Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 102 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Other clubs apparently in for Hugill and Lowe as well as us. We seem to bid first and then it makes other clubs firm up their interest. I bet there’ll be a lot of movement in the next couple of weeks. We’re probably going to have to wait to see which players are left available if the fees/wages involved for some of our first choice targets don’t come down.

Other clubs apparently in for Hugill and Lowe as well as us. We seem to bid first and then it makes other clubs firm up their interest. I bet there’ll be a lot of movement in the next couple of weeks. We’re probably going to have to wait to see which players are left available if the fees/wages involved for some of our first choice targets don’t come down.
The frustrating thing for me is Lowe wants to join us. That’s rare for a player really considering our status in this league. He wants to play for the club and the manager to the point where he’s refused to play any friendlies at Pompey in case of injury. It will make it a bitter pill to swallow should he go elsewhere.

Gut feeling is we’ve probably signed Hugill instead of rather than alongside Lowe. I just can’t see us spending 7 million quid on two players... new owners or not. Would like to be wrong though...

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think Hugill would be a bad buy, though his wages could be problematic. Though hopefully they will be negotiated down before signing.

My only memories of him was that he was a bit of a battering ram of a forward. My only concern would be how he was asked to play, and would it mean we would be more long ball.

3.6 million plus wages is quite an investment, and part of me would rather we try to get a loan striker in - than spend that much on a potential flop

Just seen on Sky Sports transfer centre that Ethan Ampadu has not gone on tour as Frank is thinking of sending him out on loan. Highly rated, and I think plays centre defence & defensive midfield. Talk of Villa being after him, but after our support of Reece it might be worth an ask...

Where have you heard that I've not seen anything about anyone jumping in from a credible source.

Given the numbers involved in the Hugill deal I can understand the complexity in getting this one home. However in regards Lowe we seem to have reached an impasse and it’s becoming protracted. The danger is another club will meet the asking price and he’ll go elsewhere. Whilst I dont like paying over the odds, if he is someone that’s seen as integral to the summer recruitment then if we are quibbling over say half a million then it maybe an occasion when we should just bite the bullet and get the deal done.

Jamal Lowe left out of Pompey friendly again tonight. Come on Latics don't mess about and get it done.

Boro, West Brom, Derby and a few other big clubs haven't strengthen and could panic and put a bid in to blow us out of the water on wages.

Where have you heard that I've not seen anything about anyone jumping in from a credible source.
A few clubs have been linked with both players. If we can afford them then so can nearly every other club in our league and most of them can offer higher wages. Difficult deals to do given that Hugill wants a big wage and Pompey want as much as they can get for Lowe.

Jamal lowe leaving a average league one team who is on a par with Torquay will i imagine enjoy the step up to a better and higher standard of football than is on offer at the moment dawn sowf

Looks like things are shaping up nicely after the slow start. Personally, I'd prefer Lowe to Hugill as I think he has more potential and obviously is younger, but obviously the flip side of that is the fact that Hugill has done well in the Championship before with PNE whereas Lowe is an unknown quantity at this level. I do think it's worth taking the risk though, but I'd be happy with either of them.

On a side note, anyone else love this time of year? It's always exciting to hear about new signings, and there's a fresh start to the new season.

Looks like things are shaping up nicely after the slow start. Personally, I'd prefer Lowe to Hugill as I think he has more potential and obviously is younger, but obviously the flip side of that is the fact that Hugill has done well in the Championship before with PNE whereas Lowe is an unknown quantity at this level. I do think it's worth taking the risk though, but I'd be happy with either of them.

On a side note, anyone else love this time of year? It's always exciting to hear about new signings, and there's a fresh start to the new season.

I think the plan it get both. If not them 2 we still need a target man and a creative goal scoring midfielder.

I think the plan it get both. If not them 2 we still need a target man and a creative goal scoring midfielder.

Yeah man, hopefully we get both but if it's one or the other I'd choose Lowe. Say hypothetically we get Lowe but not Hugill. What would you think about Windass replacing Powell as the creative goal scoring midfielder, Garner being the target man and Lowe scoring the majority of the goals? Do you think that could work?

Yeah man, hopefully we get both but if it's one or the other I'd choose Lowe. Say hypothetically we get Lowe but not Hugill. What would you think about Windass replacing Powell as the creative goal scoring midfielder, Garner being the target man and Lowe scoring the majority of the goals? Do you think that could work?
Well Windass failed miserably at that last season when we tried him there. We need to replace Powell and James with players equal or better to them to even finish where we did ladt seadon.

season.

Garner not big enough to reliably lead line for me. I don't mind Garner at all he's a battler and gives centre halves hell but he doesn't win those duals enough for me.

I want Lowe desperetly but if we get him we will still need that elusive target man be it Hugill or anyone else.

If we get a beast up front to win the physical battle to allow the soft flair to play - i would fancy Windass to do well. Windass is as lightweight as they come but he's got excellent pace, movement and is direct. If we can have a reliable target man to effectivly protect Windass and do the dirty and rough stuff Josh cant I think we can give him the time and space he needs to play to his strengths. If we don't get one of them I fear Windass will struggle again as he's just not got the battle in him. I see Windass as a bit like Michael Owen needed Heskey at Liverpool to be his foil that allowed him to do what he is best at and avoid the stuff he was bad at.

Last edited:
Well Windass failed miserably at that last season when we tried him there. We need to replace Powell and James with players equal or better to them to even finish where we did ladt seadon.

season.

Where do you think we will get someone equal or better than Reece James ?

Nelson Olivera released by Norwich on a free and signed for a Greek side AEK. Think we missed a massive trick there with the big money we are throwing at Hugill and Gallagher deals surely we could've got Olivera in. Always been a big fan of his.

At least he's not going to a rival club in this league but I'm gutted we seemingly didn't show any interest in that. I'd have taken him over any of the other striker options we've been looking at and on a free you can't go wrong.

Where do you think we will get someone equal or better than Reece James ?
I dont think we could so in that case we must improve all over the field to progress from last seasons nightmare. Can a one season wonder at Knob End and another Pompey mon help us do that? We shall have to hope so but we need to get a move on our prep and gelling together time is over halfway through now and the season is looming.

Nelson Olivera released by Norwich on a free and signed for a Greek side AEK. Think we missed a massive trick there with the big money we are throwing at Hugill and Gallagher deals surely we could've got Olivera in. Always been a big fan of his.

At least he's not going to a rival club in this league but I'm gutted we seemingly didn't show any interest in that. I'd have taken him over any of the other striker options we've been looking at and on a free you can't go wrong.
Gutted

He is reported to be on £20k-£30k a week which will go some way to explaining why Latics have appeared to show no interest in him

Just seen on Sky Sports transfer centre that Ethan Ampadu has not gone on tour as Frank is thinking of sending him out on loan. Highly rated, and I think plays centre defence & defensive midfield. Talk of Villa being after him, but after our support of Reece it might be worth an ask...
We were heavily linked with Matt Miazga earlier this year. He'll be back at Chelsea after the Gold Cup soon so could be an option in defence on loan.