Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread | Page 123 | Vital Football

Summer 2018 Transfer Window Official Thread

Every club buys players that don't work out, supporters need to realise it's not an exact science.
The bottom line is we invariably manage to claw back a higher percentage than most clubs when we move these players on, that's why I chuckle when I hear people saying 'pay the money if you want him' or 'he could win us the league' they never think of the consequence if it doesn't work out.
Look at some of the fees Chelski, M.U. have paid for players and put on big salaries that have done nothing for them and end up having to loan them out or selling them at a heavy loss.
So why we pretend that we are worse than other clubs is baffling, the fact is in fact the opposite IMO.
They ignore the fact that we shop in a different market, but we've manage to build a team that has finished in the top 4 three season running.

Every club buys players that don't work out, supporters need to realise it's not an exact science.
The bottom line is we invariably manage to claw back a higher percentage than most clubs when we move these players on, that's why I chuckle when I hear people saying 'pay the money if you want him' or 'he could win us the league' they never think of the consequence if it doesn't work out.
Look at some of the fees Chelski, M.U. have paid for players and put on big salaries that have done nothing for them and end up having to loan them out or selling them at a heavy loss.
So why we pretend that we are worse than other clubs is baffling, the fact is in fact the opposite IMO.
They ignore the fact that we shop in a different market, but we've manage to build a team that has finished in the top 4 three season running.

What forward signings have been made since that listed shower of shit that have actually come off ?

We have not had any realistic forward options for years, that is one of the major reasons we can't actually win a trophy, if plan A is not working, pack up and go home because there is nothing whatsoever on the bench to come on and score a goal.

That's why life has just got a whole lot tougher for Levy (and Poch).

N'Koudou, N'Jie, Janssen and Llorente weren't the first choices. They were all from column B. The good news is that Poch has appeared to delete column B from the THFC spreadsheet altogether and told Levy to get his first choices or he'll work with the younger players. He's self corrected, even though I'm guessing someone like Aurier would have been in the first column as our main target after Walker left.

If we don't get our best players to sign new contracts, Poch will have a mush longer target list very soon.

N'Jie , N'Koudo, Janssen, Llorente 50+ mil right down the drain.

Who has been sacked for this ?

Who ?

The real world would not stand for this sort of routine Spursy cover up.

Whilst you weren't watching, we pretty much changed/sacked our chief scouts and two of his key people....Steve Hitchin is now in charge, but he's only been in the job 12 months and targets are scouted (generally) long before that...

So the question is, 'is our recruitment success worse/better than our immediate rivals?' - if so, who has the last word and should they too be walked to the door if it is?

Although funnily enough most purchases in the whole of the premier league look to be 50/50 success/failures - except perhaps for City, and arguably Liverpiss..

Last edited:
N'Jie , N'Koudo, Janssen, Llorente 50+ mil right down the drain.

Who has been sacked for this ?

Who ?

The real world would not stand for this sort of routine Spursy cover up.

50 million gets a high level player

Now that we know Toby will stay for the season, can we please sell CCV? We need the funds early for next window, and clearly Foyth is ahead of him in Poch's books.

Still got too many players on our books - Janssen, a keeper and one of Sissoko(fingers crossed) or onomah can all leave and we won't even feel it.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to sell CCV or Onomah, both will only increase in value.
We should also bear in mind that Toby will probably be gone next summer and Jan will be 32 before the season is over, why not give both this season to see how they shape up.
Besides we are in trouble if we are relying on transfer fees for those two at the minute, we'd be lucky if we got £20m for the two of them.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to sell CCV or Onomah, both will only increase in value.
We should also bear in mind that Toby will probably be gone next summer and Jan will be 32 before the season is over, why not give both this season to see how they shape up.
Besides we are in trouble if we are relying on transfer fees for those two at the minute, we'd be lucky if we got £20m for the two of them.

That's the type of thinking that led us to this point.

We reportedly had a 5 million offer for CCV while he was on loan.With 2 years on his contract and his chances of seeing significant game time needed for his development are almost none, why do you feel his value will go up?

Personally I don't think he has the physical attributes to play for us, and if the club is looking at Foyth/CCV as a replacement for Toby/Jan then boy we are in trouble.

We have 2 young CBs, that's unbalanced in my view as it will limit both player's development, but if poch believes in them then the club's stance should be to limit the CBs on the roster to 4.

Same goes for CM - we have Amos and Winks alongside Dembele, Sissoko and Onomah. I'd much rather have Sissoko off (as states previously), but if that can't be achieved Onomah is next in line.

We cant hoard players in each and every position and then be surprised we cant by without selling. 3 keepers, 3 RBs, 5 CBs, 5 CM's - this is insanity. Levy needs to be stricter with Poch on this matter.

Finally, don't dismiss money that easily, especially when we are on such a tight budget. The combination of a lean squad and extra funds allow the manager to take a risk for a player without disrupting the squad or jeopardising our future purchases. 20+ million for experimentation gets you Shaqiri/Mawson/Madisson.

Still possible that Toby can go before the close of play on the 31 st of August

To me it is highly unlikely, otherwise we wouldnt have seen him in action. It feels as though he is staying, but that's just a hunch.

Dembele is a worry though. He is clearly our best CM and in both matches came off the bench for limited minutes to save us.

Are we protecting him from injury before a potential transfer?

Selling Sissoko would be ok if Winks and Dembele stay fit. Also assuming Amos and Skipp are considered in front of him in the pecking order which they probably are not. That's 4 players he could be covering at least. Wanyama is currently injured with his future sadly in question and if Dier were to get injured that's another two players Sissoko could cover, not ideally of course but potentially.

To me it is highly unlikely, otherwise we wouldnt have seen him in action. It feels as though he is staying, but that's just a hunch.

Dembele is a worry though. He is clearly our best CM and in both matches came off the bench for limited minutes to save us.

Are we protecting him from injury before a potential transfer?

After last season, you shouldn't be surprised; he can barely last 90 mins or the season - his injury issues are supposed to be behind him, and despite his inclusion in the Belguim squad it's believed he needs to be carefully brought back to match fitness.

Same goes for Victor, Winks is ahead fitness wise than both, but I also suspect he'll need time to find his touch and form.

After last season, you shouldn't be surprised; he can barely last 90 mins or the season - his injury issues are supposed to be behind him, and despite his inclusion in the Belguim squad it's believed he needs to be carefully brought back to match fitness.

Same goes for Victor, Winks is ahead fitness wise than both, but I also suspect he'll need time to find his touch and form.

So would it be prudent to sell Sissoko ?

Hardly surprised, but the question mark for me is whether this is just a precaution or part of the selling plan.

With Bielsa at Leeds we can look to loan a couple of players to get some game time under Poch's mentor.

If they need Foyth/KWP I'd loan them for free, that experience could be invaluable.

Selling Sissoko would be ok if Winks and Dembele stay fit. Also assuming Amos and Skipp are considered in front of him in the pecking order which they probably are not. That's 4 players he could be covering at least. Wanyama is currently injured with his future sadly in question and if Dier were to get injured that's another two players Sissoko could cover, not ideally of course but potentially.

I haven't written Onomah off yet. Hoping this is his breakthrough season. With guys like him, it's hard to factor in their age as they seem too have been around a while. In reality Josh has just turned 21 and if the Poch work ethic thing has clicked with him, he can displace Sissoko who has that quality in abundance. Josh has way more ability though. Amos is 2 months older than Josh and only just got involved and would be behind Josh in my mind.

Hardly surprised, but the question mark for me is whether this is just a precaution or part of the selling plan.

Well Poch has lost his rag about not being blackmailed by players/agents.

I think the loss of cool was prompted by at least 4 players agents pointing a gun at Poch's head - and it's the first time I've seen him succumb to the pressure.

I believe one of these is Dembele/agent.