Suella Braverman (n/g) | Page 8 | Vital Football

Suella Braverman (n/g)

I assume that is a cruel piss take of Lindsay Hoyle. You cannot be serious. A Speaker so wet he needs wringing out. Oh for the days of Boothroyd or Bercow.

The Tories can hardly believe their luck having him let successive PM's get away with making an even greater mockery of PMQ's than it already was. Pathetic little comments after the event "telling off" the likes of Braverman for announcung policy outside the Commons..ooh, she was shit scared of him, NOT.
No, not at all. PMQ`s is theatre, to rest an assessment on that basis alone is rather hollow. I happen to know that M.P`s, including from parties other than the Conservatives, feel that Sir Lindsay is not a man to fall foul of, is respected and considered fair. Don`t be fooled by the accent !

PMQ`s is theatre, to rest an assessment on that basis alone is rather hollow.

The point is it shouldn't be. I get rather fucked off each week that the PM isn't actually answering the questions. Can you imagine how refreshing it'd be for a speaker to simply reply "no Mr Prime minister, please answer the question as asked".

We need a judge there, not an MP.

Iu
The point is it shouldn't be. I get rather fucked off each week that the PM isn't actually answering the questions. Can you imagine how refreshing it'd be for a speaker to simply reply "no Mr Prime minister, please answer the question as asked".

Agreed.

for a long while it has been the case that the ruling party packs pmq with their own MPs asking the PM if they agree with them on a topic or event. Only the opposition leaders questions are given relevance.

But few people really answer questions these days. Whether it`s politics or big business - semantic choreography enables folk to answer questions, but leave gaps around the real core or crux at issue or central to the question.

With politicians you have to read every word and figure out how something is said or, more insightfully, what`s not said in order to gain a view about how well, complete or otherwise, a question is answered.

It`s probably been so for six or seven hundred years. Though, without Hansard, we can`t be sure about pre 19th century !

No, not at all. PMQ`s is theatre, to rest an assessment on that basis alone is rather hollow. I happen to know that M.P`s, including from parties other than the Conservatives, feel that Sir Lindsay is not a man to fall foul of, is respected and considered fair. Don`t be fooled by the accent !
See Medway Modernists reply. PMQ's worse than ever now. Sunak or whoever is PM today/next week (changes so often) must be so relieved to get such an easy ride.

As for corrections to the record, well the blatant untruths are stated in PMQ's and quietly corrected later on out of the spotlight, ie, they get away with them. Should be made to publicly correct them at next PMQ's.

But few people really answer questions these days. Whether it`s politics or big business - semantic choreography enables folk to answer questions, but leave gaps around the real core or crux at issue or central to the question.

With politicians you have to read every word and figure out how something is said or, more insightfully, what`s not said in order to gain a view about how well, complete or otherwise, a question is answered.

It`s probably been so for six or seven hundred years. Though, without Hansard, we can`t be sure about pre 19th century !

All the more reason that the leader of the bloody country should be made to actually answer questions imho.

As for corrections to the record, well the blatant untruths are stated in PMQ's and quietly corrected later on out of the spotlight, ie, they get away with them. Should be made to publicly correct them at next PMQ's.

IMHO the correction should be given as a minimum the same level of distribution that the original statement was provided with, in all walks of life.

News paper has a headline proven to be false or misleading, new front page with the correction on it...

IMHO the correction should be given as a minimum the same level of distribution that the original statement was provided with, in all walks of life.

News paper has a headline proven to be false or misleading, new front page with the correction on it...
Spot on, was thinking of using the newspaper analogy myself.

All the more reason that the leader of the bloody country should be made to actually answer questions imho.
It doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.
They’ll be gone next year and the other side will have the chance to balls it all up.
I’m just hoping that the hope I have for a Starmer administration isn’t in vain.
Surely they will do a better job, won’t they?

I do have a concern, given that Starmer has reneged on pretty much every commitment he made during his leadership battle.

See Medway Modernists reply. PMQ's worse than ever now. Sunak or whoever is PM today/next week (changes so often) must be so relieved to get such an easy ride.

Yep, saw MM`s post. There are judges in the House of Lords - not required in the HoC.

I was actually responding to your assumption of me making a "cruel piss take of Lindsay Hoyle. You cannot be serious. A Speaker so wet he needs wringing out."

Personally, I respect and like Sir Lindsay Hoyle, don`t see him as wet and i`m told that the most in the Commons feel he is fair and a man not to fall foul of!

I didn`t mention blatant untruths - I was alluding to avoidance of a straight answer via semantic or omission based navigation. Misrepresentation of facts are frequently (subsequently) corrected and are recorded by Hansard - there for all to see, and for all the media to report . You should read No Ordinary Day - ask your daughter.

Do you really think i`m condoning the lack of a straight answer to a straight question ? (you don`t have to answer that :hmmm: ) What i`m alluding to is that whatever the colour of the party in Government - when it comes to tricky matters/questions in the HoC, you`ll rarely get a full/straight answer - it`s called politics.

It doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

It does matter though, because if (to quote Danny Dyer) politicians are held to account for the bollocks they say, then we'll all be better off for it in the long run.

Starmer is an interesting one, he's due to get a huge majority, but with a membership far more on the left than he is.

Yep, saw MM`s post. There are judges in the House of Lords - not required in the HoC.

I was actually responding to your assumption of me making a "cruel piss take of Lindsay Hoyle. You cannot be serious. A Speaker so wet he needs wringing out."

Personally, I respect and like Sir Lindsay Hoyle, don`t see him as wet and i`m told that the most in the Commons feel he is fair and a man not to fall foul of!

I didn`t mention blatant untruths - I was alluding to avoidance of a straight answer via semantic or omission based navigation. Misrepresentation of facts are frequently (subsequently) corrected and are recorded by Hansard - there for all to see, and for all the media to report . You should read No Ordinary Day - ask your daughter.
"Recorded by Hansard". Yes, I know, obviously. The point MM and I make is that such things should at the very least get the same level of publicity as the original untruth/mistake. How many people scour Hansard for corrections ffs?

As for away from PMQ's, he may well be effective. However, PMQ's and the soundbites it produces are what is seen by most of the public.

Do you really think i`m condoning the lack of a straight answer to a straight question ? (you don`t have to answer that :hmmm: ) What i`m alluding to is that whatever the colour of the party in Government - when it comes to tricky matters/questions in the HoC, you`ll rarely get a full/straight answer - it`s called politics.

Of course people will twist themselves in knots to get out of awkward questions, but what I've noticed with Bojo and Rishi, and hilariously Liz for the 3 weeks she was there, was that they just ignore the question entirely.

As an example from Hansard today. Which IMO shows up why the system doesn't work for either side of the box.

"Keir Starmer
For someone who has spent the last few weeks complaining about recycling bins, it is ironic that the Prime Minister’s latest reset involves recycling the architects of 13 years of Tory failure. This is the Prime Minister who reanimated the career of the right hon. and learned Member for Fareham (Suella Braverman) in order to resuscitate his own, just days after she was sacked for a national security breach. Is he ashamed that he was so desperate to become Tory leader and so scared to face a vote that he put someone so totally unfit for office in charge of Britain’s national security?

The Prime Minister
The right hon. and learned Gentleman mentions 13 years, but we should remember what happened at the beginning of those 13 years. It is this party that restored the country’s financial security after the Labour party left no money behind. It is a bit rich to take lectures on security from a man who wanted to make the right hon. Member for Islington North (Jeremy Corbyn) Prime Minister of our country."

The question is leading as fuck, but the question (in bold) is basically is he ashamed he put Suella in situ, and in his response he hasn't referenced it one iota.

All it would take is a speaker/judge/chairperson to simply go, Mr Prime Minister, you have not answered the question....

How about passing a law to say the Yemen is safe? Myanmar? Afghanistan a great place for liberated women?

Perhaps they can declare Gaza and Israel are safe places atm.

"It's safe because we say it is" in the face of the evidence elucidated by the Supreme Court today. 🙄🙄

How about passing a law to say the Yemen is safe? Myanmar? Afghanistan a great place for liberated women?

Perhaps they can declare Gaza and Israel are safe places atm.

"It's safe because we say it is" in the face of the evidence elucidated by the Supreme Court today. 🙄🙄
It’s hilarious because the Supreme Court quoted warnings given by the British Police and the Foreign Office regarding safety of British citizens and the actions of the Rwandan Government including murders, torture and ‘disappearances’. I‘m always less amazed by the awful policies the Government enact than I am by their sheer breathtaking incompetence. It was known weeks ago that the scheme would fail when the evidence was presented and the Government lawyers had no answers. And, for the record Labour (presumably Captain Hindsight) warned that this would be the outcome when the Government first proposed it. But hey ho let’s chuck £140 million down the drain. After all there’s plenty of money for everything else !

It’s hilarious because the Supreme Court quoted warnings given by the British Police and the Foreign Office regarding safety of British citizens and the actions of the Rwandan Government including murders, torture and ‘disappearances’. I‘m always less amazed by the awful policies the Government enact than I am by their sheer breathtaking incompetence. It was known weeks ago that the scheme would fail when the evidence was presented and the Government lawyers had no answers. And, for the record Labour (presumably Captain Hindsight) warned that this would be the outcome when the Government first proposed it. But hey ho let’s chuck £140 million down the drain. After all there’s plenty of money for everything else !
Astonishing sums of money clearly wasted by this Government over the last few years (esp since Johnson started) on things that are obviously useless. Can add £40m+ of public money spaffed by Johnson of the "Garden Bridge" that he promised would not spend a penny of public money.

They are supposed to be the party to trust on public spending.

Btw, I'm not objecting to the principle of, for example, "furlough", although some serious maladministration over how it was spent.