Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread | Page 124 | Vital Football

Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread

I haven't written Onomah off yet. Hoping this is his breakthrough season. With guys like him, it's hard to factor in their age as they seem too have been around a while. In reality Josh has just turned 21 and if the Poch work ethic thing has clicked with him, he can displace Sissoko who has that quality in abundance. Josh has way more ability though. Amos is 2 months older than Josh and only just got involved and would be behind Josh in my mind.

I've watched Josh since he was a kid, always had bundles of ability but his inconsistency seems to have carried on far longer than I ever thought it would.

At his best, he's a top class prospect; but there are still games where he just seems uninterested/not prepared.

I was pleased to see him retained this season, but only if Poch works hard on him to shake him up, but it may just be it's because we're looking to sell/loan him again.

Last edited:
That's the type of thinking that led us to this point.

We reportedly had a 5 million offer for CCV while he was on loan.With 2 years on his contract and his chances of seeing significant game time needed for his development are almost none, why do you feel his value will go up?

Personally I don't think he has the physical attributes to play for us, and if the club is looking at Foyth/CCV as a replacement for Toby/Jan then boy we are in trouble.

We have 2 young CBs, that's unbalanced in my view as it will limit both player's development, but if poch believes in them then the club's stance should be to limit the CBs on the roster to 4.

Same goes for CM - we have Amos and Winks alongside Dembele, Sissoko and Onomah. I'd much rather have Sissoko off (as states previously), but if that can't be achieved Onomah is next in line.

We cant hoard players in each and every position and then be surprised we cant by without selling. 3 keepers, 3 RBs, 5 CBs, 5 CM's - this is insanity. Levy needs to be stricter with Poch on this matter.

Finally, don't dismiss money that easily, especially when we are on such a tight budget. The combination of a lean squad and extra funds allow the manager to take a risk for a player without disrupting the squad or jeopardising our future purchases. 20+ million for experimentation gets you Shaqiri/Mawson/Madisson.

That's the type of thinking that led us to this point.

We reportedly had a 5 million offer for CCV while he was on loan.With 2 years on his contract and his chances of seeing significant game time needed for his development are almost none, why do you feel his value will go up?

Personally I don't think he has the physical attributes to play for us, and if the club is looking at Foyth/CCV as a replacement for Toby/Jan then boy we are in trouble.

We have 2 young CBs, that's unbalanced in my view as it will limit both player's development, but if poch believes in them then the club's stance should be to limit the CBs on the roster to 4.

Same goes for CM - we have Amos and Winks alongside Dembele, Sissoko and Onomah. I'd much rather have Sissoko off (as states previously), but if that can't be achieved Onomah is next in line.

We cant hoard players in each and every position and then be surprised we cant by without selling. 3 keepers, 3 RBs, 5 CBs, 5 CM's - this is insanity. Levy needs to be stricter with Poch on this matter.

Finally, don't dismiss money that easily, especially when we are on such a tight budget. The combination of a lean squad and extra funds allow the manager to take a risk for a player without disrupting the squad or jeopardising our future purchases. 20+ million for experimentation gets you Shaqiri/Mawson/Madisson.
If there is one thing I am consistent about is not writing off young players too soon, the club thinks enough of them to offer them new contracts.
I also see nothing wrong with both Foyth and CCV fighting it out for first team spot, I will agree that Foyth looks the more promising. But they are both are very young for CB's, I would loan out CCV till Jan and in Jan see if a loan to PL can be arranged.
I would also wouldn't have a little wager that if we keep CCV till next summer we'll get more than £5m for him.

If there is one thing I am consistent about is not writing off young players too soon, the club thinks enough of them to offer them new contracts.
I also see nothing wrong with both Foyth and CCV fighting it out for first team spot, I will agree that Foyth looks the more promising. But they are both are very young for CB's, I would loan out CCV till Jan and in Jan see if a loan to PL can be arranged.
I would also wouldn't have a little wager that if we keep CCV till next summer we'll get more than £5m for him.

Agree. It's hard to know what to do with CCV as more playing time on loan could be just what he needs. With Foyth, I might be tempted to get him into Dier's position in training and see where it takes us. He looks to have the talents to play the DCM role and with Wanyama's left knee issues it could be worth giving him a few cameos there to close out games.

It's probably KWP that needs a loan most. Part of me would still take offers for Aurier until Aug 31, but not sure KWP's pre-season form was that special either.

Wow, if we were able to offload Sissoko & Llorente before the windows close, that's be soooooo great!

I just hope that any Rose deal with PSG ends up with us getting that player in January maybe.

Don't see the benefit in getting rid of Sissoko. He's adequate cover at cm if winks, Wanyama, Dembele, dier all picked up injuries.

Also don't like the idea of KWP at LB so hope we keep Rose.

We can cope fine without Llorente and Nkoudou should go for his own benefit.

Totally agree with all that freund, no reason to get rid of Sissoko with no replacement in. He's still useful in certain games.

I'd rather give our youth game time over Sissoko, everyone here seem to champion giving youth a chance but are happy to have 3 senior CM's just in case injuries happen.

If Sissoko stays, Onomah and Amos will have less game time, and I'd rather them playing than him.

I agree with Pollo (unusual I know), I would promote Amos. if we could sell Sissoko rather than loan, we would have funds in the kitty for Jan.
I would been keen on shifting Llorente as well, we could certainly make do till Janssen is fit.

I agree with Pollo (unusual I know), I would promote Amos. if we could sell Sissoko rather than loan, we would have funds in the kitty for Jan.
I would been keen on shifting Llorente as well, we could certainly make do till Janssen is fit.

We agreed the Dier, so that's 2/2 ;)

I'd rather give our youth game time over Sissoko, everyone here seem to champion giving youth a chance but are happy to have 3 senior CM's just in case injuries happen.

If Sissoko stays, Onomah and Amos will have less game time, and I'd rather them playing than him.

I liked what I saw of Amos but he definitely isn't as strong or quick as Sissoko. Also Amos wasn't one of our highest rated youngsters so whilst I hope he does step up I wouldn't fully risk it.

Our youth academy is in trouble tbh. I'd love more players to come through but many of our hottest prospects are jumping ship, or planning on doing so. I don't really blame Poch or Levy, top 3 sides aren't going to be able to blood as many youngsters when the squad is pretty solid as they'd like.

I liked what I saw of Amos but he definitely isn't as strong or quick as Sissoko. Also Amos wasn't one of our highest rated youngsters so whilst I hope he does step up I wouldn't fully risk it.

Our youth academy is in trouble tbh. I'd love more players to come through but many of our hottest prospects are jumping ship, or planning on doing so. I don't really blame Poch or Levy, top 3 sides aren't going to be able to blood as many youngsters when the squad is pretty solid as they'd like.

I'd be ok if the club had a strategy, any strategy, but the fact remians that we have 3 senior CMs(Dembo, Winks, Sissoko) and 2 youngsters that need game time (Onomah, Amos).

Considering that Ali/Eriksen can also cover in CM, we're in a lose lose situation - young players dont get game time and cant evolve, senior players will cost a lot of money we dont have in wages and potential sales.

That said, Sissoko is a 3rd choice pick behind Dembo/Winks, and even with all the injuries our squad players had last year managed only 1379 minutes in the PL, which clearly states Poch doesn't trust him either.

I'd sell him to any bidder whatsoever.

I'd be ok if the club had a strategy, any strategy, but the fact remians that we have 3 senior CMs(Dembo, Winks, Sissoko) and 2 youngsters that need game time (Onomah, Amos).

Considering that Ali/Eriksen can also cover in CM, we're in a lose lose situation - young players dont get game time and cant evolve, senior players will cost a lot of money we dont have in wages and potential sales.

That said, Sissoko is a 3rd choice pick behind Dembo/Winks, and even with all the injuries our squad players had last year managed only 1379 minutes in the PL, which clearly states Poch doesn't trust him either.

I'd sell him to any bidder whatsoever.

That's over 15 games worth of 90 mins. He actually played in 33 PL games. He's clearly far from first choice but that's a lot of games for a youngster who has yet to prove themselves even mid table PL quality.

That's over 15 games worth of 90 mins. He actually played in 33 PL games. He's clearly far from first choice but that's a lot of games for a youngster who has yet to prove themselves even mid table PL quality.

Those minutes were not all in CM, they were spread across multiple positions. With Moura coming in and Lamela back from injury he will not see any game time this season in AM.

Winks missed over 200 days last season, Dembele 33, and this return on a 90k a week player isn't worth it. As I said, we have Eriksen/Dele to drop back if a crisis like last season does occur, and still provide plenty of game time for youth.

With Moura coming in and Lamela back from injury he will not see any game time this season in AM.

I'm thankful for that as I hate him at AM. Don't think he's as bad at CM as some make out though. To my recollection he definitely played more at CM than AM last season, he played more AM the season before though and it was usually a disaster.

Based on Eriksen playing deeper against Fulham I'm not sure I'm a fan. Dele is good there but he's one of our main goal threats so be a shame to lose that in the final 3rd.

Been watching that Man City documentary series. Its a bit of a love in for the club - but it was interesting to see how they dealt with the (I think Keita) transfer (who went to Liverpiss). The city director said the finances just didn't add up for them so they pulled out. If City say the finances dont add up it goes to show how difficult it is for the rest of us.