Statistical analysis of the season to date | Page 5 | Vital Football

Statistical analysis of the season to date

But you're both missing the point.

I don't 'mistrust...anything requiring interpretation'.

I challenge interpretations which admit to being grossly inaccurate (the 'expected' points table for Championship sides after 11 games, allegedly based on statistical analysis of those games, which apart from anything else has Bristol City 23rd without a win when in reality they only have one defeat and have somehow managed to amass FIVE wins!)
I don't think we are. And I didn't say or imply that, which is a large part of the reason for not bringing any form of statistics or semantics to a football forum argument in the first place (in my opinion) . Better off just calling each other dick heads.

Last edited:
I don't think we are. And I didn't say or imply that, which is a large part of the reason for not bringing any form of statistics or semantics to a football forum argument in the first place (in my opinion) . Better off just calling each other dick heads in my opinion.

On the other hand, you might have just stirred up a can of worms, a one-man quest to expose the fallacies of xG, which will do us all a favour in the long run! I'm already intrigued at the examples in the BBC quiz, and I wonder exactly how and why certain percentages were applied to some of the chances shown.

Nah - I'm far too lazy to take it any further, but I'm not suggesting any sort of conspiracy beyond a marketing team anxious to sell their wares. Don't think their product justifies the hype they give it.

Everyone who understands and utilises it is well aware of the limitations and benefits. As I said at the beginning this is a pointless conversation, you have no frame of reference, just a weird little agenda.

Just to attempt to clarify one last time, xG is not a metric to decide league tables on. The person who made one has just done it for a bit of fun, anyone who takes that aspect seriously is a nincompoop.

It's one to assist in assessing your creativity and defensive solidity. It's flawed in a number of ways but also an interesting tool that can assist (and only assist) in analysing your performance and potential recruitment.

Just to attempt to clarify one last time, xG is not a metric to decide league tables on. The person who made one has just done it for a bit of fun, anyone who takes that aspect seriously is a nincompoop.

It's one to assist in assessing your creativity and defensive solidity. It's flawed in a number of ways but also an interesting tool that can assist (and only assist) in analysing your performance and potential recruitment.

As Capt Jack Sparrow said ” more like guidelines”.

And yet if you bother to read my posts, all I've said is that it's a nonsense to use xG to construct an 'as if' league table.

Finally you agree, but descend to abuse as usual. 'Just a bit of fun, no-one would take it seriously' - your tone has changed completely.

And yet if you bother to read my posts, all I've said is that it's a nonsense to use xG to construct an 'as if' league table.

Finally you agree, but descend to abuse as usual. 'Just a bit of fun, no-one would take it seriously' - your tone has changed completely.

Jesus it's like dealing with Pope's idiot half brother.

The very first thing I said was the league table is nonsense because it has no basis in reality.

I then tried to explain what the xG calculation is actually used for, something you've singularly failed to grasp.

The shouty ether of vital forest. The last bastion of reassurance for the weak mind chaps. To gain reinforcement for our misplaced and righteous sociopathy. It’s a condemnation of the the way this kind of media has bastardised the mind of free thinking people, otherwise engaging and connected persons for the common cause of our club, the thing that connects us.

I think the stats are flawed in mamy ways and overall you are just generalising rather than being truly accurate.
Simple things like watching a game and there being no action whatsover but a side getting 5 shots on target somehow. So stats might hint that a side doesnt usually create many chances or does create a lot.
The win stat is really the only valid stat, it over rides all other trivia

Stats: 100% of me has no opinion on xG or who’s boring in this decimated forum. 1 in 0 of me seeks fragile validation via responses of the most tragic connection of online forum nudges. 0 out of all of me is gratified by a smirky clique of smug ‘hi 5ers’. 100% of me is Forest.

Last edited:
Stats: 100% of me has no opinion on xG or who’s boring in this decimated forum. 1 in 0 of me seeks fragile validation via responses of the most tragic connection of online forum nudges. 0 out of all of me is gratified by a smirky clique of smug ‘hi 5ers’. 100% of me is Forest.

Blimey !

Is it me? Didn't understand a word of this, therefore it must be me, all I know is that we are top of the league, goal difference accepted at the moment.

Apologies for pointing out this technicality but goal difference acceptance means we are second.

Meant to be a stats fred poach ?

Apologies for pointing out this technicality but goal difference acceptance means we are second.

Meant to be a stats fred poach ?
No apology needed you are correct, I was initially replying to redsheps post, have reread it over and over, still don't understand it?, I am getting too old for this malarkey.