LB - Robinson | Pearce
CM - Morsy | Evans | Williams | Macleod | Weir
CAM - Windass | Enbokahare | Gelhardt
RW - Lowe | Massey | Pilkington
LW - Jacobs | Naismith | Roberts
ST - Moore | Garner | Lang

28 first team players

Average age: 25 Years old

I think it’s a very interesting point you raise about ‘consistency vs quality’. Like you say, had we played to our full potential for a prolonged period of time last season, we would’ve been right up there. That said, I think that consistency and quality are intertwined in the sense that, the more depth of quality players you have, the more likely you are to be consistent. The deterioration of our results last season coincided with injuries to key players at the time such as Jacobs, Powell and Grigg. If we’d had a larger squad, it would have been easier for us to bring in quality replacements for these, so we would’ve had a better chance of carrying on our early season form, and hence establishing more consistency in terms of our results. As it were, the lack of depth in quality players meant that the replacements for the aforementioned players were inadequate, and, consequently, results tailed off and we failed to maintain any degree of consistency after our brilliant start. This goes back to my original point that, to be consistent in the league, you need to have a squad which has depth in quality players for most positions. So consistency isn’t really possible without the quality being there in the first place. This balance is something that I believe we have this season to a greater extent than in our last campaign, and so I genuinely think that we are in with a much better shot at a top-half, potentially even playoff finish this season, than we were last season. I hope I’ve explained this clearly enough!

Like you say though, other sides have strengthened in terms of depth so it’s difficult to predict what will happen.
Will I hope you are Wright mate ???

Is Mulgrew up at Euxton......if he is then we can assume the loan has gone through,if not, it didn’t meet the deadline

it was looking pretty desperate but absolute fair play to the recruitment department they turned it around in spectacular fashion and proved their worth.

or an alternative view would be that they always had it in hand, nothing was "turned around" and it was only "looking desperate" to those of us on the outside who had no insight as to what was actually going on.

I think it’s a very interesting point you raise about ‘consistency vs quality’. Like you say, had we played to our full potential for a prolonged period of time last season, we would’ve been right up there. That said, I think that consistency and quality are intertwined in the sense that, the more depth of quality players you have, the more likely you are to be consistent. The deterioration of our results last season coincided with injuries to key players at the time such as Jacobs, Powell and Grigg. If we’d had a larger squad, it would have been easier for us to bring in quality replacements for these, so we would’ve had a better chance of carrying on our early season form, and hence establishing more consistency in terms of our results. As it were, the lack of depth in quality players meant that the replacements for the aforementioned players were inadequate, and, consequently, results tailed off and we failed to maintain any degree of consistency after our brilliant start. This goes back to my original point that, to be consistent in the league, you need to have a squad which has depth in quality players for most positions. So consistency isn’t really possible without the quality being there in the first place. This balance is something that I believe we have this season to a greater extent than in our last campaign, and so I genuinely think that we are in with a much better shot at a top-half, potentially even playoff finish this season, than we were last season. I hope I’ve explained this clearly enough!

Like you say though, other sides have strengthened in terms of depth so it’s difficult to predict what will happen.

Absolutely your extrapolating my point and taking it to the next level of detail that i completely agree with. But the point i was more making was the fundemental one that on paper last season Sheff U and Norwich didn't have the biggest squads, they didn't spend the most money, they didn't have the best individuals - before the season started if you looked at the division and said where do they fit for quality both probably would've been mid table - nowhere near the top 6 let alone top 2. But after the season was done it was those 2 sitting on top as they simply produced 8/10, 9/10 performances nearly every week while the superior teams form fluxuated and the likes of big spending Boro, West Brom, Derby produced few 9/10s and too many of 5/10s along the way despite having the superior squad depth and individual ability.

I think having a better squad helps in theory for obvious reasons but there are teams blessed with those that still can't find the reliability and consistency of some who are thin on the ground but able to ride the momentum.

or an alternative view would be that they always had it in hand, nothing was "turned around" and it was only "looking desperate" to those of us on the outside who had no insight as to what was actually going on.

Maybe, we'll never know for sure, but the fact even Cook seemed to be getting fed up who would know what was going on behind closed doors makes me think that they did turn it round rather than they were always planning to wait until the past 2 weeks to get everything done. To be fair turning it around like that probably speaks better about them than if everything went to plan - as ability to handle set backs and adapt is probably a big thing for that job - we've had bad summers in the past that the recruitment team couldn't recover from the set backs.

Rovers defender Charlie Mulgrew has joined Wigan Athletic on a season-long loan.

The 33-year-old arrived at Ewood Park from Celtic in August 2016 and has made 108 appearances in Rovers colours, scoring 27 goals.

The Scotland international will be ineligible to play against Rovers when the two teams meet at Ewood on December 21st and at the DW Stadium on March 18th.

Having seen mulgrew a lot in Scotland I think he will be a good signing.

10 goals in 30 is better than our forwards have managed in the last 3 seasons in the second tier.

He has played in midfield before as well so wouldn't be surprised to see him slot in there for some tougher games. His long range passing into flanks for the faster players will be useful.

I'm happy with Mulgrew just for his presence in the dressing room, Roberts, Fox, and Mulgrew are the right characters to have in a squad.

Blackburn fans are saying that he can score set pieces but can’t defend in the slightest.

A Blackburn supporting mate of mine told me his legs and engine have gone and that we probably got him 2 seasons too late.
I'm assuming he's here just for "experience" cover for if / when Fox is injured (a bit like Olsson last season).

A Blackburn supporting mate of mine told me his legs and engine have gone and that we probably got him 2 seasons too late.
I'm assuming he's here just for "experience" cover for if / when Fox is injured (a bit like Olsson last season).
That’s alright providing his wages aren’t astronomical

I have read a lot that Mulgrew can't defend and isnt a centre back, etc - but it's the first i've heard of it, they all seemed to rate him quite highly until very reccently. It seems like last year when the whole Blackburn team went on a terrible run he is getting a lot of the blame which seems a little harsh as even talisman Dack stopped shining during that spell so i wonder if he might be a bit of a scapegoat.

I remember something very similar with Fox at Forest - they loved him until about 3 months before we signed him and he seemed to have a wobble in form and they turned on him saying he was awful - yet he came here and has been brilliant.

Maybe Blackburn fans are right and Mulgrews legs have gone and he's not up to it, in which case that's that's not a disaster as we had 3 decent centre halves and needed a 4th for cover anyway. The best 2 of the 4 will play - if Mulgrew can't out perform the others he will just be cover and probably never play and we've not paid a fee for that. But alternatively maybe a fresh start will do him the world of good like it did Fox and he's still got something to offer. When we signed the majority of our squad the opposition fans said they weren't up to it but we've managed to get something out of them all to varying degrees so we know better than to assume a players performance at one club will be mirrored here.

Absolutely your extrapolating my point and taking it to the next level of detail that i completely agree with. But the point i was more making was the fundemental one that on paper last season Sheff U and Norwich didn't have the biggest squads, they didn't spend the most money, they didn't have the best individuals - before the season started if you looked at the division and said where do they fit for quality both probably would've been mid table - nowhere near the top 6 let alone top 2. But after the season was done it was those 2 sitting on top as they simply produced 8/10, 9/10 performances nearly every week while the superior teams form fluxuated and the likes of big spending Boro, West Brom, Derby produced few 9/10s and too many of 5/10s along the way despite having the superior squad depth and individual ability.

I think having a better squad helps in theory for obvious reasons but there are teams blessed with those that still can't find the reliability and consistency of some who are thin on the ground but able to ride the momentum.

Yeah I agree; I think a couple of examples to illustrate your point would be the Leeds/Sheffield United automatic promotion race last year, and Cardiff's promotion in 2016-17. There wasn't really much to separate Leeds and Sheffield United on paper last season; if anything you could argue that the former actually had more quality than the latter with established players like Pablo Hernandez in the side and the likes of Patrick Bamford on the bench at the beginning of the season, who had been one of the best strikers in the league a few years ago. Yet Sheffield United just managed to find that extra bit of consistency towards the end, and eventually that overcame any discrepancies in quality that may have existed between the two. Similarly, in 2017-18, Cardiff did not have a single player in the Sky Sports Championship Team of the Year, but despite having less individual ability in the side they managed to win promotion due to their mutual understanding and ability to grind out results even when they weren't playing to their best.

That said, I also think there are times when quality just wins the day in this league, and despite the best efforts of sides with smaller squads, they simply aren't able to compete with the higher budgets and greater depth of other clubs. Examples of this include Wolves in 2017-18 who spent 32m on Neves alone, and had quality all over the pitch... Coady, Neves, Jota, Saiss, etc, all of whom successfully made the transition to the Premier League last year. Similarly in 2016-17, I think the two automatic promotion places went to the clubs with the most quality in Newcastle and Brighton; the former with a renowned manager in Rafael Benitez and players like Gayle, Shelvey, Lascelles, Hayden and the latter with Knockaert, Murray, Dunk, Bruno etc. So, in summary, I think there are occasions where consistency can make up for a lack of quality, but there are also times when it's very difficult for the sides with less depth in their squad to compete with the higher spenders. I think there are examples to support both these situations.

For anyone interested here is a list of all of the transfers done this summer. There are probably a lot in there that many of us missed like Izzy Brown and James Bree to Luton, Hemed and Kayal to Charlton, Duffy to Stoke, Chalobah to Huddersfield, etc. Everyone has done a lot of business this window - i think this is the busiest i've ever seen this league.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/transfer-window-deadline-championship-leeds-16311827

So many unknown factors in new coaches and foreign players that it's very difficult to predict.