Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 194 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Given Fox's injury record and age, another similar player to rotate with is sensible. We have no free kick or penalty takers anymore and Mulgrew scored 10+ from them last season from defence! Hopefully Robinson's pace can help cover because whilst going forward he is excellent, does make a few judgements of error at the back. What he brings with goals for the team should far outweigh the negatives, like it did at Blackburn.

Would be the second summer window in a row we’ve fucked up submitting the powerwork in time if it doesn’t get approved. Only this time we can’t do what we did with Evans and change the deal to a loan to buy. Squeaky bum time folks.

Would be the second summer window in a row we’ve fucked up submitting the powerwork in time if it doesn’t get approved. Only this time we can’t do what we did with Evans and change the deal to a loan to buy. Squeaky bum time folks.

Seems like we was lingering on the Shotton deal for a while today, then Mulgrew came about and we switched, something must of happened for Mulgrew to leave. Either way, we needed a centreback, so I hope it pulls through.

Apparently that wasn't us messing up - it was Sheff U who put paper work in late. Cook was furious as it took up a loan spots.

I think at this moment in time the EFL have more pressing things to sort like, 'should we suspend a game in Horwich, or trying to work out how the fuck have managed to get ourselves in such shit with this situation?'.
More likely thinking how they can be bend over backwards and twist the rules more and more untill Horwich get a deal done and not lift a finger to support or help Bury. Their bias and favouritsm towards Horwich has been unexplainable.

Mulgrew, Lowe, Moore, Sterling, Fox, Marshall, Robinson.............. dare we dream of the playoffs??
Huddersfield were promoted with an arguably worse side than that in 2017...

Kendrick says everyone gone home from Euxton and he was home at 7pm We await EFL one way or another on Mulgrew
Also story in WEP how he rushed over and signed then papers sent in right away 5pm came and went but still no confirmation

Last edited:
Seems like we was lingering on the Shotton deal for a while today, then Mulgrew came about and we switched, something must of happened for Mulgrew to leave. Either way, we needed a centreback, so I hope it pulls through.

By sounds of it we had loads of irons in fire Carter-Vickers, Shotton, Bates, Mulgrew and we were just trying to get the best deal knowing other clubs were all in too.

Shotton apparently started out as a loan then switched to a buy (presumably Boro changed mind) apparently fee was 1.6m and his current wages are huge something like 30k as he was signed back in the parachute payments days. So that could've been tricky to get him into pay structure.

Mulgrew wages meant to be more in the 18k range and likely no loan fee if we picking them up makes deal far cheaper.

Mulgrew, Lowe, Moore, Sterling, Fox, Marshall, Robinson.............. dare we dream of the playoffs??

Lots of Championship clubs have made significant signings in the window, and at the moment it seems impossible to tell who’ll be in a relegation battle and who’ll be in mid-table looking up towards the playoffs. Fingers crossed we’re in the latter category this time around...

Lots of Championship clubs have made significant signings in the window, and at the moment it seems impossible to tell who’ll be in a relegation battle and who’ll be in mid-table looking up towards the playoffs. Fingers crossed we’re in the latter category this time around...

Yeah you never know do you? There are usually one or two teams that surprise everyone in the Championship; like you say hopefully this time it can be us!

If you look at the division nearly everyone has spent this window and improved - so while I'm pleased with our business I'm not sure if we've necessarily become drastically stronger than loads of other teams as they've all been strengthening in parallel. In years gone by our business may have catapulted us up a number of places but this year it may just keep you competitive.

I think promotion in the end is going to be more down to consistency than quality past a point. It's not who has the best players but who's players can play to their upper potential most often. If we'd have been able to play to our potential every week we'd have gone up last season and most teams in the league may have been able to say the same. But we couldn't find that reliability while Sheff U and Norwich were ruthlessly efficient despite not being the most expensive or star studded sides.

I think division is wide open with no clear favourite, if Cook can get us to turn up every single week and keep our standards high then we'll give ourselves a good chance - but it's easier said than done as last season proved.

Whilst you wouldn’t say we have any players who would be the ‘best’ player in the league, we have a very strong squad. In fact we could field 2 very strong teams. It’s all about Cook using the squad well and the players performing. Hopefully the competition for places will make everyone perform better and we’ll do well this year. I’m certainly far more optimistic after our recent signings and am looking forward to the season ahead (starting at Preston this weekend!).

If Cook plays the high pressing, high energy style from the first and last 9 games of last season, for an entire season this time around then we will get a lot of injuries again but this time we have depth to cope. Hopefully Cook will play to our strengths and we won't tail off from the top 6 hunt this time around.

With all of the excitement we've kind of missed the fact that we've not lost anyone important which is huge.

If Mulgrew goes through it's 11 signings this window with 8 of them coming in the past 10 days or so. When Cook and Fox were complaining we were light on numbers just 2 weeks ago it was looking pretty desperate but absolute fair play to the recruitment department they turned it around in spectacular fashion and proved their worth. Absolute credit where it's due, I thought they'd given themselves too big of a mountain to climb by leaving so much needed business so late but to get the quality and quantity of players in the time left was impressive stuff. Well done to IEC for showing the ambition and the recruitment department delivering one of the best transfer windows we've ever had. If Mulgrew gets confirmed even if window was open another week we wouldn't need to lool at anyone else - which is a funny feeling as usually we are scrambling and light when a window shuts.

I think I used the analogy earlier in the thread the recruitment this summer was like Chesterfield away - looking like it's all gone wrong and then at the death snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in dramatic fashion. I guess it wouldnt be Wigan if we just sensibly signed 1 player every week since the end of June in a slow and steady way - we don't do anything without it being a roller coaster.

If you look at the division nearly everyone has spent this window and improved - so while I'm pleased with our business I'm not sure if we've necessarily become drastically stronger than loads of other teams as they've all been strengthening in parallel. In years gone by our business may have catapulted us up a number of places but this year it may just keep you competitive.

I think promotion in the end is going to be more down to consistency than quality past a point. It's not who has the best players but who's players can play to their upper potential most often. If we'd have been able to play to our potential every week we'd have gone up last season and most teams in the league may have been able to say the same. But we couldn't find that reliability while Sheff U and Norwich were ruthlessly efficient despite not being the most expensive or star studded sides.

I think division is wide open with no clear favourite, if Cook can get us to turn up every single week and keep our standards high then we'll give ourselves a good chance - but it's easier said than done as last season proved.
We seem to have better and more back up options this season now, if we had these players and the same injuries last season we would have done significantly better, I believe

Have the EFL gone home for the night now .......if so does that mean the Mulgrew transfer didn’t make it or can they complete and announce tomorrow?

I think it’s a very interesting point you raise about ‘consistency vs quality’. Like you say, had we played to our full potential for a prolonged period of time last season, we would’ve been right up there. That said, I think that consistency and quality are intertwined in the sense that, the more depth of quality players you have, the more likely you are to be consistent. The deterioration of our results last season coincided with injuries to key players at the time such as Jacobs, Powell and Grigg. If we’d had a larger squad, it would have been easier for us to bring in quality replacements for these, so we would’ve had a better chance of carrying on our early season form, and hence establishing more consistency in terms of our results. As it were, the lack of depth in quality players meant that the replacements for the aforementioned players were inadequate, and, consequently, results tailed off and we failed to maintain any degree of consistency after our brilliant start. This goes back to my original point that, to be consistent in the league, you need to have a squad which has depth in quality players for most positions. So consistency isn’t really possible without the quality being there in the first place. This balance is something that I believe we have this season to a greater extent than in our last campaign, and so I genuinely think that we are in with a much better shot at a top-half, potentially even playoff finish this season, than we were last season. I hope I’ve explained this clearly enough!

Like you say though, other sides have strengthened in terms of depth so it’s difficult to predict what will happen.

Last edited:
Have the EFL gone home for the night now .......if so does that mean the Mulgrew transfer didn’t make it or can they complete and announce tomorrow?

They can announce it tomorrow - I notice Birmingham are in a similar position to us, and are waiting to see whether they managed to sign Jefferson Montero on loan from Swansea in time.

I thought we’d suffered the last of these ‘will he, won’t he?’ overnight deals with Grigg in January!