Standard claim Manure ready to pay 'huge' compensation to get Poch and coaches.. | Vital Football

Standard claim Manure ready to pay 'huge' compensation to get Poch and coaches..

Spursex

Alert Team
Man Utd prepared to pay huge compensation fee to prise Mauricio Pochettino from Tottenham

mauriciopochettino1602.jpg

Top target: Ed Woodward is keen to appoint Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino

Jose Mourinho underestimated Manchester United’s appetite for change.

When the time came to cut the cord on his toxic reign, £20million was considered a price worth paying.

“If they send me away, do you have any idea how much money they would have to give me?” Mourinho told Italian reporters in September.

Three months later he was sacked – and United’s latest financial results, which included record revenues of £208m and profits of £44m, serve as evidence of the club’s ability to absorb the cost of failure.

And if Daniel Levy believes a compensation package running into tens of millions of pounds will prove prohibitive to Ed Woodward’s pursuit of Mauricio Pochettino, he will be disappointed.

Tottenham’s manager provided a latest reminder of why he has long-been at the top of United’s managerial wish-list this week by steering Spurs to within 90 minutes of the Champions League quarter finals.

Just weeks after two cup exits in the space three days took the shine off his candidacy to become the permanent successor to Mourinho, Spurs’ re-emergence as title contenders and Wednesday’s 3-0 win against Borussia Dortmund have justified Woodward’s ongoing admiration.

United’s executive vice chairman this week underlined his intention to continue his extensive and thorough process to recruit a fourth manager in six years, despite Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s outstanding start as interim.

"We're not going to give updates part way through," he told investors on the New York Stock Exchange.

Privately, the feeling within Old Trafford is that Solskjaer’s rising credentials to get the job are a good problem to have.

But if the Norwegian is appointed, it will be due United’s resurgence on the pitch, rather than the fact he represents a much cheaper option than Pochettino – or indeed any of the other names under consideration, from Max Allegri to Zinedine Zidane.

Standard Sport understands United will not be put off by the prospect of paying Spurs a compensation fee, which it is believed will exceed the £34m value of the remaining four years of Pochettino’s contract.

As far as United’s accounts are concerned the package would be spread across the length of any proposed deal at Old Trafford, making it a considerably less daunting figure.

Such figures are unusual and even outlandish for managerial appointments – but considering Woodward’s desperation to get the right man, the cost of landing Pochettino is unlikely to be the determining factor if the Argentine can be convinced to make the switch.

Put into context, United were willing to pay £52m for Fred last summer and the Brazilian is still to make 10 Premier League starts.

I
Woodward knows he is facing a critical few months in his tenure as he conducts a dual search for a manager and director of football.

Pressure on him has eased thanks to Solskjaer’s transformative effect since succeeding Mourinho in December.

The 1999 Treble-winning hero has also provided him with a unlikely wildcard.

But defeat to Paris Saint Germain on Tuesday provided something of a reality check.

With games against Chelsea, Liverpool and the return to PSG coming up in quick succession, Solskjaer’s future could go a long way to being decided within the next few weeks.

There is growing support for the 45-year-old from all levels of the club, as well as among supporters.

Should he maintain United’s place in the top four, he would make a compelling argument to remain in position.

But Woodward has strategically bought himself time to make a decision – and United will continue to closely monitor Pochettino.

Two men now lead the race to be handed the keys to Old Trafford in the summer. And when the decision is made, it will be down to credentials, rather than cost.

Be interesting to see what the theoretical compensation would be to THFC. It's obviously not just Poch's contracts. He works with Perez, D'Agostino and Jimenez and my guess is that they would all go with him. Even at £20k a week each, that's £3m a year so that's another £12-15m compensation to buy out their contracts, maybe more. I thought I heard on TalkSport a while back that the actual compensation would be closer to £70m. That's obviously not prohibitive to a club like Utd.

This doesn't ever go away. Even if Utd appoint someone like OGS, the press will always be linking Poch every time they have a bad result.

Is there any reason Levy would have to accept any offer? Aside from Poch wanting to go I mean. Poch is imo worth more to us than the 8.5M/year we pay him. The article implies United can decide the terms, but can we not just say "not available at any price"?

i will bet that Poch is with us next season. he spoke pretty clearly of his committment, signed contract, that it's a project he's on board with. plus that realistically he can't do anything about L&L's decisions. who the f are 'The Standard' and what do they know, nothing, they are making it up on the back of MU 0-2 loss. agree, boring, a hard-up journo trying to look influential

I still firmly believe a lot will depend on how we close this seaseon. If we seal up top 4, continue to play well in the CL, and probably most importantly...and could seal the deal for him to stay...MP MUST be given a good sized purse to improve the squad.

He he isn't given a chance to improve the squad how he sees fit and/or we don't land in top 4 he is gone.

Yes this is all on the board now. He has done wonders with limited resources since he has been with us. We now need to alter. Our structure in order to pay more and spend on the right transfers. I don't think Poch is one to go and spend money for the sake of it. He always says he wants the right players. There is no doubt we have missed out on targets due to the fact we do not spend big but in the summer if we are in the top 4 again and what with the Champions league revenue that we will receive from this year's run we have to give him the opportunity to refresh the squad as he sees fit. And this is not by giving him the money that we may earn from Toby and Chris (potentially £125M) but boosting that by another £50-100M. If we do manage to keep those two we still need to give Poch significant funds and that means £100M to take us to the next level and ensure we challenge next season from the off. No World Cup or other competitions mean all players will get a good rest and a pre-season.

If Danny boy and the rest of the board do not give him this he will go to Utd or Real where money is practically no issue and who could really blame him.

Yes this is all on the board now. He has done wonders with limited resources since he has been with us. We now need to alter. Our structure in order to pay more and spend on the right transfers. I don't think Poch is one to go and spend money for the sake of it. He always says he wants the right players. There is no doubt we have missed out on targets due to the fact we do not spend big but in the summer if we are in the top 4 again and what with the Champions league revenue that we will receive from this year's run we have to give him the opportunity to refresh the squad as he sees fit. And this is not by giving him the money that we may earn from Toby and Chris (potentially £125M) but boosting that by another £50-100M. If we do manage to keep those two we still need to give Poch significant funds and that means £100M to take us to the next level and ensure we challenge next season from the off. No World Cup or other competitions mean all players will get a good rest and a pre-season.

If Danny boy and the rest of the board do not give him this he will go to Utd or Real where money is practically no issue and who could really blame him.

lol - Poch has had £30m net spending in 5 years. If he does leave then a successor could have £125m from Toby and Chris, another £50-100m from Levy and another £50-75m from Utd or RM for Poch's compensation. It suddenly becomes a very attractive job.

I'd prefer he didn't go; but I'm now pretty sure that if the position for him and his staff is offered, that he and they will take it.

I don't think there is anything the club can do to stop it. I also now believe the board know it.

If he joins he'll at least double his salary (or more) as will his staff; he'll be given an almost unlimited transfer spend based on moving out around £250 mill of unwanted/not good enough talent plus around another £200 mill of available funding; no one in their right minds could turn that down.

And that would all be available to him in his first season over two windows (it's why all the agents are already manouvering to 'get involved at every level).

I had dinner with an agent who may or may not have a hand in the merry-go-round that would occur, he generally gets it more right than wrong. His personal view was that IF Manure decide he is the man; then no amount of compensation will stop them from getting him., and as he said he knows Poch's 'confidential advisor' he seemed absolutely certain about his views.

He too thought that Poch's latest utterances were contradictory and confusing and were intended to muddy the waters prior to moving. I asked if he thought he'd already been approached and got the normal 'friend of a friend' will have asked about the level of interest should they formalise their approach...

Sadly, I think it is inevitable unless the clamour for Ole becomes so loud, so irresistible that they have no choice because of what he achieves with them this season.

Manure have a policy of producing talent from within, yet are also looking for a 'long-term' solution that will not be linked to 'Fergie' and his way of doing things; the key institutional investors and the Glaziers in the US want a long term solution they can get behind, the Manure CEO wants to bring an end to the off-field turmoil, as his neck is on the line...

To them Poch has produced miracles at Spurs and they believe with Manures almost 'limitless' financial resources that he's the man to take on ManCity and quieten the noisy neighbours.

So, cross your fingers Manure do something spectacular this last part of the season, because if they don't - he'll be gone.

lol - Poch has had £30m net spending in 5 years. If he does leave then a successor could have £125m from Toby and Chris, another £50-100m from Levy and another £50-75m from Utd or RM for Poch's compensation. It suddenly becomes a very attractive job.

We'll have no trouble filling the role - wether Levy & Co get it right or not is perhaps the billion pound question now.

i will bet that Poch is with us next season. he spoke pretty clearly of his committment, signed contract, that it's a project he's on board with. plus that realistically he can't do anything about L&L's decisions. who the f are 'The Standard' and what do they know, nothing, they are making it up on the back of MU 0-2 loss. agree, boring, a hard-up journo trying to look influential

FWIW, The standards football journo's are all pretty well connected and don't indulge in click-bait, if they're printing it, it has some basis in truth.

Is there any reason Levy would have to accept any offer? Aside from Poch wanting to go I mean. Poch is imo worth more to us than the 8.5M/year we pay him. The article implies United can decide the terms, but can we not just say "not available at any price"?

He can say that; but that defence generally doesn't last long. Poch and & Co will simply say 'we want to go' and have no intention turning this down and that will be that. The board will then want to move quickly to address the issue of compensation so that it doesn't drag on all summer - and so that they can appoint a new man ASAP so that he/his team can hit the ground running come the new season.

Poch and his staff could be offered more money by Levy . They are already on good money. I think Poch's philosophy is to earn success not buy it. He is happy with Spurs , that means a lot to him.

He has the better training facility, better stadium, his family are settled. He is in tune with the players. He is over-achieving. He has brought us this far and could be about to see the fruits of his efforts.

The Man U players already showed their disgraceful behaviour in getting rid of Jose. Poch will not over achieve at Man U. The life span of managers since SAF is short.

His future at Man U is pressure, bought titles and potential failure if the players don't buy into his ways.

We'll have no trouble filling the role - wether Levy & Co get it right or not is perhaps the billion pound question now.

I think we all know what the answer to that would be. Poch and his team leaving would see a very rapid downward spiral for us. A total loss of identity.

Poch and his staff could be offered more money by Levy . They are already on good money. I think Poch's philosophy is to earn success not buy it. He is happy with Spurs , that means a lot to him.

He has the better training facility, better stadium, his family are settled. He is in tune with the players. He is over-achieving. He has brought us this far and could be about to see the fruits of his efforts.

The Man U players already showed their disgraceful behaviour in getting rid of Jose. Poch will not over achieve at Man U. The life span of managers since SAF is short.

His future at Man U is pressure, bought titles and potential failure if the players don't buy into his ways.

The board could offer Poch more money, but then pigs might fly. They are not going to double his salary.

As for Poch's philosophy; in my experience, when money talks bullshit walks; all we can do is hope that the attraction of a bigger club, more money, vast transfer funds and the ability to buy almost any player he wants isn't enough to persuade him or his family.

He'd hardly be slumming it at ManU's training ground and playing in front of 75,000 every week (soon to be close to 85,000 if they get the new planning they've put in for) would probably be quite nice too...

As for the rest, he's spent a life in football living from game to game and knows how it works.

I wouldn't want to bet on any 'advantages' that we might have as being decisive in his future decision making.

I think we all know what the answer to that would be. Poch and his team leaving would see a very rapid downward spiral for us. A total loss of identity.

hmm, no ones irreplacable - it will ALL depend on what type of character they bring in next, But I can see why you'd think that.