Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 103 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Looks like everyone's favourite person is due for another spell at Her Majesty's pleasure

Fleetwood Town manager Joey Barton has been charged with causing actual bodily harm following a post-match incident in the tunnel at Barnsley on 13 April.

Looks like everyone's favourite person is due for another spell at Her Majesty's pleasure

Fleetwood Town manager Joey Barton has been charged with causing actual bodily harm following a post-match incident in the tunnel at Barnsley on 13 April.

He always was a class act.

Remember when he put a cigar out on a youth players eye?
...Didn't his brother murder somebody?

Just seen Pompey have an option to extend Lowes contract for an additional year so he's effectively there for 2 years and the L1 transfer window shuts 3 weeks after ours does - so they aren't under any threat of needing to source a replacement like they would be if the windows shut at the same time and dont need to worry about losing him on cheap / for nothing if the window shuts and he is still there.

Due to these factors Pompey can play hard ball and their chairman has said that is exactly what they plan on doing. They desperetly don't want to lose him as he is possibly the difference between promotion and not so i think we are going to have to pay the 3m one way or another so i wish we'd just bite the bullet get it done. We were stretching on Gallagher and Hugill financially and i think Lowe is the better better of the 3 and the cheapest in terms of fee and wages so i think we are being a bit silly dragging out the inevitable and opening the back door to rival bidders.

Could do with Lowe handing in a transfer request to push it over the line but we all know players love to say they want to go but hate doing that as they lose money from it if the move goes through.

Perhaps we're waiting to see how much the Hugill deal will cost us before we commit to Portsmouths asking price.
Their local press seem to think the Lowe deal will be concluded before the end of this week. So maybe things are further than we think.

Can someone explain to me the financial fair play rules with regards to transfers and wages please?!? If we got all these we would be spending 9m overall. How much are we allowed to spend?

With Gallagher on 30k and Hugil on 35k plus fees involved in both Olivera on a free wouldn't have been out of scope.

Neither of them would have got remotely that at Latics. According to some of the Reading papers the £35k is what he was on at Norwich (after a pay rise) & pretty much what he's wanting (& getting) from AEK

Can someone explain to me the financial fair play rules with regards to transfers and wages please?!? If we got all these we would be spending 9m overall. How much are we allowed to spend?

My understanding is it's a 3 year rolling period where you can only lose something like 39m NET before sanctions kick in.

What a lot of clubs do is go crazy in the first 2 years and then at the end of the last year try and sell a player or 2 for big money to bring them back within the boundry of loss for that period.

For example imagine if we went absolutely mental in the market and lost 60m over the next 2 season and went up the Prem - the tv money profit in the 3rd year would cover up the previous 2 years loses. If we failed to go up if we could managed to sell 21m pounds worth of players to get us back under the 39m loses the previous years over spending wouldn't inflict a penalty. Obviously with it being a rolling period it is a constant juggling act to esnure you don't cross the threshhold.

What Derby and Sheff Wed have done to avoid the massive FPP sanctions they incurred is sell their ground to their owners other companies massively inflated prices to cover the losses.

For us the threat only becomes an issue if we start to lose more than 13m a season in operating costs and then fail to sell anyone to offset that.

My understanding is it's a 3 year rolling period where you can only lose something like 39m NET before sanctions kick in.

What a lot of clubs do is go crazy in the first 2 years and then at the end of the last year try and sell a player or 2 for big money to bring them back within the boundry of loss for that period.

For example imagine if we went absolutely mental in the market and lost 60m over the next 2 season and went up the Prem - the tv money profit in the 3rd year would cover up the previous 2 years loses. If we failed to go up if we could managed to sell 21m pounds worth of players to get us back under the 39m loses the previous years over spending wouldn't inflict a penalty. Obviously with it being a rolling period it is a constant juggling act to esnure you don't cross the threshhold.

What Derby and Sheff Wed have done to avoid the massive FPP sanctions they incurred is sell their ground to their owners other companies massively inflated prices to cover the losses.

For us the threat only becomes an issue if we start to lose more than 13m a season in operating costs and then fail to sell anyone to offset that.

Or we can always do a Sheff Wednesday and sell the ground to another business within the IEC group !!!

Cardiff about to seel Zahore to West Brom for 8m, if they are coming into some extra money then i get nervous about them slapping in a bid for Lowe as they've been previously linked.

I hate this waiting game. I wouldn't even mind if the negotiations were being done behind the scenes and no one knew we were in talks, but as soon as it's in the public like it is it's a nightmare waiting to get gazumped.

The whole transfer system is a joke and the wages which are Premier League lead are both diabolical and immoral. I detest Bolton and everything wrong they have done by trying to keep up with the Jones's but how are they realistically to work within a system that just runs up debts or has fairy Godmothers looking after clubs. To work fair and squarely again they would have to lose most of their staff and pay newcomers to their club non league wages or they'll be back in the courts again within two years.
Looking at our club too, and it's all right saying we should sign and pay players this and that is ok till the paymaster pulls the plug. I think now I would prefer these lot to say we haven't the money to realistically take us forward and we make do with who we have and pick up some frees and loan players and just get on with it. Even if we did get relegated. I would prefer us like we have been traditionally a lower league club upsetting the apple cart and looking for cup runs and having to sell players than live in some pretence.
Just up to the owners but let's hope they are not gambling with our club.

I wouldn't say the new owners are gambling with Latics future.
The money we are supposed to be spending is from the Grigg and Burn sales. Also money from any add ons from previous sales.
I would think whatever wages we are offering is in our range and is likely similar to what we offered Powell.

Cardiff about to seel Zahore to West Brom for 8m, if they are coming into some extra money then i get nervous about them slapping in a bid for Lowe as they've been previously linked.

I hate this waiting game. I wouldn't even mind if the negotiations were being done behind the scenes and no one knew we were in talks, but as soon as it's in the public like it is it's a nightmare waiting to get gazumped.

On the other hand West Brom were linked with Hugill earlier. So one potential rival is out of the way for him.
Nob End have just announced they've signed David Nugent. Another rival for Hugill out of the way. Looks like we could pull it off.

Garner not big enough to reliably lead line for me. I don't mind Garner at all he's a battler and gives centre halves hell but he doesn't win those duals enough for me.

I want Lowe desperetly but if we get him we will still need that elusive target man be it Hugill or anyone else.

If we get a beast up front to win the physical battle to allow the soft flair to play - i would fancy Windass to do well. Windass is as lightweight as they come but he's got excellent pace, movement and is direct. If we can have a reliable target man to effectivly protect Windass and do the dirty and rough stuff Josh cant I think we can give him the time and space he needs to play to his strengths. If we don't get one of them I fear Windass will struggle again as he's just not got the battle in him. I see Windass as a bit like Michael Owen needed Heskey at Liverpool to be his foil that allowed him to do what he is best at and avoid the stuff he was bad at.

Yeah that's true I guess. I was just thinking worst case scenario if we don't bring in someone like Hugill then Garner could be adequate at that role, but I know what you mean about him not being strong enough in the air. I'm surprised we haven't looked at Atdhe Nuhiu from Wednesday or Kieffer Moore from Barnsley as they could maybe play the role of the target man. Another option that I haven't seen mentioned is John Marquis from Doncaster - 6ft 1, good in the air, and scores goals as well. Also, Sam Gallagher has just passed a medical with Blackburn, meaning that Danny Graham could find himself out of favour. I think we should go for him if possible because he has all the attributes to be a good target man and formed a really good partnership with Dack last season. If he can form a similar partnership with Windass then he could be a really valuable addition the side.

Last edited:
Lowe has done almost all he can on his end to be fair. He’s refusing to play for them and has made it clear to them that he wishes to leave. Handing in a transfer request only puts it all in the public spotlight which is not what we want as it simply alerts other clubs to his situation. It’s down to us to put the money down now and Pompey to finally shake hands. Now if Pompey are all of a sudden demanding more than 3 million then I’d probably walk away and make it clear to Lowe that he’ll have to work harder to convince Pompey to let him go. Maybe that’s what we’ve done.

I just feel sorry for Lowe really, clearly wants to join us and he’s being held back by his club. No wonder less younger players are willing to sign long term contracts these days.

Lowe has done almost all he can on his end to be fair. He’s refusing to play for them and has made it clear to them that he wishes to leave. Handing in a transfer request only puts it all in the public spotlight which is not what we want as it simply alerts other clubs to his situation. It’s down to us to put the money down now and Pompey to finally shake hands. Now if Pompey are all of a sudden demanding more than 3 million then I’d probably walk away and make it clear to Lowe that he’ll have to work harder to convince Pompey to let him go. Maybe that’s what we’ve done.

I just feel sorry for Lowe really, clearly wants to join us and he’s being held back by his club. No wonder less younger players are willing to sign long term contracts these days.
Maybe Pompey are just following our lead from the last window when we sold Will to Sunderland.
Hope if he does arrive he makes a better impression than Will as at the S.O.L.

Maybe Pompey are just following our lead from the last window when we sold Will to Sunderland.
Hope if he does arrive he makes a better impression than Will as at the S.O.L.
No doubt they are. The big difference though is I don’t think Grigg was desperate to go, he was more than happy to stay with us hence we were able to use our position of power to drive his price up. It’s clear that Lowe wants to go, which puts Pompey in a situation where they are purposely blocking the player’s wishes and risks them having a player unwilling to play for them going forward which creates disharmony within the dressing room and fans. When a players wants to go, it’s very difficult to stop them now.

No matter what I cant help but feel sorry for Will Grigg. You go for big bucks and to presumably further your career. Just look now...he isn't liked up there and most think it's been a monumental waste of cash. Compared to here where he seemed happy, scoring and had a song being sung all over Europe.

Grass not always greener away from mother Wigan.