Statistical analysis of the season to date | Page 2 | Vital Football

Statistical analysis of the season to date

Exactly, these stats are interpreted as showing that Leeds are awesome and miles ahead of the pack, whereas the table shows that we are currently 2 points clear of them. This doesn't show me that Leeds are going to storm the league, but rather that the stats are inadequate to explain what is actually occuring.

Not a great fan of football stats, but from what I've seen Leeds look a better team than us. Luck can play a big factor in a small number of games. We are organised, work hard ,defend well, but lack creativity. Of course the proof of the pudding is where we are at the end of May.

Not a great fan of football stats, but from what I've seen Leeds look a better team than us. Luck can play a big factor in a small number of games. We are organised, work hard ,defend well, but lack creativity. Of course the proof of the pudding is where we are at the end of May.
Absolutely. For the first time in far too many years we are looking solid and organised at the back.

We aren’t creating too much however and over the season that will cost us. At the moment we are taking most of the chances that we are creating but how long will that continue?

Don’t get me wrong I am enjoying the fact that we are competing at the sharp end of the table and the fact that it looks like we may even keep a manager for a full season. I am also happy that we seem to be improving game by game.

But I want to keep looking upwards rather than down and to do that we need a bit more going forwards and be able to keep hold of the ball better than we do.

Why do we always want more?
This chase for the perfect scenario will only lead to disappointment in the end.
My view is take it for what it is and smile, do you think Blades or Cardiff previously were concerned about stats!

As said previously looking back on the season so far, there is very little scope to improve on results and that’s why we are top!

This chase for the perfect scenario will only lead to disappointment in the end.
My view is take it for what it is and smile, do you think Blades or Cardiff previously were concerned about stats!

As said previously looking back on the season so far, there is very little scope to improve on results and that’s why we are top!

We aren't top.

The point is that we wont always be able to:

A) Shut teams out
B) Rely on pressuring teams into mistakes

Especially if we have ambitions to compete at a higher level we constantly need to be looking to improve. Right now that's ball retention and creativity.

Do you think we are good enough for promotion with the side we have and based on both performances and results?

If you do then great but I am concerned that the results will dry up as we fail to score against teams and they start scoring against us.

We are so close to having a team and squad that is capable of challenging properly that it would be mad not to improve it. We have a manager who seems to know what he is doing and an owner who, for all his faults is doing good things with regard to off field activities for the club.

More than that, this division is there for the taking if we make the most of the opportunity.

I think once teams stop going hard at us and prepare for our counter attack i fear we won't always have a Plan B. We are lacking a secondary goalscorer or holding target man (like Murphy but not murphy!) hope we can buy well in the Jan window...

I think once teams stop going hard at us and prepare for our counter attack i fear we won't always have a Plan B. We are lacking a secondary goalscorer or holding target man (like Murphy but not murphy!) hope we can buy well in the Jan window...

We will be a bit clearer after the next few games. Wigan away are likely to attack, being at home but not recklessly and will be happy with a point. Hull and Reading are more likely to park the bus a little more than most. Luton may well be happy with a point and Derby will as well. By mid November we will have an insight as to if this team can only counter attack or if they can turn possession in to points.

I imagine the most successful managers of today are completely obsessed with stats.
I also think that the successful managers of yesteryear were too, even if they just had a head for it rather than tabulating everything. ie. they were observant and did it by intuition and a good memory. It is still stats.

It isn't just football and big money. I've known Ultimate Frisbee teams keep stats on players so they can be the best they can be and good luck to them!
All competitive teams are, or should be, looking for ways to improve and using all the information available to make their decisions on how to run training or select the players.

We aren't top.

The point is that we wont always be able to:

A) Shut teams out
B) Rely on pressuring teams into mistakes

Especially if we have ambitions to compete at a higher level we constantly need to be looking to improve. Right now that's ball retention and creativity.

We definitely are top on points right?
I disagree on both points as in if we continue to shut teams out we will be right up there and nothing to suggest we can't continue to do that.

People were worried if Daws got injured, he did but we have a good replacement and everyone knows the team ethic when they do come in.

As for other teams mistakes, we nor anyone else can control that but if you are strong and organised it will frustrate the opposition.

Should the unexpected actually happen and we go up, you rip the team up and start again.

It's the old expectation v reality rearing its head, 3 points is all you get for a win no matter how you play or in whatever style, saying 'yeah we won but I want to do it better is for the Man City or Liverpool's of this world not us imo.

Last edited:
Do you think we are good enough for promotion with the side we have and based on both performances and results?

If you do then great but I am concerned that the results will dry up as we fail to score against teams and they start scoring against us.

We are so close to having a team and squad that is capable of challenging properly that it would be mad not to improve it. We have a manager who seems to know what he is doing and an owner who, for all his faults is doing good things with regard to off field activities for the club.

More than that, this division is there for the taking if we make the most of the

Dont know if we are good enough but I do know the points hall after 10 games if projected over the season is enough to go up in some style I would add.

Personally based on who we've played so far I see no evidence to suggest a dramatic drop in points haul, if anything there is an argument to say we should get better as we play more together and we have lower placed teams to play.

I'd be interested to hear any factual based theory behind why the points haul from the next 10 games will be dramatically lower?
Sorry but 'luck is not factual based

We definitely are top on points right?
I disagree on both points as in if we continue to shut teams out we will be right up there and nothing to suggest we can't continue to do that.

People were worried if Daws got injured, he did but we have a good replacement and everyone knows the team ethic when they do come in.

As for other teams mistakes, we nor anyone else can control that but if you are strong and organised it will frustrate the opposition.

Should the unexpected actually happen and we go up, you rip the team up and start again.

It's the old expectation v reality rearing its head, 3 points is all you get for a win no matter how you play or in whatever style, saying 'yeah we won but I want to do it better is for the Man City or Liverpool's of this world not us imo.

We aren't top on points lol we are second and not far away from mid table either.

If you think our manager is remotely satisfied with our performances to date you're nuts. He's said as much so himself, which is great as we have ridden our luck at times and often surrendered possession too easily, without creating nearly enough.

It's also a sign of a good manager to be constantly driven to improve their side. If you don't you fall behind. Just ask Spurs or United.

We aren't top on points lol we are second and not far away from mid table either.

If you think our manager is remotely satisfied with our performances to date you're nuts. He's said as much so himself, which is great as we have ridden our luck at times and often surrendered possession too easily, without creating nearly enough.

It's also a sign of a good manager to be constantly driven to improve their side. If you don't you fall behind. Just ask Spurs or United.
Dont disagree with that other than virtually zero room for improvement in terms of points collected.

And we are equal top ?

I am not entirely in agreement with some of the posts. For instance, the one about teams working us out. That is nonsense. You can set up to nullify but you can't set up for every eventuality and Sabri is very fluid with his tactics. We do not play the same game for 90 mins. He is a very good tactician and changes shape and personnel. To suggest that teams will work us out suggests we play one formation, one route football. We don't.

We will get better as well. I think everyone recognises that and the likelihood is that we will strengthen in January, with attacking option being at the forefront of peoples minds.

I am not entirely in agreement with some of the posts. For instance, the one about teams working us out. That is nonsense. You can set up to nullify but you can't set up for every eventuality and Sabri is very fluid with his tactics. We do not play the same game for 90 mins. He is a very good tactician and changes shape and personnel. To suggest that teams will work us out suggests we play one formation, one route football. We don't.

We will get better as well. I think everyone recognises that and the likelihood is that we will strengthen in January, with attacking option being at the forefront of peoples minds.

Loving this 100% Forest 0% nonsense post chap. Why don't you post like this more often?

I've said this before, but how many times in recent years have we played teams at the top of the table and said they are not that good (Norwich away was one we should have won comfortably), but they end up picking points up and get promoted.
This season thus far we have had moments of good footie, the goal away at Fulham springs to mind and we have been defensively efficient in not letting goals in.
As mentioned, SL states there is room for improvement with our attacking play and ball retention.
My opinion is that being organised defensively can be coached, however attacking play can sometimes be more of playing together and getting to know the runs other players make. This takes time.
We have three players in advanced positions that are new to the club and one more who missed preseason and the start of the season. Is this the reason Lolley and Cash are forming a decent partnership?
I think we are going to improve and score more goals. We have at least two players with probably better vision and skill than this division deserves.

Agree and partially agree with anglia red about attacking play. These two factors are reason why our foward play is still a bit stilted.

Not sure about Jan tho cos getting a decent player at the right price is very difficult and if mir comes good we might think we can make it. As mir is fit again we will know soon enough.