Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 13 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Are DC/NC still on holiday, as it is a bit quite on the old transfer front. A lot of noise about potential leavers, but not a lot on who may be coming in.
Save for Andrade & Woodyard not that much going on. Need to act quickly, rather than like the last two transfer markets where we have missed out due to acting too slow.
June/July is best time to pick up potential bargains, especially with rumours circulating around players leaving.
The issue is if Farman, Whitehouse and Palmer all go it adds to the amount of players we need to bring in. Danny said he wanted 4 or 5 players, was that to cover 3 more leaving? Or was it an additional 4 or 5 to strengthen the squad? I'm hoping it's the latter, after all we looked very tired at the end of the season. Success brings more games, more games means the need for a larger squad to cope. We all want to see as many games as possible.
Do we really want Posh cast offs? League 2 players that don't make the grade at average clubs? Defensive players from relegated teams?
There are parts of our squad that need to be strengthened and missing pieces of the jigsaw that need to be found.
I fully expect us to change our style next season and to adapt to each game in turn to prevent any side from working us out (it is what the best teams do after all). So I am hoping for some players to come in that can be used for different styles depending on the opposition. At the moment our football is a bit too one dimensional and predictable. So let's go for
1. Goalkeeper as cover for Vickers (IF he is fit enough)
2. Central Defender and Left sided Full back - Play 3 at the back with Bossie central in defence, but have option to swith to a back 4
3. Left sided attacking midfielder - lacking in this area, but should be willing to track back if we are playing 3 at the back.
4. Striker/forward who knows where the net is, but also isn't a show pony (Angol was massively) and has a lot of pace.

Asking a lot but I think the talent is out there.
I am also going to contradict myself (commented about DC looking for L1 and Championship ability players when signing Andrade ), but there ARE gems in the non-league that can get to the top given the chance (Vardy?), especially if they are young and have played for an up and coming promoted side.
I will watch the next few weeks very eagerly.
Another positive with signing non league players would be salary. We were most likely able to offer an increase to andrade and a move upwards in career terms. If we sign a prem/championship youngster it may well be the opposite in their eyes.

I wonder what kind of deal youngsters like ginnelly and jmd are/were on at their parent clubs...

The belief is that you get rubbish if you sign players early in the transfer window - lesser players who are so afraid they won't find a club that they sign for the first offer. The better players who move early are usually overpriced, and you get poor value for money.

On the other side of the coin, you don't want to leave it too late either, which is the time desperation sets in on both sides.

Danny's permanent signings in the summer transfer windows so far:

May: None.
June: Alex Woodyard (11th), Taylor Miles (21st), Sam Habergham (23rd), Adam Marriott (28th).
July: Jonny Margetts (14th), Nathan Arnold (29th).
August: Sean Raggett (3rd).

May: None.
June: Matt Green (26th), Ollie Palmer (26th), Billy Knott (27th), Josh Vickers (29th).
July: Harry Anderson (20th), Michael Bostwick (20th).
August: Neal Eardley (3rd).

Exactly the same pattern both times: none in May, four in June, two in July, and one in August.

Bruno Andrade is the only player Danny has signed in May in his three summer transfer windows so far.

Expect a busy June.

Shame we were scraping the barrel both times with the 3rd August signings....

Danny has got the timing right, I would say: nothing too early, nothing too late. Has only signed one player in May, and none at all in the last 4 weeks of the window. When he tried to do so (Akinola), it went badly wrong.

Think signings will obviously be earlier this window with it closing by the season starting!

I would expect the bulk of the signings to be made this month so that they are all ready for pre-season training come the early part of July.

Loan deals will then be looked at as I believe they can still be processed up to the end of August under the new ruling

Doing signings the Danny Cowley way sounds like a deeply thorough, time-consuming process. Likewise integrating players and pre-season training. For those reasons it makes perfect sense to get the signings done before July, and then be free to fully focus on training and building the team.

He is much closer to this than in the previous two seasons.

I would expect the bulk of the signings to be made this month so that they are all ready for pre-season training come the early part of July.

Loan deals will then be looked at as I believe they can still be processed up to the end of August under the new ruling
Spot on the loan window closes on August 31st, permanent signings August 3rd.

Danny and Nicky will be further down the line on signings than we all think! I suspect 5 to 6 will be confirmed in the next couple of weeks

Yes I think that too. I can't quite figure out whether it's hope rather than expectation though.

Not that I am advocating spending 250k on two forwards like County, but I wouldn't mind betting Hemmings and Dennis will more than likely get the Pies a good shot at the autos next season. I know DC is more cautious with the purse strings, I just hope the supposed competitive budget will give us enough to get us over the line.

Hemmings was apparently on £6k a week at Oxford, and Mansfield paid £3k a week to have him on loan.

That's the problem with big fees (relative to L2). Those who command them generally want the big wages, too.

I think they're making an announcement at 5pm re season ticket general sale. Part of me thinks around whatever that date is will be a big news day if they can can find a way.

If there's anything in that last rumour that move can only be because they have chucked silly money at him. Also will involve a fee

Potentially a strange choice of club to go to, but I was informed by someone relatively ITK prior to the Exeter game that DC had decided he needed to upgrade both Green & Palmer, so there may be something in it. They would want a fee for Green but Palmer free to a good home. Time will tell......