Summer 2019 Transfer target speculation and fantasies | Page 90 | Vital Football

Summer 2019 Transfer target speculation and fantasies

Sissoko is now our best midfielder, better than Dembele.
I hope we are not gonna build a team around Sissoko. Yes, he shows energy and effort, but as others have pointed out, lacks basic football brain and skill set. About time we found a proper box to box midfielder who can also find the net once in a while. We've had Dembele for several years who rarely scored, Parker for a short period not doing any better and Sissoko who has shooting coached out of him. Winks is following in the same tradition.

I hope we are not gonna build a team around Sissoko. Yes, he shows energy and effort, but as others have pointed out, lacks basic football brain and skill set. About time we found a proper box to box midfielder who can also find the net once in a while. We've had Dembele for several years who rarely scored, Parker for a short period not doing any better and Sissoko who has shooting coached out of him. Winks is following in the same tradition.

Spot on. That Sissoko has been our most consistent midfielder says everything about our decline in centre mid options. We need two top class players in his position. N'dombele and Teilemans are my picks.

Sissoko rarely tries to put himself into scoring positions, not his brief so its wrong to use to even partially assess his overall significance to the team. His team-role requires him to play outside of the penalty-box.

I strongly disagree that he lacks technique and a football brain as everytime I see him on the ball he rarely loses possession, extricates himself outta tight spots with the ball, and generally is a huge plus in possession.

easily in the top3 all-round midfielders in the Prem nowadays.

Sissoko rarely tries to put himself into scoring positions, not his brief so its wrong to use to even partially assess his overall significance to the team. His team-role requires him to play outside of the penalty-box.

I strongly disagree that he lacks technique and a football brain as everytime I see him on the ball he rarely loses possession, extricates himself outta tight spots with the ball, and generally is a huge plus in possession.

easily in the top3 all-round midfielders in the Prem nowadays.

Top 3 all round midfielders?

Who are the other 2

I will never fault Sissoko for his performance this season. He gave it his all and left it all on the pitch every time. We should be saying thank you...he was critical in however you want to define success this season. (and believe me we don't have many bright spots to look at this season...) He stabilized to the best of his ability a spine that was on the verge of collapsing.

Yes there is better than Sissoko...but it would be nice if the folks around him played worth a shit. (Excluding Toby and Vert...who were massive this season)

Sissoko is a squad player and would to this end be very usefully. Only he is uniquely unsuited to being a squad player without regular game time his lack of rhythm coupled with his poor technique kill his limited game. It's no coincidence that our lack of MF options coincided with his best form.

It is also not a coincidence that his 'form' has coincided with a season that saw us losing 13 PL games, the worst defensive/offensive stats in the last 4 years and a drop in form across all our starting line.

In this market we can easily get 30-40 for him.

As much as I think Sissoko has been our player of the season, I don't think he is going to push us on. He has always lacked that extra something and when you compare him to the likes of Yaya Toure and Viera you can clearly see that. When you compare his season to a very similar player in another current EPL team, I'd say Doucouré is a good player to look at. Doucouré has scored 5 goals and got 6 assists in what I would class as a pretty average season. Sissoko has no goals and 3 assists.

I think it is wrong to say Sissoko has been a reason behind our poor form this season because I'd actually say if it wasnt for Sissoko we would have struggled a lot more. Defensively we have been disorganised this season aside from the obvious in Trippier having a truly woeful season, I have big criticism of Toby and Davinson too.

Dembele had the uncanny knack of taking all the momentum out of any attack with his dawdling and innate need to wait for an opponent to stroll up to him just so that he can try to dribble past him, by which time the opposition had marshalled their defence.

Sissoko overall is superior, IMO of course. but not by much.

Looking at the contract situation things seem depressing, our problems extend far beyond the current contract situations of Toby/Eriksen.

Expiring contracts 2020:
Eriksen, Toby Verts.

Expiring contracts 2021:
Dier, Rose, Wanyama, Sissoko, Davies, CCV, Onomah, Skipp.

(Side note, I'd sell the whole 2021 group if we could keep the 2020 players.)

With 2 years remaining on their contracts, that group of players in the 2021 need sorting out asap or we can face the same issued we are having with Eriksen and Toby.

Rose and Wanyama are both injury prone and highly unlikely to get extensions due to their age - Rose 29 and Wanyama 28. Sissoko is 30, so I don't see an extension there either, and I've made my views about selling him clear.

We need a LB in immediately and sell one of Rose/Davies. Rose is far better but keeping him means gambling on his health.

Onomah and CCV will be gone I assume, which leaves us with a decision to make with Dier.

Seems like decisions need to be taken and a huge clear-out to be made.

I agree but I'll be negative and say we have very very little chance of signing either unfortunately.

Not sure why so many fans think this window is going to be any better than our previous 10+
For Levy, the biggest uncertainty was always the final costs around the stadium. Now that's out of the way, I think (hope) he'll be a bit more willing to spend.

I have a feeling that we won't get anywhere near NDombele and Wan Bissaka. That's not me being overly negative. That's a simple thought process based on a load of data points built up over a number of years.

The club need to build the relationship with their fanbase around transfers. They head into the summer with no credibility in this area whatsoever. I sincerely hope that is corrected by August.

We quite simply need to invest if we want to progress. We did wonders considering the lack of purchases and injuries. There was more than a fair bit of luck.