to demean and bully others is intrinsic to human nature - their fans can't contend with the fact that we're simply a better team than them and have been managed far better as a club for many years, so all they can do is resort to mockery. They hate the fact that a "small" club like ours can attract one of their prized assets.

The facts are clear: we're a much more attractive proposition than Portsmouth, as evidenced by the fact that a key member of their squad wants to join us. Admittedly they may have a larger fan base and be a bigger club, but this evidently counts for little.

There are decent Portsmouth fans but there does seem to be an air of superiority about them as a whole (but these are just my own observations and may be incorrect).

As for Portsmouth being a better area than Wigan, I don't know if this true or not, as I have never lived in Portsmouth, but I imagine it is no different - there will be good and bad areas in both.

It's interesting that some of their fans seem to think that we'll probably be relegated next year. I highly doubt that they've seen us play regularly and I think they may be in for a shock next year (at least I hope so).

I've seen a few comments about the need to find a replacement for Powell, but thought we'd been after another Chelsea graduate in Connor Gallagher. Another academy player of the season like Reece was, and his YouTube clips suggest he's quite a creative player. Maybe we've already got him lined up...

From everything i've seen and heard from the Pompey lot as a group they aren't the most pleasant fans. Many of them seem to have a HUGE sense of self entitlement and delusions of grandeur - some couldn't get their head round why Jamal Lowe or any player would leave them for more money and a higher level of football as Pompey is such a massive club and won trophies pre war, the town is the home of the navy and other strange reasons no modern player would care about when given the option to further their career and triple their salary.

Can't stand the club!

We've took their best player and their best defender has gone to the prem so I can't see promotion.

As for Portsmouth being a better area than Wigan, I don't know if this true or not, as I have never lived in Portsmouth, but I imagine it is no different - there will be good and bad areas in both.

II've been there a fair bit over the last few years and can confirm that the place is an absolute turd hole. Southsea is alright in a touristy way but the majority of the rest of it is a dump
Regardless of that though a footballer looking to progress his career will want more money and a higher level of football - Latics offer both so the move is a no brainer. I can't see why a lot of them seem so baffled by that fact

My footballing philosophy is similar to that of Johan Cruyff - you simply cannot run quicker than the ball. He taught Pep Guardiola all he knows and Cruyff himself learned from one the greatest coaches of all time, the visionary Rinus Michels.

That being said, we have pace to burn in this squad now with the arrivals of Williams, Sterling and Lowe, added to Massey, Byrne and Windass. It isn't the be all and end all - we've had pace before - history's been kind to Gary Teale for us, sometimes he was God awful and quite often ran a ball out of play inexplicably. However when Massey especially was injured, we looked pedestrian. Quick players running off the ball and using Garner as a central pivot point up top could see us really shocking a few teams. We may sit our central midfield a bit deeper to accommodate wide players bombing on, Robinson and Sterling, Lowe and Massey, for example.

Another club similar to Bolton who ripped off the local and national economies to their advantage and didn't pay it back by going into admin. Horrible lot. Fancy them calling us a small club with hardly any fans. We've never heard that before have we?

I think selling Lopes could be the best thing for everyone. He did ok against Burnley but every time I’ve seen him he just doesn’t look up to it. I really doubt he’ll be anywhere near the first team any time soon.

As for replacing Powell, I don’t think we can. He’s a unique talent and there aren’t other players like him. That being said, towards the end of last season the team played better without him, Lee Evans did well playing further forward. I think we should use the strengths of the players we currently have and play a high pressing game, especially at home. In some of the away games, I can see us sitting off more and looking to hit teams on the break.

I always think that when clubs outside of Prem talk about size of club it's weasel words and excuses to make once succesful clubs feel better about their decline.

The reality is the higher level dictates the money for attracting players and spending power so that dictates more than anything who the better clubs are. Until Bournemouth or Watford get relegated or Leeds and Forest get promoted Bournemouth are effectively the bigger club in every way that actually matters - the size of ground, average attendance and trophies you won before your parents were born mean nothing compared to the financial rewards that come with being in a league above.

My footballing philosophy is similar to that of Johan Cruyff - you simply cannot run quicker than the ball. He taught Pep Guardiola all he knows and Cruyff himself learned from one the greatest coaches of all time, the visionary Rinus Michels.

That being said, we have pace to burn in this squad now with the arrivals of Williams, Sterling and Lowe, added to Massey, Byrne and Windass. It isn't the be all and end all - we've had pace before - history's been kind to Gary Teale for us, sometimes he was God awful and quite often ran a ball out of play inexplicably. However when Massey especially was injured, we looked pedestrian. Quick players running off the ball and using Garner as a central pivot point up top could see us really shocking a few teams. We may sit our central midfield a bit deeper to accommodate wide players bombing on, Robinson and Sterling, Lowe and Massey, for example.

Cooks a big Liverpool fan so perhaps he’s taking on their philosophy of energy in midfield and pace coming from front 3 and full backs...
One can dream anyway

Whenever I’ve been to Portsmouth for football and non football reasons I’ve always had a pleasant time. There are far worse places in this country.

Their fans reactions is similar to some of ours whenever a player leaves. When Grigg departed in January for example he suddenly turned from hero to shite in the eyes of some - mainly from the clappers i hasten to add, who were trying to support the clubs decision. When Powell left it was similar, despite his obvious quality and value to us. He was then an injury prone crock and not worthy, yet when we then signed an injury prone crock this was overlooked and the decision couldn’t be questioned. The point is some fans, whatever the club, are unable to see the bigger picture and rationalise such things.

I think that a combindation of a new target man and Lowe is kind of the replacement for Powell.

Powell was often not far off playing as a second striker in a 4-4-2 charged with winning the headers and holding the ball due to being the better in the air and stronger of our forward players - i think the idea will be to transfer that to a striker purpose built to do that.

Then with the striker acting as the foil the idea would be to bring the attacking midfield higher up the pitch to feed off the lay offs / knock downs, etc. Between Windass, Jacobs, Lowe, Massey, Pilkington, Naismith, Geldheart, Lang and even Evans, Macleod and Morsy we've got a number of players who can play accross the front 3 and it gives us a lot of options.

Last season the lack of a target man so often when Powell wasn't fit or performing meant we couldn't get much out of the attacking mid who between them can barely win a header or win the physical battle needed to allow you to play your game. If we can get in a big monster in the mould of a Moore then i feel it will unlock a lot of new options and get more out of the attacking mids we have.

There was a couple of games were Windass wasn't far off playing up front in a 4-4-2 and in those games when his partner was winning everything in the air for him to run onto he looked a very good player. In the games where he was deeper or wide and having to try and battle for the ball himself he looked poor.

When Massey moved more central and closer to Clarke (when Leon started putting a shift in the final few games) he was utterly devestating compared to what he'd previously done on the wing (which was good in itself).

Lowe can play in the no.10 role and a number of our other attacking mids would probably fancy themselves to be more effective playing off a target man doing the grafting and battling for them.

I think it all hinges on getting an effective target man - if we can do that i think we may have the talent already in the squad to fill Powells place in the team. I think our system didn't work properly for much of last season due to missing a reliable target man but Powell stepped in to do some of that - i think the idea is to get the correct fits in terms of personnel and make the system work properly this year.

Whenever I’ve been to Portsmouth for football and non football reasons I’ve always had a pleasant time. There are far worse places in this country.

Their fans reactions is similar to some of ours whenever a player leaves. When Grigg departed in January for example he suddenly turned from hero to shite in the eyes of some - mainly from the clappers i hasten to add, who were trying to support the clubs decision. When Powell left it was similar, despite his obvious quality and value to us. He was then an injury prone crock and not worthy, yet when we then signed an injury prone crock this was overlooked and the decision couldn’t be questioned. The point is some fans, whatever the club, are unable to see the bigger picture and rationalise such things.

To be fair as grateful as we were for the years of service from Grigg, he had unfortunately failed at Championship level - he just wasn't quite good enough and we royally mugged Sunderland for probably double or triple what he is worth, i dont think anyone turned on him in a nasty way they just said it as it was. The clubs decision to cash in was genuinely the right one we'd never have got that offer ever again and when you look at what we have spent that 4m this window it has been justified. The argument wasn't if Grigg would've kept us up with his quality - he didn't have it - it was had we left ourselves too short with no alternative.

Powell was always a mixed bag, on his day unplayable but his day wasn't actually very often and over his 3 years here he had more games being annoymous than man of the match. He was absolutely a big player who made important game winning contributions but no one is wrong pointing out that he was unrealiable in terms of consistency and fitness. I dont think many folks would've wanted him to leave if he was willing to stay but he wasn't a Reece James type leader of men, mr consistency who was able to carry everyone on his back and drag us over the line either. I would say Powell was more of a wildcard than talisman, a flawed genius and i don't think people saying so was unfair and there is a genuine debate can a team like ours who are based on battle and grafting accomidate somone like Powell when he was so erratic in his performances, fitness and form.

I think when the player is the best you have and in first 11 you make the best of it but once they are gone you are probably more honest about their flaws.

The thing with the Pompey lot being bitter about how Lowe left is understandable we've been there. But what is unique to Pompey is that many of their fans don't seem to think more money and a higher level of football is or should be a more attractive prospect than playing at Fratton Park for them. For all of the times we've been upset at how a player left us it seems all Latics fans understand that if a player is offered the step up in comeptition and finances they will want to take them and we don't begrude them that - just the way they conduct themselves on the way out the door. But the Pompey lot seem to think their club is so unbelievably amazing that players should turn down the chance to better their careers.

MIW "The point is some fans, whatever the club, are unable to see the bigger picture and rationalise such things."

wind up of the week surely

of all the people on this forum to state this lol

Incessant or what?
I get the impression you think you are the only one who can see the bigger picture. Your image is far too misrerable and depressing to be true though.
Your world is a bleak one indeed.

Marquis at that level is certainly not a donkey - last season he scored more goals than Grigg did in our last League 1 campaign and went for half the price. He'll almost certainly get goals for Pompey and likely match or surpass the 15 or so they will lose from Lowe. From their perspective selling an unsettled Lowe and getting in Harness and Marquis is excellent business and increases their chances of promotion.

He certainly didn't have his best games against us but he clearly did alright in many of the other games to bag 41 goals over the last 2 seasons.
He’ll only score goals if you hoof it at him.
Don’t expect him to display any genuine football ability. You’ll be disappointed.
Better at Portsmouth than Wigan, thank god.